Can't fully empty bladder?

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Regular
Now I know this is the wrong board but there is NO activity on Women's Health so I figured I'd post in a more active area. Thanks!

Now before anyone says this. I am scheduling an appointment to see what I can do.

So for the past 2 months i've been having trouble fully emptying my bladder. This all started out as me not going to the bathroom at all. I had no urge to pee and would go 2 maybe 3 times a day. I went for a period of 7 hours and still did not feel the intense urge. I did increase my water intake since then.

Now the problem is that I can't empty my bladder completely so I go to the bathroom more and it is very uncomfortable for me when my bladder isn't empty. I would go pee and it just seemed as if my stream got cut off. I would stand up and push in my bladder and I still felt as if pee were in there. Now this is embarrassing but I grab a wad of toilet paper and hold it under myself and concentrate and force pee out and a good amount does come out. I told the doctor all of this and he said to wait it out and try to drink more and decrease sodium.

It's now been 2 months since that appointment and nothing has changed. When I drink more water (usually over a gallon a day) it increases the flow but it still cuts off like it did. I am scheduling an appointment sometime this week to get this all figured out.

Now a little medical history. I had a UTI/Kidney stone/ kidney infection a year and a half ago.

What I would like to know is if anyone else has this problem and what tests to get done? I was thinking an ultrasound on my kidneys and my bladder. All opinions are welcome. Thanks for your help! Sorry for the long read!

*Note* Certain positions like laying on my belly and squatting and leaning forward and peeing onto paper towels and etc. help empty it a bit more but this is getting so embarrassing and ridiculous.

**There is no pain associated with peeing. No burning either. I did have a few twinges of pain in my bladder just sitting around the other day. But that is it for pain. I forgot to mention that above!

Read more: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f8...#ixzz0k7DfmFy8 (Can't fully empty bladder?)
April 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
LadyRogue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry that you are going through this. I've never heard of this before in my own experience. I wish I could give you some ideas as to what could be happening. VGL when you go back to the doctor!!!
April 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Cait&AngelAbove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do not have an experience with this but I hope you figure it out.

Thank you so much Bokkechick for the perfect siggie!!!
12-10-10 2-6-12
April 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a UTI that turned into a kidney infection. It started out i couldnt empty my bladder (no pain when peeing), i just felt like i wasnt emptying. I then got really bad aching in my lower back. It then became very painful and was taken to hospital by ambulance. They thought i had a kidney stone. The only thing that helped was morphine. They took some blood tests and gave me a ultrasound. There were no stones and i was diagnosed with an infection caused by e-coli. I would be careful not to drink too much water also. I think its a litre a day you should drink. If you drink too much you can get water poisoning, i think this is through drinking rediculous amounts of water. Hopefully your doctor will be able to give you some answers.

[/url]
April 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell1981 View Post
I had a UTI that turned into a kidney infection. It started out i couldnt empty my bladder (no pain when peeing), i just felt like i wasnt emptying. I then got really bad aching in my lower back. It then became very painful and was taken to hospital by ambulance. They thought i had a kidney stone. The only thing that helped was morphine. They took some blood tests and gave me a ultrasound. There were no stones and i was diagnosed with an infection caused by e-coli. I would be careful not to drink too much water also. I think its a litre a day you should drink. If you drink too much you can get water poisoning, i think this is through drinking rediculous amounts of water. Hopefully your doctor will be able to give you some answers.
I had the same thing about a year and a half ago. It really sucked. I puked my brains out to the point of dehydration

This time its very different. I went to the doctors about 2 months prior and he said things like this can happen blah blah and not to worry and just to drink more and decrease sodium. I've been trying that as best as I can and when I increase my water then I pee more but it still cuts off.

The weirdest thing is that at night I have to have a towel with my to try and get the excess out. It takes a lot of concentration and the right position to do this. It really sucks because I can pee and then lay down and it still has urine in there and its uncomfortable

I also got a pain in my entire stomach to pelvic area today while in the shower. I just wish I had an answer. It's kind of bad when I'm wishing for a kidney infection or something so I know whats wrong with me. I hope they find something!

I dunno which is better. U/S or CT scan? I just want to be sure of things. I'm not leaving without answers. I don't care if I have to be a super ***** about it. Thanks ladies for your help! I'll def. keep you guys posted. It's hard to find anything about this on the internet. I thought maybe incontinence but I don't match all of the symptoms.
April 4th, 2010, 09:19 PM
shanise.robertson's Avatar IAmOneWithSupremeReality
Send a message via MSN to shanise.robertson Send a message via Yahoo to shanise.robertson Send a message via Skype™ to shanise.robertson
incontinence is when you pee on yourself cant hold it in i will try and research this for you though k. hold on.

Urine retention. For some people, nerve damage means their bladder muscles do not get the message that it is time to release urine or are too weak to completely empty the bladder. If the bladder becomes too full, urine may back up and the increasing pressure may damage the kidneys. Or urine that stays too long may lead to an infection in the kidneys or bladder. Urine retention may also lead to overflow incontinence

Here is the site it may help Nerve Disease and Bladder Control

same site but more about urine retention yo might find this one more helpful Urinary Retention

Thank you ~Nicole~ for my beautiful siggy
(IF YOU WANT TO SEE GOD LAUGH TELL HIM YOUR PLANS)Make a pregnancy ticker

Last edited by shanise.robertson; April 4th, 2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: found it
April 4th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanise.robertson View Post
incontinence is when you pee on yourself cant hold it in i will try and research this for you though k. hold on.

Urine retention. For some people, nerve damage means their bladder muscles do not get the message that it is time to release urine or are too weak to completely empty the bladder. If the bladder becomes too full, urine may back up and the increasing pressure may damage the kidneys. Or urine that stays too long may lead to an infection in the kidneys or bladder. Urine retention may also lead to overflow incontinence

Here is the site it may help Nerve Disease and Bladder Control

same site but more about urine retention yo might find this one more helpful Urinary Retention
Thanks so much! I'm feeling queesy tonight so I'm up on the internet. I'll check it out now and mention it to my doctor! I'm hoping to get an appointment asap. Calling first thing in the morning!
April 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Regular
Doctors appt tomorrow! I'll keep everyone posted!
April 6th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! I would ask for a referral to a urologist to be honest. They would better know what tests to run based on your symptoms and your doctor is already giving you some pretty lousy advice. Sodium helps our bodies to absorb water so we do need it to remain properly hydrated and you're already drinking way more a day than you need to. Drinking too much can lead to water poisoning or cause other problems that lead to dehydration which would be made worse by the decreased sodium. Plus since it's positioned based it sounds a lot more like an infection or blockage which isn't going to be helped by drinking more water. You're more likely to stress the bladder, enlarge it, and develop infection from not being able to get out all of the urine from the extra fluids you're drinking. Definitely ask to be referred to a urologist.

April 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAnna View Post
Good luck! I would ask for a referral to a urologist to be honest. They would better know what tests to run based on your symptoms and your doctor is already giving you some pretty lousy advice. Sodium helps our bodies to absorb water so we do need it to remain properly hydrated and you're already drinking way more a day than you need to. Drinking too much can lead to water poisoning or cause other problems that lead to dehydration which would be made worse by the decreased sodium. Plus since it's positioned based it sounds a lot more like an infection or blockage which isn't going to be helped by drinking more water. You're more likely to stress the bladder, enlarge it, and develop infection from not being able to get out all of the urine from the extra fluids you're drinking. Definitely ask to be referred to a urologist.
Thanks! I definitely will. If there is a waiting time for the urologist is there anything I can ask my doctor to do for me? I was thinking a scan on my bladder and kidneys or I heard about one when you come in with a full bladder and they take a picture via ultrasound and then you pee and then they take the picture after.

The positional thing is very weird for me. I feel so embarrassed doing it. I literally go to the bathroom and not even 5 minutes later still feel full and I grab a towel and squeeze out a good amount and still feel full. I'm not imagining things. It's in there lol. It's so annoying. I notice it more when I'm laying down because when I'm working or in school my mind is busy. I'm one of those people who can't fall asleep with a full feeling bladder.

I can't imagine how some Women could deal with this their whole life. It's been 2 months and I'm already going crazy! Im very excited about my appointment! I'm going to push for everything. Thanks for everyones advice!

p.s. If they end up doing a catheter which I don't think they will. Do they hurt?
April 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Send a message via MSN to shanise.robertson Send a message via Yahoo to shanise.robertson Send a message via Skype™ to shanise.robertson
it doesnt hurt but for the first little while it makes you feel like you have to pee really bad and nothing comes out which is how you are feeling now so it will just be like that for a couple of mintues

April 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
MissMommy
Good Luck! ♥
April 7th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck with your appointment! If the nurse is in a rush or anything a catheter might pinch a little when they put it in, but I've never thought they were bad.

April 7th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommy View Post
Good Luck! ♥
Thanks so much!

So I had my appointment today and I'm running on no sleep because I had to be up at 330 to bring my mom to the airport lol. He thought I was sick. Just overly tired. So we talk about things and he mentioned the urologist but we can do the ultrasound first to see whats going on so I don't have to wait to get an appt. with them. He told me that 300 or 400 cc left in the bladder is not normal and that would signify a problem etc. He told me 200 cc was a soda can. I don't know if mine would be that much left in there but there is definitely enough left in there to make it feel full. He assured me that it would be normal but just to give me a piece of mind.

I'm so annoyed with that. I'm not imagining my bladder feeling full. it really does. I push on it or lay down even sit down and it feels that way. I don't understand why anyone would want to feel the way that I do. He even wrote urinary frequency on my ultrasound papers. I don't have a frequency I just want to get the rest of the urine out.

Picture yourself having to pee after work or school or whatever everyone is up to. You start to pee and you get the relief. About halfway through it the stream stops and you still have that full bladder feeling and try to keep peeing but you can barely squeeze out a few more drops. (this happens no matter how much water is taken in) Then you start to get creative and use certain positions with either a paper towel or a regular towel under that area and manage to get a good amount out.

Thats been me for the past 2 months. I don't know if anyone can relate but I hope nobody can because it sucks and I dunno what it is! Im just so frustrated. What if it comes out "normal" because I have less than the 400cc.? What do I do then? I'm not imagining this problem at all. I'm going to be so annoyed if it comes out normal because of that.

Thanks for everyones advice. Ultrasound on Friday. Results prob on Monday. Maybe there is a blockage. Hope they pick it right up if there is.
April 7th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been there, but that's been during the third trimester when the baby would move and cut everything off and I'd still be on the verge of doing the potty dance except nothing would come out. Not fun and not something I would think your doctor would take lightly. Even if the u/s comes back okay in his eyes I would still push to see a urologist and get a second opinion both on the results and any tests he feels need to be done. The last thing you need is a massive infection or a burst bladder.

April 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom had this problem!!!

In her case, it was bladder prolapse.

Basically, your bladder can slip down and get wedged into a spot where it's not able to empty completely. If your condition improves when you lean forward or lay on your belly, it might be because you are using gravity to get your bladder out of that place where it is wedged.

Be sure to ask your doctor about this possibility.
April 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAnna View Post
I've been there, but that's been during the third trimester when the baby would move and cut everything off and I'd still be on the verge of doing the potty dance except nothing would come out. Not fun and not something I would think your doctor would take lightly. Even if the u/s comes back okay in his eyes I would still push to see a urologist and get a second opinion both on the results and any tests he feels need to be done. The last thing you need is a massive infection or a burst bladder.
Thanks! I will definitely ask for a second opinion! Sorry you had to go through the peeing thing as well even if they are different circumstances! My doctor does seem to be taking this lightly. I am not a hypochondriac. I don't usually take advil or any of that stuff for pain unless necessary as well as not going to the dr. for colds unless my snot is colored. If I can't pee fully I see this as a major problem. I actually had a pain tonight that made me crunch over in the middle of leaving subway. My SO was like "hey don't die on me!"/ He's also excited for me to get some answers. I also have a few pains in my bladder area as I'm typing this. These aren't very frequent at all but I'm guessing still pretty important. I'm just excited for my ultrasound. I have to drink 32 fl oz an hour before it and not pee. Hoping to god for answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodyinthere View Post
My mom had this problem!!!

In her case, it was bladder prolapse.

Basically, your bladder can slip down and get wedged into a spot where it's not able to empty completely. If your condition improves when you lean forward or lay on your belly, it might be because you are using gravity to get your bladder out of that place where it is wedged.

Be sure to ask your doctor about this possibility.
Oh wow! I have never heard of this. I will have to look it up on the internet as well as bring it up with him after my U/S results are in. This does make some sense because of the positioning that helps get the fluid out! I didn't know my bladder could move out of position and get wedged! Thanks for the input and advice! I will definitely be bringing this up with the dr. and future urologist for my second opinion!
April 12th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Regular
U/S was rescheduled to Tuesday (tomorrow) if anyone is curious about the results. Please wish me lots of results dust!
April 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! Definitely KUP on this.

April 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
im glad you got the appt moved i hope everything goes okay. I am curious about the results also KUP

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search