Possible to Have a False Positive HPT?

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I was diagnosed with PCOS this summer (high testosterone, cystic ovaries, acne, only 1 period in 10 months). I started Provera on September 2, following a negative pregnancy test, finished on September 12. I still haven't gotten AF, so I took two pregnancy tests yesterday-- both came up positive. I really, really do not think I'm pregnant. My husband has been traveling for work, so we've only had sex a few times--all with condoms. I'm going to call my doc, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas in the meantime.

Thanks so much in advance!
September 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM
LauraTTCat42's Avatar Proud Host TTC-OM
Were the test lines dark or were they faint? And did you look at both tests within the time limit.

Aside from pregnancy, there are certain ovarian cysts that can produce enough hcg for a +test result. But these cysts are quite rare and not necessarily associated with PCOS. Are you on any medications that might contain hcg?

Jun/July2012 - Cycle 11 started charting
September 27th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks so much for your reply! The lines were very dark and came up quickly (within seconds). I was taking doxycycline, but stopped after the HPTs, in case I am pregnant. Other than the Provera, I take a multivitamin, melatonin, and a creatine supplement. I am going to be stunned if I am actually pregnant after a year of not ovulating and having protected sex-- seems impossible. But-- I keep hearing how sensitive HPTs are...
September 27th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Veteran
Keep us posted
September 27th, 2012, 01:48 PM
More often than not, if it's positive it's positive! Good luck!
September 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the support! This is really helpful. I'm going to act like I'm pregnant, then call my doc in a week, so there's no chance it's a delayed period. I'll also be more convinced if I have a positive HPT next week I will definitely keep you updated!! AHH!
September 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran
About 3 years ago my bf and I broke up...2 months later I realized I hadn't gotten my period yet so went out and got a HPT....which came out positive. I freaked, not only had my bf and I just broken up, but I was on bc AND we always used condoms. I called my dr and she gave the the whole it's rare to have a false positive speech, but i ended up going in to get a blood test anyway. two weeks later, and two blood tests later (they of course lost the first one), she called me up and said I must have been one of the rare few. So it is possible. But good luck!!! keep us posted!
September 27th, 2012, 08:16 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Sounds like you are pregnant. Stranger things have happened! Keep us posted!

September 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
sounds like a true BFP to me ... see what your doctor says though just to be safe

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search