Am I Pregnant FAQ and TTC Abbreviations

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Any time a woman thinks she may be pregnant it can be a stressful and confusing time. That's why having this board is so great! I've put together an FAQ covering some of the most common situations, problems and questions that come up here - I hope some of you will find this useful and if there's anything I've missed let me know!

TTC Abbreviations: You will find a list of TTC abbreviations at the bottom of this post so scroll down if you need help telling your FRER from your FMU!

-----------------------

1. Am I Pregnant?

If you had unprotected sex while you were fertile then you may be pregnant. Unfortunately no one here can tell you for sure! But what we can do is to share our own experiences with you to help you survive the female torture that is the two week wait and taking an HPT.

2. What are some early pregnancy signs?

Every woman is different, and so is every pregnancy. Even if youíve been pregnant before you may experience very different signs between pregnancies. Some women have no symptoms at all and are surprised to get their BFP while others have every sign in the book and AF arrives right on schedule.

There are some signs that crop up time and time again though and some of the most common include:

- Missed period
- Cramps (like AF cramps)
- Nausea/sickness (usually in the morning but can be any time of day)
- Frequent urination
- Sore or tender breasts
- Cravings or food aversions
- Skin break-out
- Spotting around the time AF would arrive

3. When can I test?

If you know for certain when you ovulated you will get a more accurate testing date than if you are not sure. A test is most accurate when taken from the day your period is due but some women can get a BFP as early as 8 DPO (rare) or much later than their period is due. A good rule of thumb is to wait 2-3 weeks since you had unprotected sex before testing to get the most accurate result.

4. What kind of pregnancy test should I use?

Pink dye, blue dye, cheapies, digisÖ There are so many kinds to choose from. Itís down to personal choice. There are pros and cons to each type. Here are some things to keep in mind:

- Internet Cheapies and dollar store tests can be prone to evaps, some of which look like faint positives as they have colour.

- Blue dye tests are also notorious for evaps.

- Pink dye tests are supposed to be less prone to evaps.

- First Response and Answer are basically the same test, made by the same company

- Digis can (although not always) be less sensitive than the regular kind of test.

5. What are evaporation lines?

Evaporation (evap) lines show up where the positive line on a test would be if you are pregnant. They usually show up after the cut-off time of the test has elapsed (usually ten minutes) but they can be sneaky and show up sooner. They are most usually grey or white in colour. This is why you should never read a test after the time limit the instructions specify.

6. I got a faint line Ė is this positive?

Usually a line, no matter how faint, is a positive result as long as it has colour Ė congratulations! If the line is grey or white, or appeared after the time limit there is a chance itís an evap line so take another test in a few days to see if the line gets darker.

7. Can false positives happen?

ErmÖ the manufacturers would say no, and that a false positive can only occur with extremely rare kinds of tumours or if you were given HCG during fertility treatment. However, a number of women (myself included) have experienced true false positives Ė a line that comes up right away, with colour, despite not being pregnant or having any HCG in your system.

These are VERY rare and usually occur with cheapies or blue dye tests but please do keep this in mind. Getting more than one positive, positives on different brands or positives that get slowly darker are a good sign that your positive is a true positive!

8. Can false negatives happen?

These are far more common and can happen for a number of reasons such as testing too early, your urine being too diluted or over or under saturating the test. If you get a BFN but your period doesnít show within a few days itís a good idea to take another test.

9. My period is very late but I keep getting BFNs Ė what gives?

Many ladies come here looking for answers when their AF is MIA but canít get a BFP either. The most common reason is that they Oed late or didnít O at all. Even if you usually have regular cycles you can have a one-off delayed ovulation or an anovulatory cycle (where you donít O at all). Itís more common than you might think.

Sometimes you may think you have ovulated because you've had all your usual signs - EWCM, O pain etc, but it's possible for your body to gear up to O and then not go through with it. This delay can be caused by stress, illness or just for no reason at all! You may then actually O a few days or even a few weeks later. The only way to know for sure you have ovulated is to see a sustained rise in temperature if you are temping.

If your period is very late and you are concerned then itís a good idea to visit your doctor for a blood test just to rule out pregnancy and make sure nothing else is wrong.

10. Is it possible to be pregnant and never show up on an HPT?

Itís possible, but very VERY rare. There is a thing called the Hook Effect, in which a lady has so much HCG in her system that her HPT canít detect it because it goes *over* what the HPT is looking for. This is more common with multiple pregnancy than with singletons but is highly unlikely either way.

11. Can I use an OPK to test for pregnancy?

An OPK can turn positive in the presence of HCG because HCG and LH are very similar. However, as OPKs are usually less sensitive donít expect an OPK to turn positive before an HPT does. As always, for an OPK to be positive the test line must be at least as dark as, or darker than, the control line.

WARNING: If you take an HPT and an OPK at the same time (letís face itÖ many of us have done this!) be careful not to let them touch. They can interact with each other and cause a false positive result on an HPT. Make sure you keep them apart!

12. I got a positive result but my period has come. What happened?

Sadly early miscarriages are quite common (they are called Chemical Pregnancies) so a faint positive followed by a normal AF may be caused by an extremely early loss The same thing can cause increasingly faint positives in the days before AF arrives.

13. I thought my period had arrived but itís lighter than usual and brown or pink. Whatís this?

Some pregnant women get a little spotting around the time their period is due. This is usually brown or pink and lasts only a few hours or a day or so but can occasionally be heavier, darker or last longer. This is called implantation bleeding (or IB for short) and is caused by your baby burrowing into the lining of your womb.

14. My period arrived but it was longer/shorter/lighter/heavier than usual Ė could I still be pregnant?

If you have a period with proper bleeding then unfortunately itís unlikely you are pregnant. If you are still in any doubt it canít hurt to do a test to make sure.

15. I took anther test and it wasnít as dark as the first/didn't get darker. Is this bad?

Early on in pregnancy your hormone levels can be so low that they can be greatly altered by drinking too much before you test or by not holding your pee for long enough. Plus, the sensitivity of tests Ė even tests within the same box Ė can vary greatly as can the amount of dye from test to test. For your own peace of mind itís best to wait a few days before testing againÖ although we all know thatís impossible!

16. I took my digital test apart and there were two lines Ė does this mean Iím pregnant?

Not unless the display told you that you were pregnant. Digital tests will always have two lines whether you are pregnant or not, so thatís why you should never take a digi apart.

17. How long after implantation bleeding can I get a BFP?

It usually takes 2-3 days at least for the HCG to build up in your body enough to get a positive result after you experience IB.

18. I tested at 6 DPO even though I knew it was too early. Am I a bad person?

NO! Youíre human! Lots of us have done that!

19. I recently came off hormonal BC and my period is late. Am I pregnant?

Itís possible Ė your fertility can return quickly after stopping any kind of BC. However, some women find it can take several months or even a year or more for their cycles to regulate so itís possible you havenít Oed yet. If you think you may be pregnant he best thing to do is to take a test every week or so until your periods return or you get a BFP.

20. How can I survive the two week wait?

Join us on Am I Pregnant and we'll help you survive the best we can!

TTC lingo

~2 ww...2 week wait
~AF...Aunt Flo (ie: period)
~AFNW...Aunt Flo Not Wanted
~AFSA ...Aunt Flo Stay Away
~BBT...Basal Body Temperature
~BD...Baby Dancing
~BCP...Birth Control Pills
~BFP...Big Fat Positive
~BFN...Big Fat Negative
~BMS ... Baby-making Sex
~BTDT...Been There Done That
~C...Cycle
~CB ... Cycle Buddy
~CBE ... Clear Blue Easy
~CD ... Cycle Day
~CF ... Cervical Fluid
~CM ... Cervical Mucus
~CNM ... Certified Nurse Midwife
~DH Dear Husband
~DI ... Donor Insemination
~DPO ... Days Post-ovulation
~Dx ... Diagnosis
~Endo ... Endometriosis
~EPT ... Early Pregnancy Test
~ET ... Embryo Transfer
~EWCM ... Egg White Cervical Mucus
~FF ... Fertility Friend
~FMU ... First Morning Urine
~FRER... First Response Early Result
~FTTA ... Fertile Thoughts To All
~GL Good Luck
~GP ... General Practitioner
~GWV...Get Well Vibes
~H&H Healthy & Happy
~HCg ... Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
~HPT ... Home Pregnancy Test
~HRT ... Hormone Replacement Therapy
~HTH Hope That Helps
~HX...History
~IF ... Infertility
~IPS Imaginary Pregnancy Symptoms
~IVF ... In Vitro Fertilization
~LMP ... Last Menstrual Period (start date)
~LO ... Love Olympics (Love Making)
~LOL ... Laugh Out Loud or Lots Of Love
~LP ... Luteal Phase
~LPD ... Luteal Phase Defect
~m/c.... Miscarriage
~M/S...Morning Sickness
~MW...midwife
~NP ... Nurse Practitioner
~O...Ovulation. Variants: Oed, Oing
~OB... Obstetrician/Gynecologist
~OMG...Oh My God
~OPK ... Ovulation Predictor Kit
~P&PT...Prayer & Positive Thoughts
~PG ... Pregnant
~PI ... Primary Infertility
~PMS ... Pre-menstrual Syndrome
~POF ... Premature Ovarian Failure
~POAS...Pee On a Stick
~PROM ... Premature Rupture of Membranes
~PUTB ... Pillow Under The Butt
~PV...Positive Vibes, pregnancy vibes,
~ROFLMAO ... Rolling On Floor Laughing My *ss Off
~RPL ... Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
~RPS...Real Pregnancy Symptoms
~RSA ... Recurrent Spontaneous Abortion
~Rx ... Prescription
~SA ... Semen Analysis
~SI ... Secondary Infertility
~SO ... Significant Other
~STD ... Sexually Transmitted Disease
~SV... Sticky Vibes
~SX...symptoms
~TTC...Trying To Conceive
~TPQ... Time Pass Quickly
~u/s ... Ultrasound
~UTI ... Urinary Tract Infection
~WBC ... White Blood Cells
~WTG...Way To Go

Cm picture links

Nfp Software - Cervical Mucus
http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.h...vicalmucusslug
Mary N Oscar likes this.

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

Last edited by Misty_X; October 8th, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
January 24th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Thank you so much!! This was MOST helpful!! I was beginning to feel like I was losing my mind. I am 13 days late several tests later and counting. I pray that I am one of those people with a rare condition, that is preventing me from knowing what is going on. I reckon I will wait a week and do another test...
February 2nd, 2012, 05:23 AM
I really need your help, i'm 30 yrs. My husband & I have been trying for a baby for about 13 months now. My periods are very regular and last for about 5 days, i have never missed a period. On 20-25th Dec 2011 i had my periods, However on 12th Jan i had what seemed to be a period, it was light and brownish and lasted 2 days ( on & off). Before this i had sharp pains on my lower left abdomen for about 2 days prior to the "period" with some bit of cramps. The next weeks that followed i had a stuffy nose esp morning hours and a feeling of tiredness, like i would get sick, including headache. My tummy is really bloated and has increased in size. I did a home pregnancy test on 30th Jan but it was negative. I have never been pregnant before so i'm really green in these things. What is happening to me, someone pliz help
March 7th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Can you add "FX" to the list? I've seen that a few places and I'm new here, so..

Edit: I think it's "fingers crossed".

Last edited by greatestteacher; March 7th, 2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: figured it out?
March 13th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I had unprotected sex 2 days after i was fertile and still havent recieved my period. could that mean im pregnant?
June 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
It may mean that. I would go get a pregnancy test and get blood work done just to be safe.
July 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Hi Everyone
I am not able to come to one conclusion, where I am pregnant or not ?
I got married on Oct 2008 on December 2008 I got conceived but in Jan I got miscarriage. Later I got a chemical pregnancy and after that I meet with an accident and we did not tried for kind after that. But on Aug 2010 we thought of planning for kinds but I had some medical issues. And my doctor suggested going for laparoscopy.
I had my laparoscopy on March 5th 2012 and after that I did not get my periods but on May 14th 2012 I got my periods which was for 7days. After that I got my next period on 14th June 2012. On July 14th 2012 I did not get my periods I have waited for two days and thought of doing home pregnancy test but the test came negative. On 18th July 2012 I have sight bleeding, it was not as my regular period, I was worried up and we have visited to a gynecologist near by to my house (As my gynecologist was out of station) and she has scanned and said that I am not pregnant and said me to go for a blood test for my LHS and FSH, but we did not visited again. The bleeding was till half day of 19th July (next day). There it has stopped But I have lower back pain, my breast are so soft which I never had. I feel my body is heated up very much and I am too much hungry these days too.
On July 20th 2012 I had a white thick color thing coming from my private part. I am not understanding what happen to me.
1. I am I pregnant or not ?
2. If I am pregnant when is the ideal time to do the home pregnancy test ?
3. If I am pregnant when is the ideal time to visit my Gynecologist ?
Please replay me ….:-(
Hi Everyone
I am not able to come to one conclusion, where I am pregnant or not ?
I got married on Oct 2008 on December 2008 I got conceived but in Jan I got miscarriage. Later I got a chemical pregnancy and after that I meet with an accident and we did not tried for kind after that. But on Aug 2010 we thought of planning for kinds but I had some medical issues. And my doctor suggested going for laparoscopy.
I had my laparoscopy on March 5th 2012 and after that I did not get my periods but on May 14th 2012 I got my periods which was for 7days. After that I got my next period on 14th June 2012. On July 14th 2012 I did not get my periods I have waited for two days and thought of doing home pregnancy test but the test came negative. On 18th July 2012 I have sight bleeding, it was not as my regular period, I was worried up and we have visited to a gynecologist near by to my house (As my gynecologist was out of station) and she has scanned and said that I am not pregnant and said me to go for a blood test for my LHS and FSH, but we did not visited again. The bleeding was till half day of 19th July (next day). There it has stopped But I have lower back pain, my breast are so soft which I never had. I feel my body is heated up very much and I am too much hungry these days too.
On July 20th 2012 I had a white thick color thing coming from my private part. I am not understanding what happen to me.
1. I am I pregnant or not ?
2. If I am pregnant when is the ideal time to do the home pregnancy test ?
3. If I am pregnant when is the ideal time to visit my Gynecologist ?
Please replay me ….:-(
August 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran
what is DTD???
tmac likes this.
August 30th, 2012, 08:51 AM
LucasMom11's Avatar Veteran
What is TWW?? Thanks....
September 7th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I know that there are many people that want to know what is the most sensitive pregnancy test ?There are many websites on internet where you can compare pregnancy tests.Here is the list of some test that we can say that they are most sensitive
Once you have decided to get pregnant, try to take natural hormonal balancing diet. This will play a crucial role in your pregnancy status and you can see the results within few weeks after starting.
Don’t get frustrated after failing in first few attempts to get pregnant. First of all know that getting pregnant and giving birth to a baby is a bit complex and sometimes problems may occur. But, once you understand these tips, it can be very simple, easy and natural for you.
October 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Last month I 'had my -period on the 23 normally its on the 20 I was off of my period on the 27 since then me and my husband been having unprotected sex then on the 10 while sex my husband notice I was bleeding but it only last less than 3 minutes.. could that been implantation bleeding or something wrong? Could I be pregnant? I never bleed during sex &wasn't even rough sex that night ..... we been wanting a baby to
October 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Last week, I had unprotected sex. 1 week later, I felt all the symptoms of being pregnant. is it possible that i am pregnant?
October 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM
1 week after my period, I had an unprotected sex. then 1 week after I had an unprotected sex I felt all the symptoms of being pregnant. Am I pregnant?
October 23rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
WaitinginNJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This was awesome and a great help! All to often I am readying these blogs/stories and I am like wth is POAS???? lol thank you so much!
October 28th, 2012, 06:48 AM
so helpful, thanks!
December 1st, 2012, 11:08 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the abbreviations. Now i know one when I see one haha. Thanks for the help!
December 12th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran
Thank you so much for the abbreviations i didnt some of what you all where talking about lol:d
December 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Veteran
This was a big help! Thanks for putting this together.
January 12th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I missed at least 5 pills last month and about the same this month (i'm on my second row of pills), I had a bleed between the packets as normal, however i have been having symptoms such as cramps, headaches, needing the toilet a lot, fatigue, leg pain and nausea.
I have been getting backache but i have back problems so put it down to that.
I have taken a test last week and I took a test today and both was negative (used clear blue) also i have been having a little bleeding this week that is somewhat heavy and dark brown in colour.
Also I have been taking pills still but not 7 in a row, and I think I may be allergic to my pill (cilest).

I have had unprotected sex most days the last couple months.
My last period was at the end of last month (over Christmas) and I am on again now but not heavy...

Could i be pregnant (I am not worried about pregnancy hence why I haven't kept on top of pills) ??
January 13th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Could I be pregnant?

I have taken about 4 tests and have all been negative could it be to soon?

I have very sore breasts mostly on sides by armpits and underneath and they hurt to touch. I also had a weird discharge I have not seen ever but only happened once and I do get naseous at weird times but test are all negative could I still be or could it just be my mind playing games with me because I want to be so bad and have been of bc for 4 months.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search