20 DPO and testing negative

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to shauna0325
Hello, I'm Shauna, new to justmommies. Here is the problem I'm having that's driving me bonkers. I'm about 20 DPO right now, no sign at all of AF, a few pregnancy symptoms but have tested negative repeated in the last week. My LMP was March 22, but I ovulated a week later than I should have, O was April 11 or 12. I then had light spotting once on April 22, I assumed it was implantation bleeding. So based on the date of ovulation, I'm pretty late. Everything I've been reading says I should be testing positive by now if I am pregnant. If nothing happens by monday, either BFP or AF, then I'm going call about getting a blood test done. But right now, this is really bugging me, I keep wondering if this is normal or common or if maybe something is wrong and I should be worried. My husband thinks I'm pregnant because of the "substantial difference" in my breasts (his words) and that I should just be patient and quit obsessing.

May 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Shauna! aboard!

As you've probably read comments all around the board, we are all hoping you really are PG! Based on the information you've given, I'd have to agree that you had implantation bleeding. You didn't say what type of HPT you used. When did you last test? What other signs are you having? You could just have started with a low HCG, but you'd think by now you'd have quite a bit higher levels. I would test again, unless you did it this morning. If you O'd on the 11th the AF was probably due on the 25th then you are about a week late. Sorry I wasn't much help. Good Luck and KUP!!

Jessica

May 2nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
~Kate T~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~Kate T~
Either you did not actually ovulate (I keep hearing that you can gear up and get symptoms of ovulation and not actually release the egg) or you are pregnant! You should have had a BFP by now but a very small % of pregnant women do not get a BFP on hpts. I can't wait to hear what the results of your blood test are!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh yeah and

IT'S A BOY! OLIVER DEAN WAS BORN ON JUNE 12TH (38w5d) 7lbs 9oz & 20.5"
May 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Veteran

Hi Jessica, thanks for the encouraging words. Other signs are fatigue, very swollen tender breasts, heartburn, lower back ache and dull cramping (not at all like what I have right before AF). Also I get very weepy and moody for a few days before AF and right now I'm completey calm and relaxed. So I definately don't feel like I'm about to start. Oh, I also typically have a 16 day luteal phase so I was expecting AF on the 27th, this past sunday. I have used several tests from Dollar Tree, a few friends recommended them because they are supposed to be the most sensitive. I also tried AccuClear and Answer. The Answer test I used earlier today.

May 3rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board!!! If I were you I would probably go get a blood test just to be on the safe side and talk with your doctor to make sure everything is normal. Good luck and keep us updated!

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

May 3rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
krysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would get a blood test soon. I remember a girl last summer on here who was about 5 weeks late for AF before she got a BFP on a HPT. Good luck. I hope you are pg

Thank you *kiliki* for my siggie!!
May 3rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
kimber21's Avatar Veteran
Hello and welcome to the board!! Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in that boat im 13 days late for af and have only taken 2 hpts and both neg i have the same symptons fatigue tender breasts bloating and cramping im waiting til i am 19days late to retest before i go for a blood test i hope we both find out soon! we could be expecting at the same time!
May 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
I think you should go to the doctors and get a blood test. Good luck! Keep us updated!
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

May 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Veteran
Well I tested again this morning with the 2nd Answer test from the pack I bought the other day. Still BFN. If we lived in the days before hpt's I'd say I'm sure I'm pregnant. My husband is sure. Everything just fits. I think we've decided to just give it more time before doing a blood test, it is still early. I'm terrible about doing internet research to try and self diagnose problems, so of course I've been researching and I found something saying that one possible reason for not having a BFP when you're late and having symptoms is that you are actually pregnant but the hcg levels arent rising because the pregnancy isn't viable. So now I'm scared I'm going to miscarry.

May 4th, 2008, 08:26 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think I would keep waiting if I was you, you should have enough HCG in your blood stream by now for a blood test to pick it up, but I would go just to make sure it isn't a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy and that everything is ok. But let us know what you decide! Good luck and keep us updated!

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

May 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Veteran
I kind of HAVE to keep waiting for now. We don't have insurance and I was planning to use a midwife anyway, so I don't even have an OB. It's only around $40 to get a blood test at my GP, but my husband just started a new job and he won't get paid for a couple more weeks so we're really strapped right now. Of course this was the cycle when we were supposed to NOT be trying, we had decided to take a break and wait until he was settled into the new job and everything, but now look where we are! I don't think it's ectopic. And I've misscarried once before so I will know what to look for if that happens. Now it's just wait and see, which I am NOT GOOD AT! I'm just so frustrated, I really do feel pregnant.

May 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
**Catherine**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our County Health Department does free testing. You might want to check if they do something like that where you live.

May 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM
aBookasmommy
I would definitely look into getting some blood work done, let us know what happens and GOOD LUCK!!
May 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Veteran
Well I broke down at Wal Mart today and bought an equate test. I thought it was going to turn positive, I could clearly see where the line should be but it was more like a shadow of a line than an actual line, and it never got darker. I'm now 24 dpo and still feel pregnant. Having off and on nausea at weird times now, boobs feel even more swollen and sore, I have no appetite at all and when I lay on my stomach it feels like I have a knot. I'm so frustrated still! Hubby and I decided to give it one more week, then I'm calling the midwife to see if she thinks I should come in for a checkup.

May 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was 21 dpo when AF showed for me and I am NEVER late! I normally have text book 28 day cycles.! I also experienced some mid cycle spotting/bleeding and had ALL the early pregnancy symptoms from increase in smell, nausea, heart burn, frequent urination, head aches, sore breasts and NO AF! I took multiple HPT's and got faint positives on most of them (which didn't show up until AFTER the time limit but were nicely colored) and there for I couldn't count them as BFPS! So I had a blood test done and it was BFN. AF showed up three days after that. It was a strange AF- NO CLOTS WHAT SO EVER! All red blood, never got overly heavy. BUT... I am now starting a new cycle and am hoping that this last cycle was just a fluke and that from now on I am going to be regular again.

I wish you the best of luck. I personally would try to have a blood test done when you can because although it costs money it is worth it to stop wondering. Once you know FOR SURE and you are calm it seems as though AF just shows up.

May 6th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Super Mommy
Hi! I know exaclty what you are going through. My last AF was on March 12th and I am pretty sure I O'd on March 29th. Yes, it's now May 6th so I'm like 37 DPO! Still all BFNs! I feel normal other than big bbs. Not sure what to think! Good luck and KUP!

May 6th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Sharon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you don't mind my intruding on this post. I'm not new to the site, but I normally just lurk, checking in every once in a while, but rarely posting. I did want to add my "two cents" though. I am 31 DPO and all my Dollar Store tests have come up BFN. Maybe there are more women out there who experience false BFN's than the world thinks?

The only thing that makes me think I may be pregnant is...well, aside from the fact that after six years we gave up, a sick stomach about an hour after I get up and really sensitive boobs....that's it.

I'd be interested to know what happens when you take the blood test.

Sharon
May 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I hope you don't mind my intruding on this post. I'm not new to the site, but I normally just lurk, checking in every once in a while, but rarely posting. I did want to add my "two cents" though. I am 31 DPO and all my Dollar Store tests have come up BFN. Maybe there are more women out there who experience false BFN's than the world thinks?

The only thing that makes me think I may be pregnant is...well, aside from the fact that after six years we gave up, a sick stomach about an hour after I get up and really sensitive boobs....that's it.

I'd be interested to know what happens when you take the blood test.

Sharon[/b]
Sharon, I'm starting to also thing that more women get BFP's later that most. I've done a ton of online reading (I tend to obsess about things, the internet is bad for that!) and I keep seeing where people don't get a BFP until 6 or 9 or 12 weeks pg. I would only be 5 weeks at this point, so I guess it could be worse! BTW- I took a dollar tree test this afternoon with the same result as the Equate. Just a shadow of a line. I even took it apart to get a better look. I'm going to try again with FMU tomorrow and see if that helps. I'm turning into a real POASaholic!

May 7th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Super Mommy
AF showed today!

Wishing you better luck Shauna and Sharon! KUP!

May 7th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh, I'm sorry AF showed today Fatima. That witch just doesn't know when to back off.

Shauna and Sharon, have you ever heard of the hook effect? I'm one of the people that has to deal with it and it's my understanding that it isn't that uncommon. It causes false negatives on urine tests and sometimes qualitive blood tests until the second trimester and sometimes through the whole pregnancy. It requires a quantititive blood test to confirm pregnancy. I didn't get a positive through a quantititive until I was 12 weeks pregnant with DD and urine tests were still showing negative. With DS they wouldn't do a quantititive and I didn't get a positive urine test until four and a half months.

Once you hit 18 DPO it's usually safe to assume that you are pregnant, especially if you're having symptoms. If you can get in for quantititive blood work then I would recommend doing it as soon as you can. Until then make sure you're taking a good prenatal vitamin. You can get them without a prescription at places like GNC. It sounds like you're both pregnant and getting false negatives so act as if you are in terms of habits and diet just to be on the safe side until you can get blood work done.

I hope this helps!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search