Epidurals

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
When I had my daughter, my water broke before labor started, and because there is a risk of infection if the baby isn't delivered within 24 hours, I had to get started on pitocin. Pitocin contractions (from what I heard) are a lot worse than normal contractions. I had gone into labor not wanting pain relief or an epidural. But those contractions with the pitocin were awful and I opted for the epidural. To this day I regret that decision. Following the birth of my daughter, I was in physical therapy for my back for about 6 months. I still have back pain and there are times where I can't pick up my daughter or that it I'm stuck lying down. It stinks!!! I don't know if this is related directly to the epidural, but my physical therapist seems to think so. I've also had awful headaches, which are another common side effect for months (and years) after epidurals.
I'm not trying to pressure anyone not to have one, its obviously a personal choice. I just thought I'd share my story about them. I just think that if you are thinking about pain options for labor and delivery, that you do some research into the side effects of them. Under no circumstances will I be having an epidural next time. But thats just me.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 11th, 2005, 05:04 AM
sanderson76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to sanderson76
I had it with both of my girls. With the first one they already had me so drugged from the IV I honestly don't remember much other than him having me roll in a ball with he did it.

With my second one I remember because they had me set up and roll my back. It doesn't hurt, its actually a strange feeling. I don't think I could of done it with it.

When i weigh it all out..i was hurting more with the contractions than what the epidural. And when I do conceive this time I will have it again. I have no regrets because it actually allowed me relax and enjoy the giving birth part if that makes sense.

MY BLOG

August 11th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
I do have headaches more now then in the past, but I have always had back problems. So I don't know if they are related. But, there are risks with everything you do for your baby.

As for dh, he turned completely white and ran to the bathroom. The nurse told him to wait outside. I let out a whine during the contraction and my mom said he about fainted. He was afraid I would be paralyzed after the epi.

I also had pitocin. I started labor not feeling the contractions at all. Then after the pitocin, I was having them every minute for about 8 hours. It was awful. They didn't think I was getting them strong enough so they increased it to the max. I think that is the MAIN reason I was in sooooo much pain. I'm going to try to stay away from that next time!
August 11th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MelodyS
My stomach has been crawling while reading all these posts!!!! Absolutely no epidural for me. Now I might consider having a little demerol (sp?) but no thanks to the big scary needle in my back.

August 11th, 2005, 06:03 AM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Labor is painful for everyone, that's a given...however, some of us have longer labors, complications, etc. I don't think of anyone differently because they did or didn't have an epidural. It just wasn't the right thing for me. What I have said to my best friend who is preg with #1 is...see how it goes first, don't walk into this with your mind set that you're having all kinds of drugs and an epi, etc. Talk to your doc before and be as informed as you can on the risks and benefits of everything. You may get through it without drugs and you might not, everyone's different

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
August 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have mentioned to various people that I probably will not get an epidural...I have a serious phobia of needles to the point that it causes me to hyperventilate. Anytime I get a new hygenist at the dentist office, they freak out because I darn near stop breathing if I have to get a needle. I know it's all in my head, but I seriously haven't been able to do anything about it, I just freak out.

Anyway, every person I have said that to has said "oh, you'll get one, just wait". So now between my fear of getting needles and my desire to show these people that everyone is different and *maybe* I'll be ok without one, I'm more determined NOT to get one
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
August 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had a spinal because I had to deliver by c-section (and will be this time around also), it isn't bad at all. All I felt was the poke when they numbed my back other then that I didn't feel a thing. It's the easiest part if you ask me. Much better then the IV and the cathedar that I had to get!!!

Angie

=May '05 and '11

August 11th, 2005, 09:04 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The needle in your back will be the LEAST of your concerns should you choose to opt for one lol.

Also - chances are you could easily be put on an IV (depending on your situation) even without an epidural. I needed one before I even opted for the epidural. And most other meds are administered through the IV as well.

So... I wouldnt worry too much about it. Unless you are against pain medication all together - then leave it open as an option.

You really wont be too worried about it if you decide you need pain medication. Its one of the few that allow you to be completely alert.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 11th, 2005, 09:18 AM
EmmasMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to EmmasMommy
My IV hurt while I was getting it - and it bled pretty badly, but after it was in it didn't really bother me. I had other things on my mind (like getting the baby out)!!!! The epidural was uncomfortable while I was getting it. But it just felt like a prick - they numb the area first before actually putting the epidural catheter in your spine. It was just uncomfortable to sit hunched over for so long. But let me tell you - IT WAS SO WORTH IT!!! I will definitely have an epidural with my next childbirth because it took so much pain away and I could actually somewhat enjoy my labor and concentrate on taking it all in.

</div>
August 11th, 2005, 10:05 AM
toni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think they need to train nurses better...they had to try like 3 different times to get the iv in with ds and they finally got it. They gave me pain medication through iv wiith ds and with dd and both made me really sick. Won't hae that again. They tried putting an iv in wtih dd and the nurse couildn't do it..she belew a vein(hurt like hell)..The midwife tried and got it on the first try. I had an epi with ds and it was horrible....the ###### anesthiologist did it wrong and it only worked on one side. I told him this and he didn't believe me..he told me to lay on my side. IT sucked bigtime. I said I wouldn't have one again...but i whimped out and had one with dd and it was wonderful. I am going to try to go natural with #3..so we'll see.

August 11th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Brie
Well, I was terrified of needles - and the thought of an epideral gave me goosebumps. When I had to deliver my baby stillbirth they had to induce labor (because I was only 20 weeks). I held off as long as I possibly could. But the pain was horrendous. By the time I finally requested one it felt like a misquito bite compared to the contractions. Then I layed down and took a nap for an hour. I woke up when the doctor arrived and delivered Hope immediately. So, now I'm not worried at all. I wonder if it's true labor pains are worse if they have to induce. If that's the case maybe I won't need an epidural this time. Crossing my fingers.
Brie

Feb. '06 Playroom[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search