Maddox's Birth Story - 3/23/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Around March 20th, I was having LOTS of BH, several contrax per hour and awful pain and pressure in my back and bottom. We had our scheduled c-section for March 23rd, so I just dealt with it knowing if I went to L&D they would probably just send me home. The next couple of days were such a blur as I was in so much discomfort and literally writhing in pain many hours of the day. Sunday night DH and I watched Extreme Home Makeover and were enjoying our last night together pre-parents and we actually had a decent evening. I fell asleep relatively early - maybe a little after 10pm or so. Around 2:30 I woke up in so much pain. My back was aching so badly and I was having contractions like crazy. My belly would tighten up rock hard but the pain was in my back. I sat up and got on JM hoping the pain would subside as we weren't supposed to go to L&D till 12:30 for my csection which was sceduled at 2:30pm. The pain got worse and worse and finally I just couldn't handle it. I was breathing through the contrax and it woke DH up. I told him I thought we needed to go to L&D cause I coudn't handle the pain anymore. I told him I was going to take a bath and then we'd leave.

I took my bath and packed some last minute items. We loaded everything up in the car and away we went. We arrived at L&D around 4am. They got us back and hooked me up to the monitors and I was contracting every 1.5-2minutes with HORRIBLE back labor. The nurse checked my cervix and I was still 2cm dilated & 70% effaced - the same thing I'd been a week earlier. My nurse came in and told us they were admitting me but my Dr had 2 surgeries ahead of me. Apparently one lady's water broke and her baby was breech. She was checking in before me and was in no pain. I heard her and her DH say she was due April 5th and was in no pain but she thought her water broke. UGH. I was so PO'd a few hours later as I was in SOO much pain and she was fine lol! The nurse said my Dr wanted me to get my IV in and give me some morphine to "help" me get through till my section. Well.. the nurse got my IV in and gave me some morphine and my contrax did nothing but get stronger. I was literally moving all over the bed in pain. My poor DH. My mom and dad came, but they couldn't stand seeing me crying in pain so they left to get some breakfast. My OB came in and told us she thought my surgery would be between 9 and 10am. She saw the contrax on the monitor and got me some oxygen to help with my breathing and pain.

Everything from here till the section was pretty much a blur. I was hurting so badly. 9 came and no word from my doctor. 10 came.. same thing. Nearly 11 came and FINALLY they were ready for me! DH put on his lovely little scrub outfit and my mom took a couple pictures of us together in between a contraction before we went back. I walked back to the OR and sat on the table where they put in my spinal. The spinal was not bad at all and as soon as it was in and working I was SOOO happy! I was like a totally different woman After I was prepped and ready they brought my DH in and started the surgery. A few short minutes later my OB told dh to get ready cause she was about to pull out Maddox's head! Out came his head and then his body. They sucked out his airway and cut his cord and then I heard him scream! I automatically started crying! They took him over to the warmer and patted his back and sucked him out over and over, all the while he was screaming his little head off! His apgars were 8/9. My doctor was astounded by his size! The u/s said he was supposed to be approx. 7.7lbs! They were all taking guesses on his weight and it was all 9lbs +. He weighed in at 8lbs 10oz and was 19.5 inches long. They brought him over to me after he was cleaned up and I gave him some kisses! They took some family pictures for us and then Maddox and DH were off to the nursery. In the meantime I was being sewn up. My Dr was commenting on how she couldn't believe how big he was and I was right when I told her he was huge lol! She said at the time I came in she didn't think I was in real labor b/c my cervix wasn't changing but after getting him out she saw why. His forehead up stuck up against my pubic bone making his back in sort of an arched position & he had his umbilical cord around his neck causing him not to decend. She told my mom and I when I was in recovery that she could tell I had been in labor for days because my uterus was thin and tired from contracting so much. She said she is VERY glad we did the c-section as it would've been the end result regardless.

The next two days in the hospital were hard as far as pain was concered. I had a VERY hard time getting out of bed. My Dr had me on a morphine pump for the first 24 hrs and after that I was getting Percocet every 4 hrs. But, I was SO thrilled to finally have my baby boy in my arms!

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search