Hello! New Here!

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Veteran
Hey everyone! I just want to tell you alittle bit about my situation. My son is 2 months old and was born with a cleft palate (hole in the roof of his mouth), because of this he spits up and chokes often and liquids run out of his nose. He's already been admitted to a Childrens Hospital because he choked and stopped breathing for about 10 seconds - turning blue. He is better now, but they diagnosed him with reflux. At first we were just doing Zantac (which I later found out hasnt worked for anyone), and now he takes both Zantac and Relgan. His PED. said later on we would put him on the Prevacid Solu Tabs, which I heard works wonders.

I wanted to get some peoples opinion on putting rice cereal into the breastmilk/formula. We were advised to put 1/4tsp per ounce of milk to control the spitting up. I have noticed a slight difference, but the problem we are now having is that my son get constipated and backed up. He would go 4 days without a BM and we ended up having to do suppositories. His PED had now recommended Oatmeal instead but i dont see a difference with that as far as him being able to have a regular BM, so she recommended Gerber Prune Juice when he does need it. I dont let him go 2 days without a BM before using something. Does anyone else have this problem or has had this problem? If so what have you or do you do? Also what are your thoughts on the cereal in the bottles? Do you think it helps??? Any opinions will help! Thankyou!!!

Jess

July 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Super Mommy
We tried cereal in the bottle and it didn't help up with the throwing up - only prilosec helped with that. My DD got constipated from the rice cereal too. Since it wasn't helping us with the throwing up, we just stopped using the rice cereal in order to help with the constipation.
Sometimes you can help a baby go by taking his temperature - the thermometer in the butt with all that vaseline seems to help.
We tried prune juice, but my DD refused to drink it. Pear juice should help too if you want to try that. A warm bath seems to help too.
- Xty
July 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello, We tried rice in the bottle for a little while and we tried the Enfamil AR that is already thickened and both made her really really constipated and didn't help with the reflux so we stopped. I have heard of people having success with it it though. My DD now eats oatmeal from a spoon and it still constipates her if she eats too much so we only do it a couple times a week. I could also never get DD to drink juice for her constipation, not even pear juice she just hates juice of any kind it seems? She is a picky picky girl LOL. But if your little one will drink some juice it should help get things moving.

As far as Zantac goes it didn't work for us, then we were on Axid which kind of worked for a while but recently we were switched to Prevacid and she was doing great, now however she seems to be in the thick of teething and is back to spitting quite a bit and not wanting to eat and is just a superfuss in general. I am hoping it passes quickly because I am going nuts over here!! Anyway good luck I hope you find something that works for you, trial and error seems to be the key when it comes to reflux I guess.
July 23rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Veteran
Thanks for your ladies insight on things. I have tried the thermometer and I'v tried a warm bath. Neither have helped really. If anything the bath sooths him, which is good to know, but doesnt help in the long run. He seems to like the prune juice ok - but he's only 2 months and I dont want to be giving him stuff we should be avoiding at his age. I'm sure alittle prune juice is ok every now and then but this seems like a daily battle - and I know he has a sensitive stomach. We meet with a GI next month, so hopefully he can do or recommend something for Noah. Thanks Again!

July 23rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Super Mommy
"His PED. said later on we would put him on the Prevacid Solu Tabs, which I heard works wonders."

Why can't he go on Prevacid now? Why not until later? My DD was put on the Prevacid solutabs at 5 weeks old, so it can't be an age thing...

Just curious as I know a lot of people on here that think zantac did nothing think that prevacid and prilosec worked wonders (me included!)

We had tried reglan too, by the way, with no effect...
- Xty
July 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Veteran
XTY~

I will defiantely see if she can put him on Prevacid. He's on two meds...Reglan and Zantac and it seems like we are constantly giving him medicine. I know at my work we prescribe alot of the Prevacid so I will check it out! Thankyou!!

Also do you ladies know if any of this medicine could be upsetting to tummies? I was told to give the meds during feedings, which I do but my son seems to struggle alot with gas and constipation....just wondering if there is a link to the meds. I havent heard of it affecting tummies too much but not too sure.

July 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Super Mommy
Reglan is used to make either the stomach or intestines (I forget which right now) move faster - to push the food through faster. We tried it as we thought our DD's stomach wasn't emptying fast enough - she'd throw up an entire bottle hours after drinking it. It didn't help her and it tasted nasty so the GI doc had us stop it. (Side note - you can get liquid meds flavored for just a few dollars more - we got the Reglan bananna flavored). So since it acts on the stomach I'd say its possible it could cause tummy issues. Though you'd think it would cause diarhea and not constipation, but I don't know.
Zantac seemed to cause gassiness - so did prilosec and prevacid - she'd give a huge burp about 30 mins after taking it.
- Xty

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search