Implantation Bleeding or Early Period?

Forum: Am I Pregnant

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Am I Pregnant LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Okay ladies, I'm new here, but hoping to get some insight!

Had my last period starting on November 25th and it was normal. I'm very regular and haven't ever had anything out of the ordinary...I'm always right on time with starting, not usually off by more than maybe a day or two at the absolute most. My periods are typically heavy the first two days with a lot of clotting, and then ease off pretty rapidly. So, that was all normal and based on that I would have been ovulating somewhere between December 6th-13th. Well, my significant other lives out of state at the moment, and it happens that I was visiting him there on those exact dates and we had sex at least once a day during that time. No protection, sometimes pulling out but not always. And I did experience an increase in discharge later in the week while I was there, which I read could be another indicator of conception. I wasn't expecting to start my period until sometime next week, but yesterday I experienced some light cramping (aching in my upper thighs) and some bleeding started...much lighter than I would normally experience with my period. The cramping went away just about as soon as it started, but the bleeding has continued into today, though still not getting any heavier than what it was and nowhere near what it would normally be for my period. I have been using tampons since yesterday afternoon, but decided to switch to a pad and see what it is like that way. Still no cramping or any other symptoms I normally have with my periods, headaches and stuff. Most of the blood has been brownish colored, but occasionally when I wipe it is pink to red, though sometimes there's nothing at all.

Based on several different ovulation calculators I tried, the timing is insanely spot on, and I would have conceived around the 9th and be about nine days past ovulation, which is in the right time frame for implantation bleeding. I've read some many different things on it at this point that I'm not sure what at all to think! If this is my period, it's way abnormal. I did take an HPT last night, which was negative, but I think it's probably too soon for anything to show up on one anyway.

I don't want to convince myself that I am pregnant, but I also don't want to just assume that I'm not. I would love to hear what anyone thinks...any information or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
December 18th, 2013, 12:42 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Based on the timing of things there is a good chance you could be pregnant. That being said, people have weird cycles all the time even if they are normally very regular. The bleeding could just be the start of your AF and it could pick up and turn into a full flow. I am inclined to think it's implantation just based on the timing of it but it could go either way. If it is from implantation, it usually takes 2 to 3 days from the time of implantation for you to have enough hCG in your system to show up on a test. I'd wait a couple days and test again. I think you'll know something soon.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 18th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
Based on the timing of things there is a good chance you could be pregnant. That being said, people have weird cycles all the time even if they are normally very regular. The bleeding could just be the start of your AF and it could pick up and turn into a full flow. I am inclined to think it's implantation just based on the timing of it but it could go either way. If it is from implantation, it usually takes 2 to 3 days from the time of implantation for you to have enough hCG in your system to show up on a test. I'd wait a couple days and test again. I think you'll know something soon.
Thank you for your response. This is the hardest part...the hurry up and wait for something to happen one way or another...especially when it's impossible to know until you know! And then the more you read the more confused and uncertain you get because some things say no way is implantation bleeding more than very light, and some things say it is entirely possible for it to be somewhat heavier, otherwise why would be mistakenly think they were starting their cycle so frequently.
December 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by whole30health View Post
Thank you for your response. This is the hardest part...the hurry up and wait for something to happen one way or another...especially when it's impossible to know until you know! And then the more you read the more confused and uncertain you get because some things say no way is implantation bleeding more than very light, and some things say it is entirely possible for it to be somewhat heavier, otherwise why would be mistakenly think they were starting their cycle so frequently.
I've been pregnant a few times and have had implantation bleeding before. For me, it's always been really light spotting but it is entirely possible for it to be mistaken for a period. And yeh, you do have to just wait things out unfortunately but you'll know something soon. A day seems like an eternity when you don't know.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 18th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I agree with Patti. It sounds very promising that you could be pregnant, but even the most regular cycles can sometimes go off the rails...especially this time of year!

Good luck and please keep us updated! I will be interested in seeing if you get a BFP!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

December 19th, 2013, 04:10 AM
I'm in the same boat the past week. Bleeding began 11 days post ovulation. More than spotting, but way less than a period and very irregular. Everything about this cycle points to pregnancy but now at 14 days post ovulation still no dark positive tests. Could be an early m/c aka chemical pregnancy. A few more days for both of us should tell.
December 19th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamascarlett View Post
I'm in the same boat the past week. Bleeding began 11 days post ovulation. More than spotting, but way less than a period and very irregular. Everything about this cycle points to pregnancy but now at 14 days post ovulation still no dark positive tests. Could be an early m/c aka chemical pregnancy. A few more days for both of us should tell.
It's kind of nice to know that someone else can relate...not that I want either of us to have to be so unsure, but it's still just kind of a relief to know you aren't the only one that is feeling totally clueless. My bleeding has not stopped at this point...like you said, more than spotting but way less than a period and definitely irregular and inconsistent. It started 8 DPO (in the afternoon), so it's been less than 48 hours so far and it has neither increased nor gone away completely, though it seems over the last eight hours or so to have decreased somewhat. The timing is beyond perfect for this to be pregnancy related, but I am trying not to convince myself one way or the other. I'm not getting my hopes up that it is, but I don't want to rule it out completely either. I think I'll probably test again today.
December 19th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
I agree with Patti. It sounds very promising that you could be pregnant, but even the most regular cycles can sometimes go off the rails...especially this time of year!

Good luck and please keep us updated! I will be interested in seeing if you get a BFP!
I'm interested in seeing if I get one, too! Haha. I keep waiting for some other symptoms to show up that I would normally be having with my period...cramping, aching, headaches, clotting...24-48 hours in would normally be when I'm at my heaviest and it's lightened up from yesterday...not even enough to saturate a pad in a day (I switched from tampons just in case and so I could try and monitor it a little better). But my impatient self is already at the point of thinking it's probably anything other than pregnancy. Begin Jeopardy music.
December 19th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Okay ladies...here's the latest update. Bleeding has stopped entirely now except for a slight tinge of light brownish when I wipe (sometimes...sometimes nothing). Throughout this morning it was very minimal...a few drops here and there...and then disappeared pretty much completely by the late afternoon and has not increased again since. So, all together the bleeding lasted just slightly over 48 hours and was definitely not even remotely close to resembling what my normal AF would be like.

At any rate, I took a test this evening and it was the biggest BFN I could possibly have gotten. Still not having any of my other regular AF symptoms. I'm trying very hard not to make up any pregnancy symptoms, but I've had a mild headache all afternoon and evening, and I had to leave the room while my daughter was eating earlier because it was making my stomach turn. It might be a little overboard, but I'm going to test again first thing in the morning...I did have A LOT of water this afternoon before I took the test.
December 20th, 2013, 03:32 AM
rusticbythesea01's Avatar Steph
It sounds like implantation spotting since it was so light & it stopped....and your right, you are dead on for it to happen! It's still so early, so I would hang in for a couple days and retest! Good luck!!!

2/10/14 @ 6w3d
December 20th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticbythesea01 View Post
It sounds like implantation spotting since it was so light & it stopped....and your right, you are dead on for it to happen! It's still so early, so I would hang in for a couple days and retest! Good luck!!!
Thanks for the response! All I know at this point is that whatever this was, it was NOT AF, no way. The negative tests are discouraging, but I keep reminding myself of how early it is. I think it's safe to say there's a possibility that it is just too soon, especially if implantation just happened within the last two days. I found a table that shows the hCG levels during pregnancy and according to that by week four you can still be as low as 5 mIU, which is not going to show up on an HPT. I think I'll try to hold out through the weekend before I retest...I would expect AF Sunday-Tuesday, so we'll see what happens. I don't think I'm out of the running quite yet!
December 20th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Regular
Just to think, if we both end up being pregnant, we'll be due near the same time, how great is that!
December 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I wonder321 View Post
Just to think, if we both end up being pregnant, we'll be due near the same time, how great is that!
That's what I love about forums like this...it allows you to connect with people that you wouldn't ever get to know otherwise! If I am, it looks like I'd be due 09/01/14. I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up.

Tags
early pregnancy , implantation bleeding , period , signs of pregnancy , symptoms

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search