Leo Joseph Benzo

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
Let's start with Thursday.
I had no idea that this was the day it would all start. I got up in the morning, took a bath, cleaned the bathroom, started the first of 4 loads of laundry, did dishes and all kinds of stuff. I spent the afternoon and evening relaxing and coloring. At about 9:45 pm I put the coloring away and leaned to the side on the couch. All of a sudden there was a gush of fluids. Then a second gush. I jumped up off the couch and was going "whoa" which is what woke DH up. He asked me what was wrong and I told him that I thought my water had just broke. I ran up stairs, leaking the whole time. DH got me the phone and number for the doctor's office. I put a call through the answering service and she told me the doctor would call within 20 minutes. So, while waiting for the doctor to call back, I had DH gather stuff for the car and I called my best friend on a different phone. Well, after 20 minutes I called the answering service again. She tried to connect me directly, but I wound up on hold for more than 5 minutes again. I hung up and called back and the doctor was on the line with the lady at the answering service. She told me to come on in.
DH and I got in the car and started calling people as soon as we were in cell service range. We got to the hospital right before midnight. I walked up to the maternity ward and they started to put me in the assessment room until I told them that I had "wet my pants multiple times, uncontrollably" on the drive down. The nurse switched directions and put me into a labor & delivery room right away. DH and I just hung out for a while with the monitors on and all that goodness. The doctor warned me that it could be 12 to 24 hours before the baby came, but that I definitely had ruptured my membranes. I was between 1 and 2 cm at this point.
My best friend arrived around 1:00 am and my mom, step dad and brother arrived at 3:00 am. I was up and moving, walking, using the birthing ball and even used the hot tub for a while. My best friend and Eric were the most helpful ever. I tried to sleep at first, but the contractions were enough to keep me from sleeping. At around 6 am I told Eric and Katy that I was going to ask for the epidural. I knew I wanted to try natural, but I was exhausted on too many levels to keep going. When I told the nurse and she told the doctor I was informed that I would have to get my body rehydrated. They checked me and I was only 3 cm. I wound up being stuck to the IV rack from that point on. They started the pitocin around 7 or 7:30, and the epidural didn't start until 45 minutes later.
From that point on I was stuck in bed. I had lots of visitors, but did try to get a nap...got about 2 hours worth of interrupted sleep. Sometime around 12 or 1 the doctor came in and the nurse was telling him about the baby's heart rate decelerating during my contractions, but that it came back up right after. They stopped the pitocin--I was between 4 and 5 cm. I got to stay like that for a few hours and baby seemed to be doing fine. The doctor told me that he thought I'd be able to do this vaginally, but that it wouldn't work if the baby got too tired. He warned me that a c-section was a possibility. After a few hours he came back in and asked the nurse to start the pitocin back up at a very small amount and monitor the baby closely. Baby did just fine with the pitocin this time. I noticed that I could feel the contractions through the epidural...not painful, but noticeable. I told the doctor this when he came in at around 5:30. He decided to check me and told me that I was "complete" and that's why I could feel the contractions. At 5:45 he had me start pushing. At this point I kicked everyone out of the room except Eric. The doctor told me I'd probably go 2 full hours pushing. He was darned close on that prediction. Leo Joseph finally came out at 7:35 pm. His apgars were 9 and 9. I got to hold him right away.
Eric is very excited that we have our little boy. The doctor told him to take a look and he almost left the room before telling me what we had LOL. Eric got to cut the cord after it stopped pulsing. I delivered the placenta easily.
I guess all of our family and friends were sitting right outside the door. Asking questions and trying to get the doctor to tell them how things were and what the baby was, etc. My 19 year old brother was apparently about to come through the door to "save" me a few times. He had a hard time hearing his sister in pain.
Because of how long the labor was, how little sleep I got, and how many visitors we had, the doctor recommended that we stay an additional night. We didn't come home until Sunday afternoon.

Here are some pictures...in chronological order.

Stats
Leo Joseph Benzo
Born: 7:35 pm, Friday, September 5, 2008
Weight: 7 lbs 8 oz
Length: 21 inches
Head: 13.25 inches
Chest 13.5 inches
October 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
He is precious Kristen. Sorry I didn't notice this sooner. I plumb forgot we had a subform.
How are we doing a month later?

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search