Can u ovulate twice in a cycle?

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
swtneka's Avatar Praying for a miracle
well i o'd June 29 and my period was due july 9 but i am getting married that day so i decided to take bc to delay it. I had been takin it up til Sunday and yesterday and today i have had alot of EWCM. i meant to take a opk but kept forgetting. Is it possiable to o again.
July 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
You cannot ovulate twice in one cycle. You can release two eggs at once but you can't ovulate two different times in one cycle.

Taking birthcontrol however could have messed your cycle up to throw things off. Your body might be confused.

It might take a while before you will be able to predict cycles again if you've gone on and off bc.

July 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Actually you CAN ovulate twice in a cycle...it's pretty rare, but can happen (you can google it)....

I'm not sure if this is what happened to you though, it's hard to say...BC (not used as guided) can do all sorts of things. It's not really good to use it as a "period delayer", that is not it's intended purpose....Good luck...I hope that your body straightens out... Congrats on your wedding!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
July 20th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I stand corrected then

July 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, the first poster got it right- you can only go through "ovulation" once per cycle- the reason is that the hormones present after ovulation suceeds the first time keep your body from even trying to ovulate again. Two eggs can be released for sure- but the process only happens once.

Here is more information about what people commonly refer to as "ovulating twice"- Can You Ovulate Twice in One Cycle?

I'd say though that it's the BCP messing things up for you.
July 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM
shanise.robertson's Avatar IAmOneWithSupremeReality
Send a message via MSN to shanise.robertson Send a message via Yahoo to shanise.robertson Send a message via Skype™ to shanise.robertson
It is possible to ovulate twice in the same cycle, however it is rare. Occasionally a 2nd egg is released about 24 hours after the 1st egg. It can be beneficial to continue having intercourse for 2 or 3 days beyond ovulation.

go check this out Women can ovulate more than once a month - 09 July 2003 - New Scientist

Thank you ~Nicole~ for my beautiful siggy
(IF YOU WANT TO SEE GOD LAUGH TELL HIM YOUR PLANS)Make a pregnancy ticker
July 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM
mrse0408
It is very possible to O twice in a cycle but it is very rare indeed. I have actually experienced Oing twice in one cycle and confirmed by u/s both times. I am considered very high risk because of my 8 previous losses, so I am monitored very closely each cycle and each and everytime I become pregnant. Also most docs will tell you that it is possible but happens very rarely.
July 20th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrse0408 View Post
It is very possible to O twice in a cycle but it is very rare indeed. I have actually experienced Oing twice in one cycle and confirmed by u/s both times. I am considered very high risk because of my 8 previous losses, so I am monitored very closely each cycle and each and everytime I become pregnant. Also most docs will tell you that it is possible but happens very rarely.

Just to clarify- did you release two eggs or ovulate twice? Becuase those are different and I think that's what the question was asking about.

I think the terms just needed defined, haha. Ovulation itself- the process with FSH, and LH surges, egg releasing and progesterone taking over, doesn't occur more than once in one cycle. But you can have two eggs release within two different times but in the same process (like someone else said, around 24 hours apart).

I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just trying to be specific so we don't have mis-information. Plus, if you actually did have two seperate ovulation process's than I want to know! haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanise.robertson View Post
It is possible to ovulate twice in the same cycle, however it is rare. Occasionally a 2nd egg is released about 24 hours after the 1st egg. It can be beneficial to continue having intercourse for 2 or 3 days beyond ovulation.

go check this out Women can ovulate more than once a month - 09 July 2003 - New Scientist

but they've disproved this study.
July 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
mrse0408
I know exactly what Oing twice is for sure. Especially when it happens a week and a half apart. Speaking as a person who is in medical school right now and who has been through Ob/Gyn rotations, it is very possible to ovulate at different times/points in your cycle. It is not unheard of in the medical profession. This speaking as a student of the medical profession, as a woman whose mother is an Ob/Gyn, and as a woman whose own doctor confirmed it by us twice.
July 20th, 2010, 04:41 PM
mrse0408
Quote:
Originally Posted by snlemon View Post
No, the first poster got it right- you can only go through "ovulation" once per cycle- the reason is that the hormones present after ovulation suceeds the first time keep your body from even trying to ovulate again. Two eggs can be released for sure- but the process only happens once.

Here is more information about what people commonly refer to as "ovulating twice"- Can You Ovulate Twice in One Cycle?

I'd say though that it's the BCP messing things up for you.
Snlemon If I sound a it snarky and like I am snapping, I apologize. I am near the end of my 2WW and I am having cramps like I have had in the past when I was pregnant before and I am having a tooth pulled because it cracked in half somehow. It is causing me so much pain and the I am not wanting to take any medication if I am pregnant again.
July 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrse0408 View Post
Snlemon If I sound a it snarky and like I am snapping, I apologize. I am near the end of my 2WW and I am having cramps like I have had in the past when I was pregnant before and I am having a tooth pulled because it cracked in half somehow. It is causing me so much pain and the I am not wanting to take any medication if I am pregnant again.

No problem- this is honestly the first time I've heard of someone with your experiance. Everything I've read/seen/discussed with my own OBGYN has said that it isn't possible (that it's the double egg thing not the secondary process), so that is quite interesting. Thank you for sharing!
July 20th, 2010, 09:23 PM
soooo it is possiable.... o k
July 21st, 2010, 02:01 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think in your case it sounds like your BC has messed you up a bit. I can't comment on the Oing twice in a cycle thing because there seems to be various conflicting evidence and this is of particular interest to me but I'm not a medical person so I have no definitive knowledge but with the BC your body might have thought it had already gone through a whole cycle and started another one or you might have some confused hormones producing different kinds of CM. It's really hard to know.

Have you stopped taking the BC yet?

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

July 21st, 2010, 10:06 PM
yes i stopped taking it sunday and started gettin lots of ewcm monday tuesday and today and then 2nite i had a lot of ewcm with a tinge of blood in it so i am guessing my period is starting tonite along with the cramps so cd1 for me. Thanks every1 for your input
July 22nd, 2010, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You can O twice in a cycle i read about it once, if i can find it i will post it.. but she O'd twice she was due for one baby in dec and the other baby in jan. or something like that i will see if i can find it. this is very very rare but i can happen

Last edited by Sweetpea24; July 22nd, 2010 at 06:59 AM.
March 5th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Hi Ladies!

Don't mind me, I'm just upping the discussion ante here..

Last Sunday (27 Feb) I was definitely ovulating. I had the pain right before, the EWCM for a whole 3 days. Unfortunately, the timing was wrong for having sex so I figured "great, another month gone". Today (5 March), I'm having the exact same symptoms as last Saturday. I had pain on my left yesterday and am baffled by EWCM today.

For the sake of argument, let's pretend it IS possible for 2 ovulations in 1 very short (25) day cycle. If I were to have sex today, would that push my expected implantation until next week instead of today and my NP until 19 March?

Incidentally, I'm frustratingly regular. I have been for over 2 years when I switched from a 34 day cycle to a 25 day one.
March 5th, 2011, 05:22 AM
3lilbabes's Avatar Veteran
I tested positive twice OPK last cycle. I called and talked to my OB she said you can't O twice in a cycle (it was a long cycle 40 days! I tested positive at CD15 and CD39. Something about AF made CD39 positive. So no, apparently you can't.
March 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes and No. Ok first yes you can ovulate two eggs in a cycle but they will both ovulate with your LH surge. So both eggs will come out within 24 hours of each other if you do ovulate more than one egg.

Second you actually can ovulate and than ovulate a second time later down the line before AF is due. However this is EXTREMELY rare so I doubt this is what happened to you. There are in fact documented cases of women who were pregnant with fraternal twins and the embryos were dated and grew at a rate sometimes as far as a month apart in age. Again this is very very rare. A woman can get pregnant and than her ovaries somehow dont get the messege and than she ovulated within a month after conceiving and than conceives again.

If you got more than one time of getting a positive ovulation test in a single cycle than its most likely you had an LH surge, failed to ovulate, than got another LH surge later as your body attemps to ovulate again. Its happened to me a few times.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

March 5th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Veteran
Hi Ladies,

Just want to put my thoghts into the mix here:

I have "appeared" to ovulate twice in a month. What happened was i would experience EWCM and then about 5 days later i experienced lots of EWCM again along with middle pain - my ob said the most likely thing that occured was that my body attempted ovulation & didnt realease an egg (for whatever its reasons) so tried again a few days later - i can tell you that i did release an egg as that was the cycle i conceived DS !
March 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info, both of you. How about my question of pushing my implantation and next period to the following week if the egg is fertilized during the second LH surge or ovulation? Has anyone heard of that? In terms of HPT, that would me a negative result even when I'm 1 week behind schedule unless I have a very high HCG reading from early on, right?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search