Hoping someone can ease my mind

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2010, 04:21 PM
skyj03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I stop taking my BCP 3 months ago due to some health issues and me and dh have been practicing safe sex by using condoms. Well about a week and half ago he brought home this stuff called vcf film I think it was, Some kind of spermacide. Anyway we used it that night but I have been nervous about it as we cannot afford another child right now. My cycles are usually about 30-31 days today would be day 31 and I am usually starting by now but all I have gotten since yesterday is brown spotting and thats it..no cramps or anything. So my Q is could I have gotten prego that close to the end of my cycle? and do most of you spot brown blood before af arrives. I normally spot pink the day before I start but since I just came off bcp I dont know what normal is for me? any insight would be greatly appricated

February 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi.. well if you ovulated later in your cycle than usual then it's possible. And I've heard stories of oooopsies using the VCF films. Did you leave it for 15 minutes so it can dissolve before you DTD? I think that's what the instructions say but that's just hearsay.
When I spot before AF, it's pink. I think there's only a small chance you can be pregnant. Can you test sometime soon? I hope you get the answer you want!!

Baby girl born Feb 2013

February 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you followed the directions, I would think that the chance is slim though it is still there.

IF it helps at all, I have spotted brown prior to AF's arrival. There are things that can easily delay your cycle as well such as dieting, exercise, sleep changes and stress to name a few.

I hope you get the answer you want in the end If you end up being late for AF then I'd say to grab a test and find out. Even if it ends up positive just remember that the world works in mysterious ways and everything will be okay!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
February 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I did leave it in for 15 min I think I will go buy a test tomm and see

February 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM
sinamin's Avatar Procurer Of HPT's
If you ovulated late you could certainly be pregnant. Were you aware that VCF is only about 70% effective when used alone and is usually used as a secondary contraceptive or a "backup?"
Read here, maybe this will help. Good luck with the testing
Healthy Sexuality - Birth Control Methods: Vaginal Contraceptive Film (VCF) - Peel Public Health - Region of Peel
February 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinamin View Post
If you ovulated late you could certainly be pregnant. Were you aware that VCF is only about 70% effective when used alone and is usually used as a secondary contraceptive or a "backup?"
Read here, maybe this will help. Good luck with the testing
Healthy Sexuality - Birth Control Methods: Vaginal Contraceptive Film (VCF) - Peel Public Health - Region of Peel

Oh no that has me really worried now. I will go asap after church and get a test. I will update you ladies tomm. Maybe if me and dh dtd it will get af started...sometimes that works

February 21st, 2010, 06:38 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there

With a combination of using the film and just coming off of BCP I think it's unlikely you are pregnant, but I would take a test to be sure. I only know a little about the film, but I do know it can take a while for your periods to get back on track after stopping BCP. Your cycles can be longer or shorter, heavier or lighter or change in other ways. I think the spotting could well be from your body adjusting.

Take a test and see what it says, then take another in a week or so if there's no sign of AF. Have you thought about using natural family planning to avoid pregnancy? JM has a NFP board you might be interested in:

Natural Family Planning and FAM - JustMommies Message Boards

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

February 21st, 2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty_X View Post
Hi there

With a combination of using the film and just coming off of BCP I think it's unlikely you are pregnant, but I would take a test to be sure. I only know a little about the film, but I do know it can take a while for your periods to get back on track after stopping BCP. Your cycles can be longer or shorter, heavier or lighter or change in other ways. I think the spotting could well be from your body adjusting.

Take a test and see what it says, then take another in a week or so if there's no sign of AF. Have you thought about using natural family planning to avoid pregnancy? JM has a NFP board you might be interested in:

Natural Family Planning and FAM - JustMommies Message Boards

Thank you everyone and misty Luckily I think my prayer was answerd and after church af started full force and I think I will check out the NFP board for some tips.

February 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have used the VCF and never had any problems with it. The company website provides different stats on its effectiveness.
VCF Vaginal Contraceptive Film - Is VCF right 4 me

Quote:
No birth control method is 100% effective. Clinical studies have shown that VCF is up to 94% effective (condom up to 96%, ‘the Pill’ up to 98%). Read this article at www.contraceptive.tv/vcf/ to learn how you may be able to increase the effectiveness using VCF in conjunction with other birth control products.
I do think that the VCF may be less effective than other bc but I have used it before and it worked for me.

Hopefully your AF will show soon so you can stop worrying.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search