Hi

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
I posted a while back about my daughter possibly having reflux, and sure enough she does. Our doctor prescribed Zantac for her and it works good. She still spits up from time to time, but its not a 'fountain' like it used to be.

We went back to Soy formula after the Alimentum didnt work for her. It was so gross!! I tasted it, and BLECH! No wonder she didnt want to eat it!

Does anyone know how long she will need to be on the meds?? How long was/is your baby on it????

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
June 10th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Super Mommy
I'm glad she's feeling better! That's awesome! My DD was on prilosec (we tried zantac first and it didn't work for her) until she was 11 months old. The ped said we could wean her at 9 months if she was doing well. She was, but it was still cold season then so we decided to wait (colds and coughing make reflux worse). So we waited for 10 months and then slowly weaned her. She was off completely around 11 months. It's a little over a month later now and she's doing awesome. In general I think you could consider weaning once your DD is able to sit on her own (around 6 months) and is eating solids. Sitting up will help keep the acid down and solids will too. So I'd wait at least until then.
- Xty
June 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM
bobbie's Avatar Member
Send a message via MSN to bobbie Send a message via Yahoo to bobbie
My DD was a 35wk preemie and only was on meds (Pepcid - virtually the same s Zantac just another brand) until she was 6-8 month old. My DS was a 38wk'er and he is 4 and still medicated... so I think it is different for each child and depending on how bad the case.

I am glad you got help!! Sounds like you are on a good track. Zantac is a pretty weight sensative medicine so if it appears to stop working, talk to the DR because she may just have had a growth spurt and needs a little bump in dose

Good luck!

</div>
June 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Quote:
My DD was a 35wk preemie and only was on meds (Pepcid - virtually the same s Zantac just another brand) until she was 6-8 month old. My DS was a 38wk'er and he is 4 and still medicated... so I think it is different for each child and depending on how bad the case.

I am glad you got help!! Sounds like you are on a good track. Zantac is a pretty weight sensative medicine so if it appears to stop working, talk to the DR because she may just have had a growth spurt and needs a little bump in dose

Good luck![/b]
My DD was a 35 weeker as well. I think that I am going to talk to the dr about her mds nots really working as well. She still spits up, but its about the same as before she started the meds. Thanks for the advice. I cant wait for her to outgrow this!!! I do about 2 loads of laundry a day of nothing but her stuff because of how much she spits up. She goes through 4-5 outfits a day. Gets in on her blankets, bibs, and stuff.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
July 3rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Super Mommy
Hi Melba,
How's Adeliya doing? Did the ped decide to up her meds or try a different one? I hope you can get the spitting up down more! With my DD, when she was in a bouncey chair a lot of the day, we ended up putting a garbage bag over the bouncey chair and then a soft bath towel over that as I got sick of trying to wash the bouncey chair material all the time! Anytime she barfed (my DD would barf up entire bottles at a time) we'd just pull the towel off and replace with another. Once we got the prilosec to stay down (she'd barf that up too - so we had to learn to give it to her on an empty stomach and to regive the whole dose if she barfed within 30 mins of taking it) she finally stopped throwing up. That was heaven. I wonder if prilosec/prevacid would help Adeliya more than the zantac? We had tried zantac first but it didnt help us...
- Xty
July 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hi!! Yes, we got to see the dr on Thursday, and we told her that she was still spitting up, and she said that between 4 and 6 months it will be getting worse, but hopefully she will outgrow it. She did give us another prescription, this time for Prevacid, so I am hoping that it will help her more than the Zantac. I work in a school and one of my parents has a son who has Refluz almost as bad as Adeliya does, and I talked to her, and she told me that Zantac is weight-based, so instead of .3 I started giving her .4 and it seemed to help better. I cant fill her prescription until my Medicaid card for her comes in which will be in a few days, I hope. So I hope and pray that this new script will help her. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We have to keep her inclined when she sleeps because she will spit up in the middle of the night and Im afraid that at times I wont hear it, and she will choke on it. We cant really move her around too much and now that she is starting to move a whole lot more, we notice that her 'episodes' are more frequent. Ugh!

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search