What are the chances?

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By choomception
  • 1 Post By callista83

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2013, 04:00 AM
I'm 5 days overdue on my period, and if I'm following my calendar correctly, my ovulation date should have been on the 6th. I should have gotten my period May 23. During my week of ovulation (noted on my calendar as May 1-May 6) I did have brown discharge (brown bleeding?) the whole week. My last sexual contact was on May 1. There was no penetration. The tip of his penis pressed against the opening of my vagina at the most (against my labia at the least), but I pulled away from him and from that point on, his penis was no where near me. I'm 22, but feel like I'm not ready for penetrative sex.

My last few periods have been regular (I suppose? I'm quite unsure about what's regular and what's not honestly, and I've only just started documenting.), starting Feb 6, March 13, and April 18 for my last three. Being 5 days overdue, I don't know if it's just from stress (it's finals!) or if that short amount of time of his penis pressing against the opening of my vagina would have been enough for pregnancy to happen. I suppose all this stressing about it has pushed my period back as well.

I can't think of any other reasons for having missed a month. I never thought stress would make that happen.

I have been employing herbal methods to try to bring on my delayed period. Mainly upping my vitamin intake (especially vitamin C) and drinking parsley tea and using a parsley pessary for the past few days, but nothing has brought it on.

I haven't picked up any HPTs. I'm a bit nervous about it, but I suppose I can't keep putting it off; I told myself after exams I would (if my period never comes). I'm an international student leaving after my exams are over, so if there's a chance of pregnancy, it would be taken care of at home, so I basically told myself if my period doesn't come, I'll test when I get home.

Based on all that, am I overreacting (did I miscalculate), or can I be pregnant?

Thank you everyone!
May 28th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I HIGHLY doubt you're pregnant. It takes more than just genetals touching to cause pregnancy.

Also, simply using a calendar to determine ovulation or your period is not effective. They just take a guess based on what a "typical" 28-day cycle is. It's very likely you're not actually late, but that the calendar is telling you are, based on a typical cycle, which you're likely not. For instance, I typically have a cycle of 28-29 days. I ovulate anywhere between day 14 and 19 (I use temping or following my body signs to determine when I actually ovulate). SO as you can see, if you're only using a calendar to guess at your fertile days, you could could be off by many days.

You could take a test to ease your mind, but I think you're probably worried about nothing!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

Last edited by Urchin; May 28th, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
May 28th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
While it is technically possible to get pregnant from precum (the little bit of ejaculate that comes out while he's aroused) it is such a small chance as it would have had to make its way into you and you would have to be fertile. I agree with Urchin, highly unlikely.

Using the dates you gave, your last 2 cycles were 35 and 36 days long. Using those dates, I can see why you said you are 5 days late but if you are only going on 2 cycles, you can't really say 35/36 is your regular cycle length. Stress can make your period come later too definitely.

If you don't have your period by the time you get home, test or test here if it will put your mind at ease, but I don't think you're pregnant.

And about not being ready for sex, that's perfectly okay. I was 22 when I had sex for the first time. If you don't feel ready, that's okay.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014
May 28th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Thank you both for your responses! I was vacillating back and forth between "I am, I know it" to "I can't be, there's no way". It hasn't helped that through poor exam eating habits (mainly crisps and sweets in the library) I've gained a little weight, and when I put my shorts on today they were a bit tight. I must say I panicked a bit, but I do feel a lot better after reading your responses.

If it doesn't come by the time I get home, I'll definitely test just to be 100% sure, but I have been playing with the idea of going to the doctor for some birth control. Mostly to regulate and ease the horrible cramps I get. I've just been worrying about side effects of birth control (weight gain, break outs...etc.).

I'll try not to put so much stock in my calendar! It was quite helpful for the last couple I've had. I had a general idea of when to expect it. It's normally just taken me by surprise (I guess that defines irregular!)

I appreciate your responses, and I'll definitely try to de-stress! My last exam is on Friday, so I'll get to relax very soon.
Urchin likes this.
June 4th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Just thought I'd give you guys an update. Even though it's been a way long time, my period has finally started! Deep breath of relief. It seems the relaxation of home is exactly what I needed, as I've only been home for one day!

Thank you for your reassurances and responses, and I'll definitely be a lot more careful in the future!
June 5th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
Thanks for the update! It was probably stress that was keeping it away.
choomception likes this.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search