Pregnancy symptoms 1 month after stopping Depo?

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
So after reading a ton of information I have no clue if I'm pregnant or if they are side effects from stopping depo? I was on it for a year and was suppose to get my shot on the 6th of Nov. My fiance and I decided to not do it and see what happens because it could take a while.. While I was on it I'd spot occasionally (maybe 1x a month/every two for a couple days and that was it) I've never had a regular period before that either really. Well earlier this week I've been feeling nauseated and on Tuesday I bought a pregnancy test on my lunch break after throwing up at work. It was negative. Today while I was at work I threw up again 2x and it has been hitting me stronger each time. I've been exhausted lately no matter how much sleep I get and my breasts have been feeling somewhat tender and appear slightly larger to me (could very well be wishful thinking, however!). I took another test this afternoon and it was negative as well. I'm going to take another in the morning because I know the levels of hcg could be higher then. I don't know what to do! Please help!!
December 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM
rubyredslipperz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well.. I've never been on Depo before, but I have been on other hormonal bc. And I know that after you get off it takes a while for your body to get back into the swing of things.. and sometimes they can give you pregnancy like symptoms. I also had a sis in-law who got pregnant on Depo, it ran out before she had to get it re-done so it's possible. I would keep testing and if it keeps up check with your doc. They might be able to tell you what's going on if it's not a pg and give you something to start your AF.

December 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Veteran
When your coming off birth controls, you can experience pregnancy symptoms, alot of people have mistaken thinking they were pregnant right after coming off BC... It has alot to do with changes of hormones in your body and it's probably more likely stronger cause you were on a shot. But there were some people that have got pregnant right after getting off the pill, so it's possible you could be pregnant.. I would def test again!
December 4th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I've been on several different forms of bc and have felt nothing like this before.. tried diff pills, the ring, the reason I went with the shot was because I was getting migraines from the other hormones. I've read that its likely to see these symptoms when you *start* taking the depo shot but what about when you stop? Everything else just says you might be pregnant take a test! But I haven't had a real period in over a year so I don't know if I could be experiencing all of these symptoms like this and still get a neg test result.. My best friend did though, she didn't get a pos result until almost 3 months in!
December 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
It is hard to say for sure what is going on. Depo is one of the bc methods that takes longest to recover from. It can take a year or longer for depo to get completely out of your system. I do think it is very possible that the symptoms you are having are due to your body trying to regulate itself again. What happens is your body kicks into overdrive trying to get your hormones back on track and get you ovulating and in the process it causes you to have what feels like pregnancy symptoms.

That being said, I have known girls that have gotten pregnant while taking depo and I think it is very possible you could have gotten pregnant since you discontinued it. But, it would be impossible to know when you ovulated so you may have to just keep testing to see what happens.

I hope you get some news soon and welcome to Am I Pregnant!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Which all makes sense and have gone through my head. I almost forgot too, I normally have a steel bladder and can go quite a while before I have the urge to pee.. Lately its been like every 2 hours or less and I need to GO! My bladder just reminded me of that..

Thank you for the welcome!
December 29th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I'm in the same boat as many of you. I was on the pill for 9 months and decided to try the depo shot as it seemed easier, I started my first shot the end of August and was due for my next shot the end of November but my boyfriend and I decided not to get the second shot and see what happens. I gained some weight when I began the depo shot an had my period for two weeks then had spotting here and there whenever it decided to show but only when I wiped. For the past week and a half I've been exhausted, had headaches that seem to never go away. I urinate at least ten times a day, feel nauseas, have itchy breasts and nipples that seem to have gotten slightly bigger. I'm bloated and sleepy all day and have bad mood swings. Reading reviews online is so confusing because everyone is different and it's hard to find someone who only took one shot to compare some of my symptoms too. My mom is fertile myrtle btw my three siblings and I are all bc babies so I'm hoping I took after her some. Could anyone who has taken only one shot or knows someone who has shed some light cause I feel like I'm going crazy
December 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Lurking. My SIL got pregnant directly after getting off of depo and another friend of mine got pregnant on depo. It could be the funky hormones or it could be that you're pregnant. Keep testing or go to the doctor. I have to admit I'm pretty curious about this one. I say you're pregnant, that's just my guess.

December 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks MosaicWife my mom had me take a pregnancy test today but I'm going to wait a few days before testing again and test with first morning urine since today I tested this morning after I had peed 3 times. I had only been awake 2 1/2 hours and peed three times so imagine my curiousity as to why I have these symptoms but I'll let you know how it turns out
December 29th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I'm in the same boat. I had a depo shot in June. Was supposed to get 2nd in September and didn't. I had regular periods the entire time and I have missed it this month. I have always gotten my periods on the 23rd but not this month. Took a test yesterday evening and got a Negative. Maybe I should use first morning urine??
December 29th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I've heard that's the best because it has more HcG in it otherwise try to hold it for four hours. With my depo shot a had a period for two weeks then it came no more just spotting on and off for the remainder of the time very light pink or brown when I wiped and then all of sudden pregnancy symptoms hit me. It seems like I've read everything possible about this and the conclusion I have come to is uncertain because some women it takes 6+ months to get pregnant and others can get pregnant while on it or weeks after so it's very confusing. All I'm doing is waiting and testing again hoping for my BFP. Good luck to you
December 30th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Coming off of hormonal birthcontrols can do weird and wacky things to a body. So Suspect that it might take a while for your body to re adjust to things. The first few months after hormonal birth control I think are the worst. So I'm not sure what kinds of things would be pregnancy symptoms or just related to coming off depo. Also bear in mind that the miscarriage rate is higher in the first months after coming off hormonal birth control, not to scare you of course, because if you're pregnant I hope all goes well, but for the future so you know that there are risks. I hope that you find out soon whats going on!!
December 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks I do too! I talked my nurse and she said there were no symptoms of coming off the Depo but whatever symptoms I had while on Depo can continue for months after but I never had any symptoms while on Depo except increase in appetite and weight gain. So I'll figure out sooner or later if I'm pregnant or not
January 4th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Well ladies I took a HpT last Wednesday which was a BFN and today a week later I decided to check my cervix and it is high and soft cant tell if it's open or not but I did notice that my discharge was a light reddish brown so I took a HpT yet again another BFN I guess AF might be making an appearance after all or I might just be spotting which is still good news since I haven't had one since October. I was hoping for a BFP but I guess it's not my month. I still don't know how to explain my symptoms as to what is going on especially since a new one had started occurring as of Monday which is acid reflux. Oh well next month could be mine. Thanks for all the advice
January 9th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Send a message via MSN to mummy_to_3
hi everyone.ive literally just signed up to this website after finding this post through google.i myself have been off depo 8 weeks now. i only took 2 shots after i lost a baby beginning of 2011.so had my first shot in may then second august, i was due my 3rd on 14th nov but decided against it as i had done nothing but bleed since may and it was of course ruining my sex life with the other half.so i decided it was best to have a break from anything in my system. its been a journey and half over the last 8 weeks. ive put at least a stone and few pounds on while i was on the shot, but it doesnt seem to be stopping,im not bleeding at all anymore and have spotted once since stopping for bout 1 day and nothing else since. constant period pains,itchy boobs,boobs sore,bloated,constantly peeing,feeling sick,moods swings are hurrendous,constant period pain aches as if im going to start a period,feelings of being pregnant..just that feeling you get when you know u are.i already have 3 children so know how it feels to be pregnant. ive been on the depo before for 2 years when my youngest was born and started my periods again after couple of months but fell pregnant and miscarried after 4 months of stopping the depo that time. me and my partner want baby number 4 to complete our family.ive heard of some going on the pill to help encourage things get back to normal down there?
January 9th, 2012, 06:54 AM
strvnwritr's Avatar TTC #3 Since 2010
Hi mummy_to_3 and welcome! I don't have any experience with depo but I will say that any kind of hormonal birth control can really throw your cycle out of whack. For that reason, I can't imagine that going on the pill would be beneficial to you right now. I'm thinking that you would probably be better off giving your body a chance to readjust on it's own now that you're off the depo. That's just an uneducated personal opinion, though. Your doctor may tell you something different.

In the meantime, have you taken a pregnancy test? It certainly couldn't hurt and it would put your mind at ease one way or the other.

~ Thank you Alethia for my beautiful siggy!~
Married to Michael since 6/17/05, DS James 3/14/06 and DD Maya 6/2/08
8/31/07 ~ 7/19/11 ~ 9/20/11 ~ 1/24/13
January 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM
H1C2's Avatar Life of Love
totally lurking on a boring jan day.

i was on depo for 7 yrs before we decided to "try" for a baby. the first cpl months were badd for me, my tata's were incredibly painful, swollen, even air going over them killed me! engorgment never was that bad! my periods after were really screwed up, i got 2.5 of them, and the first one was odd, and the last 1/2 was really odd before i found i out i was preggars.

i know some ppl that have had symptoms like yours after coming off of depo as well, and actually trying to have a baby doesnt help the entire situation either, imo.

gl! and it seems very possible that this is your "coming off of depo effects" are.
January 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Send a message via MSN to mummy_to_3
im going to leave my body well alone and hope it just goes back to normal by itself. ive taken numerous pregnancy and ovulation tests and all were negative.:-(
June 30th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Hello Everyone! I am Brand new to Just mommies I definitely need some advice...Ive been on the depo provera shot for 4 years. I was suppose to go may 21st 2012 to get my shot but decided i wanted to get off of it because of all the horrible things i was hearing. for the past 4 days ive been feeling odd. my breasts seem alittle bigger than usual, i have really bad cramps,i have white thick discharge, and diarrhea atleast 2x everyday! sorry to get into detail. can i be pregnant only one month after stopping depo??? or is it most likely my body going back to normal? should i wait a week and take a test?

Thanks in advance!
June 30th, 2012, 10:10 PM
lisadlv's Avatar Veteran
I have what my family would refer to as super eggs. I got pregnant with all three of my kiddos while on Depo. I didn't miss a shot or let them go longer than suppose to. It happened near the begining to the secong month of the shot. The only reason that I knew I was pregnant with them was when my boobs started growing, I was like hey cool I got boobs, then decided to take tests and yup. Preggers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search