can it work? open mind.. please no sarcastic replies :)

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Spyctre

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Regular
So I read this post yesterday of a girl who re-used her pregnancy test and it worked, it came up positive and turns out it was correct. I found this interesting as I have used hpt's and there is never any ink left in the absorbent tip so I gathered this would not work and the theory was not true.
I decided to read into how hpt's work, some of you probly already knew such things but I didn't LOL, in the result panel there are two lines containing different antibodies that react to hgc causing the line to colour.
i realise that re-using a pregnancy test is not hygienic and that all pamphlets say to discard test 10mins after use.
Putting aside my embaresment after googling and seeing that there was quite a few people wondering if you could reuse a test, I decided to try it, I am currently experiancing quiet a few pg symptoms and have tested a few times this week with them coming up negitive, I was about to throw out the box containing the test as I had left it in the bathroom hidden so my visitors didn't see it.
I decided I would test this theory, but figuring there was no ink left on the test strip I chucked some gloves on and drew a line next to the absorbent tissue, I used it like normal and waited to see the results. It colored the test panel all over but darkened the neg result stip and when i waited a little bit there was a visible positive line.
I wonder if this could be true, I would not say that it is a reliable thing to go off but i wonder if it worked properly since the positive line only holds colour if the test detect hgc. I do not do things like this normally bit I found it interesting that it worked for someone else. What do you think?
January 18th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Reusing a test wouldn't give you a definitive answer. It was more than likely coincidence that the girl's online "worked". She just happened to really be pregnant when she did. You may or may not be pregnant, but the dye they put in there is a special kind, as you said. I hope you are pregnant, but I would go ahead and just get a cheap test to check.
strvnwritr and Rebelmommy like this.
January 18th, 2013, 08:58 AM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know.

January 18th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
..I don't really know the possibility of re-using a test being accurate. I think no matter what the result, I'd doubt it..so re-using a test wouldn't be worth it for me.

I always make the argument that if you cant' afford the tests, you can't afford the baby.

January 18th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
I've never heard of this.I know some women cut the test strips in half so they can have 2 for the price of one,but never of reusing them.Not sure about it.

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

January 18th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Regular
Urchin, I agree with you, never the less money is not an issue, I just was curious to see if such a thing worked. I will retest again today with a new test.
January 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did you retest? I am a POAS addict so I am curious about the test Post pics if you can!!! pretty pretty pretty please!!

January 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Regular
Gamer- I threw away the test strips so i won't be able to post a pic sorry but if the hpt comes up positive I will surely let you know.
January 18th, 2013, 06:41 PM
VallyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
PeeOnAStick.com has a great FAQ that covers this

January 18th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Regular
Wow that's really interesting and cool. Thanks vallyd, I am glad someone other than myself tested thus and wrote the results. Thankyou for the link.
January 19th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
I have heard of others doing this, but I personally have not done it because I wouldn't trust the results. Purely on an experimental standpoint, i think its a cool experiment. I would, as I am sure you are, retest with a new test to see the outcome. let us know...interesting!

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search