Shedding hair...anyone? UPDATE

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Does anyone know if shedding a lot of hair is a pregnancy symptom?? Any info would be great!

---------------------------------------------------------------

So I decided to call my dr this afternoon and spoke with one of the nurses. She told me it is very common in early pregnancy to shed hair. She also told me that after a week of starting your prenatals it will start growing thicker than normal ( I just started prenatals last week).

Good news is..............if you're shedding hair in your TWW it can be a good sign!!!

Last edited by blondphotogirl; October 28th, 2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: UPDATE!
October 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
No Longer Here
I would get my thyroid checked.
October 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM
destiny9899's Avatar Veteran

I have hypothyroidism, and when my levels are off my hair will start shedding. I've never known (or heard) it to be a symptom of pregnancy though.
October 27th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Ohhh good to know about the Thyroid. Luckily I get mine checked frequently because it runs in my genetics...luckily I just had a blood test a little over two weeks ago and I'm good! I've heard in articles that it can be a symptom because of hormone changes (you body is putting all your nutrion into the baby) I just want to actually see if anyone else has experienced it. I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant right now if that helps.
October 27th, 2009, 11:51 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
It is a pregnancy symptom for me. I start shedding really bad and then a few weeks later it grows really fast. I do not have a thyroid problem.

October 28th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have actually heard this can be a not-so-common symptom. Pregnancy can affect your hair in different ways - you can shed more or it can grow faster. If your thyroid has already been checked out and that's fine then you might want to double check with your doc for other causes x

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

October 28th, 2009, 01:56 PM
mater bibit
Increase of hair loss was what got me suspicious about being pregnant with my 3rd. I was nursing at the time and my second symptom was an overwhelming need to nap twice a day so I think it was definitely a nutrition issue. Interestingly, I would have been about 8 days post ovulation when I noticed the hair so it would seem it started right after implantation.
October 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my hair is falling out all over the place but I have hypothyroidism and I am taking progestin only pills and they effect the level of my levothyroxine that I take so that could be my issue with hair loss. I am not sure as far as the pregnancy symptom, pregnancy can do all kinds of things to you.

October 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have never had this as a pregnancy symptom but I have had it happen right after I had one of my babies. I actually have seen a lot of girls complain about this during their postpartum period. I think it may have to do with a shift in your hormones. So I think that it could be a pregnancy symptom. It's just not one I have had myself.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
October 29th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the update! When are you testing?

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search