Pregnancy and Kimchi?

Forum: Trying to Conceive

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was curious if it's okay to eat Kimchi during pregnancy. I know there's concern with eating fish because of the mercury content... but does this apply to Kimchi as well? Some Kimchi's have shrimp/Oysters/Anchovies/etc ...
I don't eat seafood, and I'm trying to find a non-seafood Kimchi... but was wondering if I need to be extra careful...

Pounds Lost Before Our Second Miracle: 57

January 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think anything is wrong with it. I ate so much seafood when I was pregnant because I craved it so badly. Seafood is actually great for brain development, you just have to not eat tons of the large fish like tuna and shark.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

January 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
LadyOrion's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to LadyOrion Send a message via Yahoo to LadyOrion Send a message via Skype™ to LadyOrion
My doc told me no shellfish when your pregnant. It has bacterias in them that could be harmful to unborn babies.

January 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just curious what is Kimchi? I have never heard of that..

January 8th, 2008, 03:07 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
My Dr told me no ocean fish at all. River caught and farm raised are fine to eat. Sorry hon:-/

January 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Never heard of it.

I have eaten crab, shrimp, and lobster when I am pg. Not A LOT, maybe 1 or 2 times.

January 8th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What is Kimchi?
January 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I googled and found this:
http://community.thenestbaby.com/cs/ks/blo...ood-safety.aspx

Q: Is it safe to eat fish while TTC?

A: When you say sayonara to birth control, you should also bid adieu to those swordfish steaks. Swordfish, shark, orange roughy, king mackerel, marlin, grouper and tilefish are all high in mercury, a neurotoxin that can harm a fetus’s developing brain and nervous system. Mercury can linger in your body for a year or more, so you should eliminate those fish from your diet when you’re TTC (or, ideally, a year before you start).

All sea creatures aren't off limits, though. Most fish and shellfish other than those listed above are safe for unborn babies and offer lots of low-fat protein and omega-3 fatty acids, both crucial to the health of you and your future baby.

January 8th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

Kimchi is basically preserved cabbage (or veggies) that are preserved in a red chili powder. Most Kimchi's are made with a Kimchi sauce, which contains water, salt, and some seafoods... most commonly shrimp. But I've seen Anchovy and Kanari, Oyster.. stuff like that. One of them just lists it as having Anchovy fish extract.. whatever that means.
Anyway, it's really spicy.... but it's supposed to be good for you too, since it's all veggies. Koreans eat it pretty much daily. I really wanted to try some, but I want to be on the safe side. If I make any, it'll have to be without the Kimchi sauce since it has seafood.. I just can't do seafood.

Pounds Lost Before Our Second Miracle: 57

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search