Hi everyone!

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been on JM for a few years now, but have never had to visit this board until now.

My new son, Jacob, has reflux. His pedi told us a few weeks ago, she started him on pepcid and it didn't help. We stopped giving it to him and in desperation I asked if we could try something else, she gave us zantac but told us she usually starts with that since it's not as strong, so it probably wouldn't work, especially if the pepcid didn't. And of course it didn't work.

So we have a GIU appointment on the 24th of this month.

My poor little guy will writhe in pain as he eats, he spits up a lot, sometimes just clear liquid, which is maybe stomach acid? Sometimes he'll spit up, swallow it and then scream. It breaks my heart.

We have his bassinet mattress raised and he spends a lot of time when he's not being held, in his bouncer and swing because its upright.

July 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Super Mommy
Welcome!
Sorry you have to find yourself here on this board - no one is ever too happy to be here!

Pepcid and zantac are both the same class of drug - H2 blockers. It seems like most babies get started on these when they are diagnosed with reflux. If it works, great. If not, time to try a different class of reflux drugs - the proton pump inhibitors. The two I mostly hear babies taking from this class are prilosec and prevacid. My own DD did not get better at all on zantac, but did awesome on prilosec. I'd say call your ped and see if they will give you a prescription to prilosec or prevacid to try until you get to the GI appt. It takes about a week for the drugs to work, so it would be good to try them now - then when you go to the GI appt you'll be able to tell them if it works or not (or perhaps if it works you wouldn't even have to go to the appt?).

Let us know how it goes!
- Xty
July 7th, 2008, 09:11 AM
My pedi won't prescribe anything else for some reason. She said I have to wait until his GI apt, I'm hoping there, they will be able to prescribe him the right meds.

July 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Super Mommy
Oh, that's too bad! I'm sorry you have to wait so long to see the GI doc then!
- Xty
July 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Welcome

I am sorry to hear that your son is having problems with Reflux. We were like that as well. But Adeliya couldnt keep anything down. She would spit it ALL but maybe an oz. It was awful. She cried and would go stiff.

Sorry to hear that the Zantac and Pepcid didnt help at all. We have tried so many different formulas, and then we tried Zantac, but have they told you that the Zantac is weight-based? We would give her .3mL of liquid Zantac and it didnt help after a while. So I bumped it up to .4mL and its great. We also have Prevacid and we are going to fill that script today.

I hope that your son gets better and his problems are soon gone. I would give my DD Chamomile Tea to soothe her from her pain in her stomach. Just an idea you might want to try. She slept in her carseat until she started moving around that I thought she would fall out.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
July 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Well it SEEMS that he is gradually outgrowing it! We've also been giving him rice cereal with probiotics in it and it helps as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search