New here

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello all! My little girl will be 5months old on the 12th. She was dx with reflux at 5weeks and was started on Zantac, due to her spitting it out and refusing to take it the GI switched her to Axid and she had been doing ok on it however every 3 weeks or so they would increase the dose due to her weight changing and the fact that she would start up with eating issues again. She would turn away from the bottle refuse to eat and try to smack the bottle away. They would increase her dose the eating issue would improve and then the cycle would start over KWIM? Anyway for the last week her eating has again taken a turn for the worse so the GI has decided to switch her to Prevacid. Just wondering about your experience with Prevacid, is it hard to give? We were given a rx for the solutab. Have your children done better with this opposed to Axid or Zantac? Any side effects at all? Also we were told since it can take 2 weeks to start working to give her Maalox up to 3x per day to help until it kicks in? Have any of you given that and has it helped the transition? Sorry for all the questions it is just that I hate to give her medicine as it is and now we are starting with something new and it makes me a bit nervous. Thanks for reading and any feedback would be appreciated.
July 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Super Mommy
Welcome!
My DD was on zantac at first (started around 5 weeks) but it didn't work for us. We moved over to prevacid - the solutab. For us, that didn't go so well as she gagged on the little balls (the solutab will "dissolve" into little tiny balls in a liquid) and then would barf up both the meds and her last bottle. Not so good since she was failure to thrive and every calorie counted. Finally got switched to prilosec which our pharmacist compounded into a liquid (that we got flavored as it tasted yucky). That did the trick - she did so awesome on it. (She's 13 months now and no longer on meds). Prilosec and prevacid are from the same class of drugs - so I'm sure the prevacid would have worked just as well for us if we could only get her to keep it down. But she was 5 weeks old when we tried it - and your DD is almost 5 months old so there is a big difference in gag refluxes there. I've since heard some people put the solutab in the baby's mouth and just let them suck on it too and that worked for them.
Never tried Maalox and I didn't see any side effects with the prilosec (same class as prevacid so would have similar side effects if any).
Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
- Xty
PS Five months...could some of the not wanting to eat be teething? That's around when it can start...
July 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the response I am hoping that she takes the Prevacid without too much of a problem, sadly she is getting used to medicine so hopefully it will be an easy transition. As for the teething I actually thought that could be the problem too and mentioned that to the GI as well but he seemed to think it was more reflux related? so I guess I will give the Prevacid a try and go from there. Thanks again for your response and glad your daughter is now med free!! I cannot wait until that day!
July 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
bubby's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to bubby
Ds is on Prevacid and it was hard for him to take at first also. The solutabs can be mixed with 2-4 ml of water in a syringe then given that way, they can be dissolved in the mouth (that made my ds gag and throw up) or what we do is put some yogurt in a small bowl, place the solutab on top and I drop a couple drops of water on top of the tab so it gets real soft after about a min. Then I give a couple spoonfuls of yogurt and one with the solutab (whole). It works really well. You can use applesauce, pudding etc...
Good luck!!!

~Married my Coastie 01/20/06~
~Mom to Joshua 07/31/07~

July 8th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a good approach to giving the med. We gave her 1st dose this morning and tried to dissolve in water which is what the GI told us to do and she probably only got 1/2 of what she was supposed to, the rest she spit out. Seems more like just her normal reaction to having a syringe shoved in her mouth because she seemed to like the taste she was licking her lips afterwards and she never did that with the Axid so hopefully we will figure out a better way to get it all in her. Thanks girls!
July 8th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Super Mommy
Yeah, from what I remember the taste is good - like strawberries I think?
That's a cool idea about the yogurt!
- Xty

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search