Confused and Concerned

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Hello, all. First off, I am sorry this is so long. I've been having weird symptoms for 3 months, no help from OB/GYN. Have had to get a second opinion and still having issues currently. Just wanting any advice or opinions that anyone can offer to help ease some of this worry. Also, there will be some in here. Fair warning.

I am 23 years old, happily married (2 years next Wednesday!), and experiencing some really weird symptoms. I have endometriosis, diagnosed earlier this year with a laparoscopy (June 2012). Lesions were ablated, we were told my fertility would be higher than ever before, etc. but I really had the surgery to relieve some of the pain I was having all month, not to conceive. I am still in college, due to graduate in May 2013, and we were planning on waiting on TTC until after my graduation, moving, and getting new jobs, so we have continued on BCPs and withdrawal as our birth control.

June, after surgery, AF was spotty. Was told this was normal after surgery. July was a completely normal AF.

August, my period was late, lighter than normal. Took a HPT and it was negative. Didn't really think anything of it at the time, no symptoms. Chalked it up to stress.

September, no period at all. Mood swings, nausea, fatigue, constipation, slight cramping and unusual pelvic pain, food/smell aversions, cravings, frequent urination, etc etc set in the week before I was due to start. Took a HPT, BFN. Went to my OB/GYN the next week, he did a urine test, BFN. No exam done, he didn't even touch me. He was not very sympathetic or anything, even when I started crying in the office. Thankfully, hubs was there. Wrote down the diagnosis as "pelvic pain" but didn't even palpate my abdomen even though I was 3 months post-op. Told me it sounded like there was too much estrogen/progesterone in my system and that I would start bleeding the next week. Went to another office for a second opinion. Got a full work-up, including a bi-manual exam, blood HCG, UTI check, and white count. BFN again, but this doc was stumped because of my symptoms. Told me to act as though I am pregnant until we know for sure.

Oct... No bleeding after the OB/GYN appointment. Was told to continue BCPs, so I did. Still experiencing nausea, vomiting, smell/food aversions, cravings, fatigue, some breast tenderness/growth etc. I'm currently on my placebo week on BCPs and have some spotting and a lot of mucus discharge. Some mild cramping, major mood swings (worse than normal PMS). Called OB/GYN and was told by the nurse that "any bleeding on the placebo week is normal" and that it is nothing to worry about. Called the other office and was told to make an appointment for Monday Oct. 8, which I did.

Both my mother and I personally know people who have experienced low HCG and have had healthy pregnancies (one didn't test + until 4 months; one after 3 months, 2 doctors, and a pill to "reset her periods"). We are both concerned because my fertility is higher than ever post-op, my family is very fertile (4 nieces, 3 nephews from 2 sisters), and I missed a BCP between Aug and Sept (had to start pills a day late and doubled up the first day).

I am worried because I smoke (in the process of quitting after all of this mess started), got bronchitis that almost turned into pneumonia but just started clearing up after 3 different antibiotics, and so on. My primary physician knows the situation and has only prescribed pregnancy approved meds. Also, with the endo, anything abnormal scares the crap out of me, because I don't want to go through he constant pain again.

We were not TTC, but we would welcome a baby if I am pregnant. All my classes could be taken online next semester, so it wouldn't be a problem at all. Mainly, I'm trying not to do anything that could harm a fetus because I could never forgive myself if I did something to hurt my child, even though it seems unlikely that I could be pregnant after 8 BFN home tests, a BFN from the OB/GYN, and a BFN blood HCG.

UPDATE:

Just took a cheapy dollar store HPT and am slightly confused by the results. I took it out of the case to see the entire strip and got two lines, on farther down on the strip (couldn't be seen through the window) but after about 10 minutes it disappeared. Took another, same result.

Last edited by blackflame1389; October 6th, 2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Including a photo
October 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I do not see anything on these pics, it could be that they are pretty far away? This is a mystery for sure. Do oyu have another apointment anytime soon, maybe with a different doc than the one who wouldnt listen?

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
October 6th, 2012, 03:15 PM
LuvRBx5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you couldn't see them in the window then it doesn't mean anything to the result. Probably the dye of the test. If it was anything to do with the result then it would be included in what you see without taking the test out of it's packaging.

They look negative to me.
October 6th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the input, y'all. I don't have a lot of experience with HPTs, because we've never had a situation like this before. I have had the occasional late AF because of stress but I have never missed one before. I've been on BCPs since I was 15 for endo, even though it was undiagnosed until recently.

I have an appointment on Monday with the nurse practitioner who did my second opinion check. I'm just so frustrated with my primary OB/GYN, mainly because of the endo and having weird cycles. If it's unbalanced hormones, that's fine with me, but I'd like for them to listen and actually seem like they care. Heck, maybe they could even check my hormone levels! The nurse practitioner is extremely concerned with the abnormal AFs because of the endo. It just sucks that my OB/GYN isn't, especially since he's the one who did the laparoscopy in the first place.

I know I'm being totally paranoid with this, but like I said in the original post, I know I could never forgive myself if I did some harm to a baby knowing there could be ANY chance I could be pregnant, especially since I did mess up my BCPs before the missed AF. *sigh* I'm trying really hard not to worry or being too nuts about all of this, because I know that will make the missed/late AF situation worse. DH is along for the ride, trying to be as supportive and understanding as possible, even with my crazy mood swings. He's on the fence about everything. Of course, he has never had to deal with missed AFs before this either, lol!

Again, thanks so much for the replies. I really appreciate it.
October 6th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I admire that you are concerned about the possibilty of harming a fetus. There are too many, some of whomIi am related to, who just wouldn't give a hoot and that makes me sad.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
October 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I have four nieces and three nephews (the oldest is 11, the youngest is 2.5) and I adore them all. We almost lost a couple of them; my sister miscarried a twin, one stopped breathing due to RSV...

I couldn't imagine doing something harmful to a fetus, especially when so many people want to conceive so badly. If we are lucky enough to be able to get pregnant when we're ready, then we will be truly blessed. It's something to be treasured.
October 9th, 2012, 01:40 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like the OB said, just pretend you are until you are sure. It will help ensure your body is in prime shape in the future to try if this doesn't turn out to be it. Hope you are getting some answers and wishing you luck in quitting smoking.

October 9th, 2012, 03:13 PM
So an update since I saw the nurse practitioner yesterday:

Had another negative pregnancy test. She thinks that the lower left quadrant pain I've been having might be an ovarian cyst so she has referred me to a different OB to get an ultrasound.

Thank y'all so much for the advice and the support. I really appreciate it!

Tags
anxious , endometriosis , pregnant?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search