Epidurals

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2005, 07:13 PM
MommytoCS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, for all you ladies who have had them before...are they really THAT bad??? In an earlier post I mentionned that I am TERRIFIED of needles and am a little worried about getting a needle in my BACK! Also can't stand the thought of an IV in my hand...a needle poking into my vein...ugh......sorry TMI!
August 10th, 2005, 07:28 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Oh, God. I'm not afraid of needles, really, nor have I had an epidural. But there IS something about that IV in the hand--especially in the wrist.

I actually almost fainted reading your post.

August 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Oh I am sooo sorry! That's definitely not the reaction I wanted....if it makes you feel any better, I almost fainted typing the message. The only reason I thought of it was all the talk of watching "A Baby Story" because I always worry about epidurals while watching that show.
August 10th, 2005, 07:41 PM
maof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to maof2
Ididn't think it was so bad, but by the time they gave me the epidual I was pretty much out of it. I had pre eclampsia with Austin and they had me on other drugs.
And by the way I hate needles of any kind.

August 10th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
I didn't have the option of an epidural with my son, but I'll tell you this much...I'd take the pain of something stuck in my back over those $^#@ contractions any day!!!!

However, the IV in my hand sucked! It was horrible.

August 10th, 2005, 07:51 PM
No need to apologize, Deanna!!! Hehe. I just really have a thing against IVs. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I didn't know until a couple of years ago that what remains in your hand/arm is plastic, not metal. Didn't really help too much, but... They also blow the veins on me easily, so I end up with blood all around me after an IV. (Sorry.)

I've not had epidurals, but I've had spinal taps/injections. They hurt immediately, but were just sore after. Is an epidural pretty much this???

(Glad you asked this question--I've been thinking about it myself.)

August 10th, 2005, 07:53 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had both children without drugs because I was more scared of a needle in my back than the contractions Honestly...I think I would have to be near death to have an epi. As far as the IV needle...I am one of those patients that requires "IV services" I have a tendency to pass out those are the people that just do IVs on difficult veiny people like me! When I was in the ER with our m/c...I had 2 nurses on each arm, trying to get it in...yes, I passed out...it was better that way

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
August 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Right there with you, LouLou. They always laugh when I ask for a sedative when they take forever to put the IV in.

NO, I'M SERIOUS!

So then I just cry and feel like a wuss. (And I'm not.)

August 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
When I had my epideral and this is what most dr do...they give you the needle in the middle of a contraction...

here's what they do...

You sit up and bend over so that you spine can stick out the most. You are sitting on a bed. The nurse or dh (if he's not like my dh) can hold you COMPLETELY still. The dr will then watch the monitor for a contraction. When that happens. They put the needle in. I DID NOT even feel it. I felt the contraction and that was all. And I'm telling you...after the epideral, I fell asleep. If it wasn't for that epideral, I would probably had to have a c-section. I was only at 4 cm when given the epideral but after I woke up from my 1 hour nap, I was ready to push.

After giving birth, I was outta bed and taking a shower after an hour! It was a great experience for me and I will probably do it the same way if I can't handle the "back labor" as I had before.

So it's not that bad.
August 10th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh...but don't look at the needle. My dr was really good at not showing it to me. Afterwards, I noticed a bucket of blood that had dripped down my back. I never felt any of it!!
August 10th, 2005, 08:09 PM
See...I'm freaked already, just reading that gave me the heebie-jeebies ...even if I didn't look...I would know and that's what freaks me out

August 10th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh if you were in as much pain as it takes for someone to want an epideral...you really won't care!! hehe
August 10th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mommyandowen@Aug 10 2005, 10:11 PM
Oh if you were in as much pain as it takes for someone to want an epideral...you really won't care!!* hehe
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
Okay, I did only have a 4 hr labor with both children I still get the heebie-jeebies though...I can't watch when they do it on tv

August 10th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Katlynsmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Katlynsmommy Send a message via MSN to Katlynsmommy Send a message via Yahoo to Katlynsmommy
i didnt have any problems with the epidural of course the whole time i concentrated on my contractions i was having while they did it lol
August 10th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
4 hour labors!!! Must me nice!! hehe

I had really bad back labor. And I tried my best not to have an epideral, but oppps it happened. Dh turned white and had to run to the bathroom. He was really worried about it. But, all was fine!
August 10th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i too did not have an epidural because i was more scared of them than contractions. i still am.

August 10th, 2005, 08:39 PM
UGH....stomach churning here....thanks for the insight! I agree that it sounds like the epidural is the lesser of two evils for me. *gulp* What exactly is back labour?
August 10th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
when the baby is pushing on your back muscles and senses...Basically he was laying on my back when coming down. My back felt like someone could have ripped my spine out and it would have some how been better. It was awful!! Until I got that..I was doing fine but then Owen moved somehow and laid on something he shouldn't have. Plus, I have scoliosis and muscle spasms in my back to start with.
August 10th, 2005, 10:05 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know I'm probably nuts - but I really want to look inot any options to do with no drugs during labor/delivery. I really hate being medicated. I'm ok with needles as long as they are taking something out, but I don't like anything going in. My cousin had an allergic reaction to the epi & it was horrid, her BP went crazy, they had to take it out & treat her for that & she had to stay on all 4's for the rest of delivery - PLUS she had to have her oxygen mask turned on so high (she was having throat swelling from the reaction, they almost did a trake) thatit burnt her face severely. It was pretty horrendous & EXACTLY what I've always been afraid of. So I'm not sure I'll even do a pain pill, let alone IV meds. I guess we'll wait & see. I had a natural mc & it wasn't easy, but if delivery is just that x3 or x4 - I can handle it.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

August 10th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Oh, God. "Heebie-Jeebies" is the perfect term for what I'm feeling. My hands and feet are tingling...and I'm really not squeamish! I don't know that DH can handle it, either--he's cried every time he's watched the IV because it takes forever and lots of blood.

I think that I'm going to have him stand beside me with a hammer--when the pain gets to me, HIT ME!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search