Faint Positives, Negative Blood Test, Symptoms Galore = So Confused

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By maybemommy12
  • 1 Post By Grace

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2012, 03:19 PM
This is my first time ever writing on one of these boards but my situation is so confusing that I honestly don't know where to turn for advice and knowledge -- I am really hoping to hear from anyone who has heard of / had this experience before or at least someone/anyone who may have some input on how I can better deal with it. (Sorry in advance if this is too lengthy of a post.)

My husband and I have been planning to start trying to conceive later this year but have decided in the meantime to continue my use of birth control which has for the longest time been the mini-pill (I have never been able to take estrogen due to severe migraines) -- and long story short, I have experienced 2 pregnancies last year due to apparently getting sick around taking it on schedule and being very fertile. Both pregnancies unfortunately ended in miscarriage around the 5th week. For awhile, because of those 2 experiences, we stopped using it and tried natural methods, but in the end, decided to go back to it for whatever reasons seemed to make sense to us at the time but no longer do. So where we are at right now -- I got my period on March 27th a couples of day late and a bit lighter + shorter but overall very indicative of being my period and nothing more or different. On April 8th I began to experience some pregnancy symptoms which is not uncommon for me when it is much closer to getting my period, but did feel weird so early in the month. On the 9th, the symptoms became stronger (very tender and achy breasts, extreme fatigue, lower back hurting, peeing a lot more and often, bloated belly, constipation) and just out of routine whenever I feel any symptoms (I guess because of my first two experiences) I decided to take a pregnancy test that I already had on hand. I definitely did not expect to see a faint line indicating I was pregnant as it didn't seem to make sense with any normal sense of ovulation timing. I took several more tests after that and they all came up negative so I started to feel like maybe the first was just messed up. The next day I took another preg. test and another faint positive (I will mention both of the faint positives were from a Walgreens pregnancy test while all of the negatives were with the name brands) and my symptoms persisted so I decided that I should call my OB/GYN. A nurse set me up with a blood test that day. Next day (yesterday) I got the call that the test came back negative - my HCG was less than 2 or just plain negative according to the nurse. I had apparently stumped the nurse and I was even more confused than I began as I was still experiencing all of these pregnancy symptoms. I took a few more tests of all different brands and my husband thought I was crazy, and after many more negatives I thought to myself -- okay, I certainly am crazy. A urine test with a faint positive but a negative blood test in the same day? It certainly does make me sound nuts.

The nurse had suggested to monitor my symptoms and take one test a day just to see what happens with them, and now I have just received another faint positive on a Clear Blue, not Walgreens. This is the third faint positive line (I am not the only one seeing them, not in my head -- husband sees them too, clear as day) and now I really don't know what to think.

From everything I have read on forums already it seems like the blood test is the surest way to tell if you are pregnant or not. I am really confused and I know I should just really relax and take one day at a time but it is really hard to be told one thing but to feel and to see the possibility of another. I am not someone who can't wait to get pregnant -- I was more than happy with our plan to wait for the end of this year to try, so I don't think I would be imagining what I am experiencing, especially not with the faint lines. Any help or insight that anyone can provide would be so greatly appreciated!
April 12th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Mommakee's Avatar Regular
Is there anyway for you to upload pictures of the tests? I am currently. In a similar aitua was waiting on blood test.. I hope some of us will be able to help you!
April 12th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Thank you for the response, and I am happy to hear that I am not alone in this situation (best wishes to you on a positive from the blood test!) -- apparently I must have 10 previous posts before I can put the image links in. Not sure if there is any way around that? If not, I guess I will work on 10 posts before putting up the photo links!
April 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah forgot avoid that rule!! No your not alone. And I know it can Maldives you crazy cause one way or the other you just want a clear answer! Did they talk about putting you on provera to start your period?
April 12th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Yes, not getting a clear answer is very tough! No talk of Provera -- is that something that is a common suggestion?
April 12th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
Were those tests you got lines on blue dye tests? If so those tests tend to give evap lines, I would avoids those kind of tests. Also if they were not blue dye tests and they were pink dye tests, then I would say it is possible you had an early loss, from my understanding hcg leave the urine last, so the blood test could be less than 2 but the urine could still be carrying left over hcg.

The other possibility is the blood hcg test was not a test that gives an actual number, did she say the result was less than 2 or did she say it was negative? If they run the positive/negative test, you would need hcg around 25 for that to be positive. Every lab has a different threshold that they claim is +, but usually it's around 25. So you can be pg and have a hcg of 24, but the result would be negative because it wasn't a 25, KWIM? I hope all this made sense.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
April 12th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Grace,

Thank you so much for your input! The first test was pink dye and the latest 2 tests with faint lines are blue dye -- maybe like you said it was just evaporation lines, but the symptoms I can't explain. The nurse also thought that maybe I had experienced an early loss but as I have had two miscarriages before, I know that the pregnancy symptoms went away almost instantaneously and my period on the 27th was not heavy at all. I don't know, but I appreciate the suggestions of possibilities!

The blood hcg test done I guess was a number because she said it was less than 2 which means negative. And as the urine tests usually need the hcg to be 25 or greater, she was really confused too why I would have a faint pos. the same day.

Everything you said makes total sense! I guess I will just need to wait this out for a few more days to see how things continue, especially if my symptoms go away. Thanks again!
Kimme1029 likes this.
April 12th, 2012, 06:25 PM
strvnwritr's Avatar TTC #3 Since 2010
What a crazy situation! I think I would do as the nurse suggested and keep testing for a little while. In the meantime, I see you now have 10 posts....will you post pics for us?

~ Thank you Alethia for my beautiful siggy!~
Married to Michael since 6/17/05, DS James 3/14/06 and DD Maya 6/2/08
8/31/07 ~ 7/19/11 ~ 9/20/11 ~ 1/24/13
April 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I know! It really is crazy. Here are the pictures I took earlier -- the second one is with the daylight backlighting..thought it might help. (Same test but this very faint line is the same in its lightness that I have seen on the other 2).

Last edited by maybemommy12; April 12th, 2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: link issues
April 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM
The Truth is out There
I see it, but it's blue dye- I would try again using pink dye and see how that comes out

April 12th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hmm blue dye test are so hard I mean it looks positive to me but I can't tell a difference between the real deal and an evap line! Good Luck!
April 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I see the line on the blue dye, It could be the famous evap lines but you also said you got a bfp on a pink dye to, which is more convincing. Also even though the pink dye tests claim to pick up hcg at a level of 25, they usually pick it up a lot sooner. I got faint lines with answer with very low hcg levels. So it is possible the hcg was still in the urine, then you had the beta and it was already out of the blood.

Have you ever checked into low progesterone issues? With early losses like you said you had in the past that could be a big possibility. I actually went through that as well and now I take prometrium after O so it makes a thicker lining so the embryo can implant better and the pills provide the needed progesterone for the baby. I would ask your ob about it when you start TTC, maybe the the birth control pills messed up the hormone levels. Hope this helps.
strvnwritr likes this.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
April 12th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Thank you all for looking into that line for me -- I am going to take a pink dye test tomorrow morning to see if it shows up on that one. Maybe all of this is just evaporation lines on tests and pregnancy-like symptoms from my birth control or a miscarriage that I had somehow missed -- we shall see.

I have not looked into low progesterone issues but now that you have mentioned it, I definitely will. Thank you for that insight! I have never heard of it before and I definitely do hope to experience a natural planned pregnancy one day that goes to full term.

I will see what the pink dye test tells me tomorrow and will update. Thanks again to you all!
April 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Update: Negative on First Response Pink dye test this morning but another faint line positive instantaneously on ClearBlue (I had one more left in the pack so thought I would I just go for it) From what I read about evap lines, it is really only a problem when you leave the test out for awhile and re-check it. This is not what I have done on any of the tests, the faint line was there within the first 1-3 minutes. But who knows! -- I am just going to stop obsessing about this but as my symptoms are just seeming to get stronger, I will re-check in a couple of days with pink dye test. Thanks again everyone for the support and input.
April 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM
strvnwritr's Avatar TTC #3 Since 2010
Unfortunately, blue dye tests will sometimes show an "evap" line within the time limit. However, it could still be the start of a true positive. The next few days will really tell the tale. Good luck and keep us posted!

~ Thank you Alethia for my beautiful siggy!~
Married to Michael since 6/17/05, DS James 3/14/06 and DD Maya 6/2/08
8/31/07 ~ 7/19/11 ~ 9/20/11 ~ 1/24/13
April 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Can you post the pink dye one by any chance? Don't get discouraged. Trust me I know how miserable it feels not knowing. I did a Digi yesterday and it said "not pregnant" after I clearly have lines on like 5/7 pink dye tests so I dont know whats going on I haven't had my period I'm NEVER late except for the times I've been pregnant I'm waiting on bloodwork I'm going google crazy! Sometimes as much as we want it know clear answer is present! Even though it's not the normal sometimes crazy things happen... I hope you get an answer soon! Don't let this stress you out or get you down. We are all here if you need to talk!!
April 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM
strvnwritr -- you are totally right that the next few days will really tell the tale! I just need to practice good patience. Thank you and I will definitely update after I get some answers!

Mommakee -- The pink dye test was a blatant negative no matter how hard I looked for that faint line, but thank you for telling me not to get discouraged :-) I am trying not to, but more than anything I just want answers. From your situation, it certainly sounds like you are pregnant since the faint lines have been on the pink dye tests and your period is late! Best of luck to you and please update me when you get your blood test results!

Tags
am i pregnant , faint line , negative blood test

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search