Phlemy spitup and trouble breathing!

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi new here but not to JM. I recently gave birth to my daughter a week ago and started her on Similac advance when she was two days old. The first couple of days was great but a couple times she would spit up and some would come out her nose. I remember my first daughter doing this so I didnt think anything of it. This morning however my mom had her and she said she spit up and it was coming out her nose. I casually went over there and realzied that she was having trouble breathing! Is this normal? I didnt know what to do. I ran all over looking for her nose sucker to at least get it out. Meanwhile burping her like crazy trying to help her breathe. I noticed that her spit up was very phlemy again is this normal??? I was sooo scared but eventually she started breathing better and I sucked the excess spit up out. She had another bout when SO came home but that mainly was due to the fact that he was talking on the phone while feeding her and didnt realize that he didnt burp her after 1 1/2 oz! This time it wasnt so bad. I should mention that she burps very well and I burp her after every ounce or half ounce. So just twenty minutes ago she was sleeping in her bassinet and all of a sudden we both hear this gush of liquid and again she spit up! Again she really couldnt breathe because it was all phlemy. I dont know what to do. Im waiting on a call from the on call nurse at the clinic but Im sooo scared to go to sleep tonight and what if something happens to her. Id just go ballistic if she stopped breathing Does this sound like reflux or should I change her formula. She was doing so good on it.

July 9th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Super Mommy
I'd bring her in to the pediatrician today and explain what is going on. The not breathing well sounds scarey! I haven't really heard of reflux babies having trouble breathing, unless she's aspirating in her lungs or something? I don't know - but that's something serious enough that I'd bring her right to the pediatrician and get their advice. Please let us know what you find out - I'll be thinking of you today and hoping for good news!
- Xty
July 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks I actually made an appt for noon today. I called the on call doctor last night and she said that since she is so young to bring her in. She told me to keep her upright for thirty minutes after each feeding and burp her really good. Also try giving her alittle less see if that works although she said she was eating the right amount of food for her weight. I also read that the RTF formula is easier on the tummy because of less foam from not being shook up. The doctor told me to do that or boil the water for the powder mix and let it sit in the frig. I dont remember her doing this til we got on the powder similac....Hopefully they will be able to tell me what is going on. She didnt do it at all last night and I used the RTF. Although this morning she had a little droplet come out her nose. I just dont understand why it comes out the nose sometimes all by itself

July 9th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Super Mommy
I'm glad they will see you today! Let us know what they say. I'm wondering why it is phlegmy. Milk allergy? Cold? I don't know!
I've been thinking about it more and my DD would sometimes vomit (from the reflux) her whole bottle and it would occassionally come out her nose too - but she never had issues breathing after that. Then again she was a month and a half old and older when that happened and your DD is only a week old so her nostrils are probably pretty small and easy to plug up. I think babies can't mouth breathe for awhile too? I'm not sure - thought I remember something about that. I wonder if that's part of the issue? I dunno. Let us know what the doc says! Good luck - I hope its something simple!!!
- Xty
July 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM
thanks for the concern. the dr said the same thing about the nose thing and that is why she has trouble breathing. she isnt too worried about it because she is gaining her weight back fast. She said to defiantely have the nose sucker on hand at all times so pretty much I get to deal with that. I asked about the formula but she doesnt quite think its that just more of she is still adjusting to something other than the nutrients that she got from me through cord. She said that she is doing great and she doesnt think there is a difference between the RTF and powder formula but do what I think is best and so far we havent had any trouble last night or today on the RTF. Thanks again for your support.

July 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Super Mommy
You're welcome! I'm glad the ped thinks its all ok! I hope all goes well. Maybe keep doing the RTF until she's a bit older and can handle the powdered one better.
- Xty
July 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jake has it come out his nose sometimes, I just pick him up and hold him forward so it all drips out. It scares him though and his arms flail up. Makes me feel so bad.

My friend mentioned my son having reflux to her pedi, and her pedi told her that reflux can sometimes cause asthma symptoms, not sure what that is supposed to mean, but maybe trouble breathing. My pedi didn't say anything like that so I don't really know, but figured I'd mention it since my friend's pedi said it.

July 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Veteran
I have been in a similar situation. My son Noah is 2 months old, and was born with a cleft palate(hole in the roof of his mouth). When he was 4wks old he had spit up to the point where he was choking on thick phlem. He stopped breathing for 10 seconds and turned blue. I was able to help him by using a bulb syringe to suction his mouth out. What I pulled out was horrible....it happened again that same day and our Ped. said to go to the childrens hospital emergency. He was admitted and we were there for 4 days. They ended up saying that because of the cleft he would choke and fluids would come out of his nose always....they also mentioned he had bad reflux which was also part of the problem. Now he is on 2 medicines for this.

I know how you felt when your baby was choking. I was in panic mode and I was crying out and calling his name. His life flashed before my eyes and it scared me so much. Because of this I am more alert and probably a bit over protective of his feedings and burpings. Let me know how she is doing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search