When to seek medical advice?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Ok, I haven't been on here very long, but I'm just wondering when I should call my dr to start some testinmg. We've been trying actively 2-3 times a week since June. I've been off the pill since March. My cycles have been as long as 32 days and last month as short as 23 days (?). I'm so confused. Temping is just very difficult to do and it seems like a lot of work. I read that I should have my thyroid and prolactin checked (and Dh too). What can I do to see if I'm actually Oing? Or maybe its Dh. What tests can I do now? We're really getting bumped out, we don't talk about babies much anymore so we don't jinks ourselves....Please help. Thanks Tisha

oh yeah, I forgot that I stopped using opk this month because they didn't seem to work for me previously..
September 15th, 2007, 06:39 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I'm not an expert, but I think most Dr's like you to chart and temp for 6 months before they start testing. But I'm not 100% sure.
Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon!!

((((hugs))))

September 15th, 2007, 07:33 AM
KimsBlessedWith#5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome aboard Tish, since I dont think I did already! As far as TTC, usually most docs wont check you until you have been trying for 12 months with no success. I want to wish you luck and I am sorry you are getting discouraged. *hugs*

*Thank you Tasha-Mae for my beautiful siggy*

September 15th, 2007, 07:37 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The first course of action is for a dr. to normally have you chart several months to try to pinpoint the problem (short luteal phase, lack of fertile cm, bad timing, etc).

It seems to me that it's very likely that you're just not timing it well. It's difficult time perfectly when your o date jumps around (as is indicated by the 23-day cycle & 32 day cycle) and you're only bd'ing 2-3 times per week.

I believe you also have to be ttc for at least a year without becoming pregnant if you're under the age of 30. If over 30, then ttc for at least 6 mos without becoming pregnant before a dr. will do anything for you or run any tests.

Temping really isn't a lot of work, you wake at the same time each morning, take your temp and then write it on your chart. You can leave it up to your dr. or charting software to interpret it for you. Just continue as you've been doing...

September 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lindsey608
to what Jess said.

Timing it just right can be hard, especially when you might ovulate late!

September 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, here's my thoughts. I also recommend charting, however, I am very aware that some people just don't like charting and that's okay. There are other ways to check if you are ovulating and I am going to have to disagree with everyone else I think it's worth a shot calling your doctor. They probably won't run a bunch of tests, but if you told them your cycle lengths and how much they are varying they might be willing to check your progesterone levels. Checking your progesterone levels is a good way to tell if you are ovulating or not.

Another thing I would try is OPKs. OPKs you can get pretty cheap online and they can be very helpful. It is important to remember that OPKs will not confirm ovulation. You can get a positive OPK and not ovulate, but they definitely are a good indicator of ovulation.

I will also recommend charting for a cycle or two just to confirm ovulation, but if you really don't want to chart then I would go with OPKs and talk to your doctor about having your progesterone checked. Hope that helps.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
September 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i will talk about ME

I tried for ONE cycle and I went to the doc that I didnt get pregnant. My doc of 5 years didnt pay much attention to my concerns (long cycle, feeling that I might have not ovulated) He didnt even look at my char tand does not blieve in them and gave me till September 2008.

I went and got another doc, and I told her that I was there because I started TTC and my cycle was too long and O wasnt sure etc, and SHE RECOMMENDED running tests FIRST before we continue rather than having to wait 6-12 months and then realize that there was somthing we should have tested and caught 12 months ago! She told me that it is usually a concern if you TTC at least 6 months unsuccessfully but mostly up to 12 months.

She sent me for LH, FSH, TSH, Prolactin, HCG and u/s on Monday to ensure that there is nothing going wrong especially because I was on some hormonal form of BC.

You know your body and women are blessed with a special instincts that goes beyond the doc's word...I wouldn't just sit and wait for 6-12 months. There is nothing to loose by contacting a doc NOW, whereas waiting and then 6 months pass and then you learn doc would have helped 6 months ago, will leave you feeling terrible.

That is what I FELT despite what my 5 year doc said.

It all bottles down to what you feel...but that is just me, and that is what I did. Sounded funny to see a doc because you didnt get a BFP first cycle, but I had to do what I felt I should do...considering I have been pregnant twice before and I know how fast it happened. Better safe than sorry for me.

Please let us know what you decide and I wish you the best with your DH on this!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
September 15th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted!!
My DH and I want to call our dr and see what he says. My cycles are just varied since coming off bc for 12 years. I just hope it hasn't caused any problems for us. Today Af showed again... I'll post again after I talk with dr. Tisha
September 15th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wish you the best with the doc and I hope you get a BFP this cycle....!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
September 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to JM! I agree with Teresa and Proverbs31Mom. I, too, haven't been TTC for long. I went to my doc to ask for test (before I even got married to cut down on time. They did an FSH, TSH, Progesterone, glucose and insulin resistance test. They didn't do a Prolactin (I don't think). After the tests results, they just told me that I wasn't getting any younger and I needed to get pg sooner than later! Needless to say, I switched docs. The doc I see now met with DH & I befoe we started TTC and she told us we could try without any medical assistance for one cycle and then step it up for the next one, if unsuccessful. We are now at the next step (Clomid). Just call you doc and voice your opinion. If, you feel you're care isn't managed well, seek out another doc! GL & welcome again. You'll love it here....

~Thanks 3Daughters for my lovely siggy!~
September 15th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In my opinion, it is never too early to contact a doctor if you are concerned about your body. I have been actively trying since May and decided to go see a doctor when I noticed varying cycle lengths and uncertain temps on my charts. My cycles are also anywhere from around 23 to 35 days. The doctor ran some hormone tests and found that nothing is technically wrong that she could see but some of my hormone levels are off and I am not ovulating normally each month so she went ahead and prescribed Clomid to get thngs going. I do know that not all doctors are the same and there are a lot of doctors who won't do anything unless you have been trying for 6 months to a year, but after my discussion with mine she basically wanted to help me have the same chances as everyone else.

And of course there's definitely the option that it's just a timing issue, but there's nothing wrong with having things checked out to see.

September 16th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Quote:
In my opinion, it is never too early to contact a doctor if you are concerned about your body. I have been actively trying since May and decided to go see a doctor when I noticed varying cycle lengths and uncertain temps on my charts. My cycles are also anywhere from around 23 to 35 days. The doctor ran some hormone tests and found that nothing is technically wrong that she could see but some of my hormone levels are off and I am not ovulating normally each month so she went ahead and prescribed Clomid to get thngs going. I do know that not all doctors are the same and there are a lot of doctors who won't do anything unless you have been trying for 6 months to a year, but after my discussion with mine she basically wanted to help me have the same chances as everyone else.

And of course there's definitely the option that it's just a timing issue, but there's nothing wrong with having things checked out to see.[/b]
Thanks I will definitely try my options and report back...
September 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Just wanted to WELCOME you and say GOOD LUCK!! I would also give your dr. a call and see what he says....keep us posted!!!</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search