Talking to kids about divorce

Forum: Divorce and Separation

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Divorce and Separation LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Looking for a little advice here. My husband and I are getting divorced. It's not and angry divorce. We have simply decided that we don't want to be together anymore. We are friends, but we don't have feelings for each other anymore and both want something more in a relationship. We have both been in complete agreement with things surrounding money, custody, etc. We have a 4 year old and 6 year old and I don't know how to explain this to them. We dont' hate each other, we dont' fight. They don't even quite understand what it means to be married I don't think. So I don't know how to talk to them about this. Husband is leaving in a few months to live in Japan for two years with the military. We've already explained that tot hem. But I worry that our relationship will be confusing to them? Even though I think it's awesome that he and I can remain friends and have a good relationship, just not "together". We want to talk to them soon. Just not sure how to get them to understand.

October 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
One thing I left out was that we still live together. We aren't physically separated yet. So this might make things more confusing.

October 17th, 2012, 12:42 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Talking to the kids I think is one of the hardest parts..
Zoe is also 6 I just explained to her Mommy & Daddy both loved her more than anything and nothing would change that but we were going to be living in different houses. It took a few weeks for everything to sink in and for her to understand. I think at this age they adjust pretty quickly. I can understand with what you have explained how it would be confusing just try and explain the best you can what is going to happen so they know what to expect and just stay positive with them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search