Could she still be pregnant?

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2013, 05:47 PM
bnt2010's Avatar Member
I'm posting this for my sister.

About a month ago she had a miscarriage. She went to the ER for spotting, all they did was a pelvic exam and blood work and everything was fine. She was 6 weeks exactly, and all that was really wrong was her levels were only 72.
Her bleeding was moderate, never actually filled up a pad.

She passed the baby what she thought was the baby on August 5th.

She went to an OBGYN for a follow up about a week ago, and all he did was feel her uterus and do an exam to feel her cervix and ovaries. He said he didn't think she was still pregnant, and that she had the option to come back if she missed her period and get a test done.

Its now a month later, and she's been having all her symptoms. She even looks like she'd be 11 weeks pregnant. No one will do any sort of test because they're just going off what the hospital said.
She's almost a week late for her period (mind you, she hasn't had sex).

Almost everyone she told mentioned the possibility of twins. Our mother miscarried twins, and a family friend who had twins were especially adamant about it. But she never got an ultrasound because no one thought she needed one.

She has taken two pregnancy tests, and they've both been negative since the bleeding stopped. They were both Dollar Store brand, and she had taken the exact one the day before she took her positive FRER (which was also negative).

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this and still been pregnant, or are there any other possibilities as to why she's still experiencing symptoms?

December 20, 2010!
September 7th, 2013, 10:22 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
If she took those tests a month after her first positive FRER, and she was indeed still pregnant, then they would most certainly be positive. While I can personally agree on the fact that the Dollar Store tests are not as sensitive as the FRERs, they would still definitely show up if someone was 11 weeks pregnant, know what I mean? Has she taken any more FRERs? Perhaps seeing a negative FRER would help to convince her that everything is as the doctors say it is. And if she still needs confirmation, then she could pay out-of-pocket for an ultrasound at a clinic. I believe they're fairly reasonable, under $100 usually.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
September 8th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I was a surviving twin. My mom was told she definitely was not pregnant any more, but 4 months later there was a surprise baby in her. She was very thin back then, 80-90 lbs. She thought I was a hernia. Her "hernia" had a pulse and was moving. This was over 30 years ago, though. I would think technology had improved.

I won't say it's impossible. Some ladies--rarely--never get a positive test. Your hcg also drops during pregnancy so you may get lighter tests the further along you are. More than likely, though, if she was pregnant, the test would show. I'm very sorry for her loss. I know how heartbreaking it can be.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
September 8th, 2013, 07:05 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
I'm pretty sure after a vanishing twin your levels start to rise again and would show on a pregnancy test. I'm 99% sure that's what happened to my best friend. That small amount of bleeding is very suspect though. I would get an ultrasound any way possible. I hope she gets some answers soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search