New Here

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! I figured I'd stop lurking and just say hi! I'm Christine, mom to Grant and Dean. Grant's almost 3 and Dean is 11 weeks. Grant was born at 34w5d and had reflux pretty bad. At 2 mo, we put him on prevacid and he was a completely different baby. Before the prevacid, he would projectile vomit and scream before, during and after eating. I was very naive this time around and thought a full term baby meant that I'd avoid the reflux! NOT!!! Dean was diagnosed at 6 weeks, but he's a slient refluxer - he hardly ever spits up. He was put on Prevacid at 6 weeks and got much better after about 10 days on the medication. He's on 15mg once a day. It seems like in the past week, the reflux symptoms have come back again and have gotten worse. He's started spitting up some, which he never did - to the point that I usually feed him without a burp cloth around because I never needed it. If he lays flat to sleep, he wakes up congested and after he feeds sometimes, he acts like he's choking - are those signs of the reflux? He hadn't been doing that for a few weeks and then started up again. Should I talk to his doc about upping the dosage or adding another med?

I feel like I should know more since this is my second, but each refluxer can be so different!

I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

November 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
Welcome. I am Missi
Sabrina was born at 34.5wks and she has no reflux. My 2nd daughter Crystal was born at 32.3wks and she has horrid reflux even at 21m she is still on 4 meds for it. Now I am pregnant with Calliegh, our 3rd daughter and GOOD GOD PLEASE PLEASE spare me another refluxer when I still have one

The meds have to be upped with weight. So if he has gone thru a growth spurt, they may need to adjsut it. I want to say Crystal was on 25mg of Prevacid but we had packets. If i still had one I would show what it was, it was the greatest for that age. Strawberry flavored and she loved it. Worked good too

The choking and congested is a sign of reflux. My daughter just had her adneoids removed and tubes placed because of the fluid reflux provides for them, so to speak. Its gross to see how much fluid drains from her ears but oh well she can hear again LOL

I would see about his weight go from there if he needs a different med or higher dose or another. We have had the best luck with nexium so i am partial to it now. LOL
Good luck and welcome

November 24th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Veteran
Hello Christine! Welcome to the board.
It definately sounds like Dean has silent reflux....my son was diagnosed with the same thing at 8 weeks of age - we found out because he was choking and actually stopped breathing. I have to say it is the scariest thing, and after that incident I have been very paranoid.

Noah is on Prevacid as well - at first he did awsome on it, pretty much how you said Dean was doing, then all of a sudden he got really bad again. We took him to his G.I and they put him on Reglan 4 times a day along with the Prevacid. He is doing so well now. Maybe Dean needs Reglan as well? I know Reglan helps empty the stomach faster, therefore reducing acid and milk staying too long in the stomach to where it can cause spit up or burning.

Does Dean sleep well at night? This has always been an issue for us with Noah and I think alot of it has to do with the fact that he gets quite uncomfortable. What Formula is Dean on? Or are you BF?

November 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the responses. I am BF, and I notice that if I have more than one diet coke a day, Dean gets miserable at night - so I've switched to caffeine free!

Usually Dean sleeps pretty well at night. His usual routine is sleeps from about 6 or 7- 1 or 2, and then wakes up, eats and goes back to sleep for another 2-3 hours, and then he gets up to eat about ever 1.5 hrs. That being said, if the reflux is bad, this all goes out the window and we're up ever 1.5 hours all night long, plus it takes him about 2 hours to fall asleep.

I wonder about the Reglan. I've never heard of it, but I haven't done that much research yet. I defaulted to prevacid since it worked wonders for Grant.

I have been giving him a probiotic too, to help with gas and thrush and I really think that made a HUGE difference. No painful farts for 1.5 days after the first dose. We have not taken him to a GI, but that's probably the next step. Our ped is a good friend and DH is an MD, so our ped usually does whatever we want him to do.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

November 24th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Veteran
I would do alittle research on Reglan and consult. your pedi or a G.I about whats going on. With Noah it was a constant battle of back and forth - good days and bad...and dont get me wrong he still has good and bad days. I know that it is normal for a baby to spit up and that no meds can stop spitting up - but I'm more for meds that make him feel comfortable and pain-free. So since he has begun the Prevacid and the Reglan he has done wonderful.

Have you tried pumping and adding alittle bit of rice or oatmeal to thicken the milk up? thats what we ad to do for Noah - but we gave him oatmeal in his milk because rice makes him constipated at times. I was never able to BF Noah because he was born with a cleft palate so I resorted to pmping rather than doing formula - it has been a hard 5 months and then my milk dried uo and i started giving Noah Enfamil A.R which constipates him every now and again, but he is happy on most days and his reflux is pretty much under control. I cant ask for more.

I would though see a G.I for Dean - anything as far as advice, wisdom and understanding helps you know?

November 24th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
Hey!
1 note to add to PP. Thickening breastmilk can be tricky because there is a natural enzyme in BM that breaks down the cereal. So if you do pump and try to thicken it, pump fresh and immediately mix and feed

Also research Reglan. Its a very hard drug neurologically. Even thou my daughter is on it, I was very reluctant early on because of the side effects that are common. We worked with the GI to adjust the levels, like most weeks she only has it every 2 days. There are days when I can tell that she is constipated which backs everything up I have to do the normal daily dose until "success" so to speak.

I was on reglan for vomitting in the beginning of this pregnancy and its nasty. It knocked me on my rear end, 10mg and I am 28yr old LOL

Good luck and welcome
December 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
domesticdivaof4's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Hi ladies! I figured I'd stop lurking and just say hi! I'm Christine, mom to Grant and Dean. Grant's almost 3 and Dean is 11 weeks. Grant was born at 34w5d and had reflux pretty bad. At 2 mo, we put him on prevacid and he was a completely different baby. Before the prevacid, he would projectile vomit and scream before, during and after eating. I was very naive this time around and thought a full term baby meant that I'd avoid the reflux! NOT!!! Dean was diagnosed at 6 weeks, but he's a slient refluxer - he hardly ever spits up. He was put on Prevacid at 6 weeks and got much better after about 10 days on the medication. He's on 15mg once a day. It seems like in the past week, the reflux symptoms have come back again and have gotten worse. He's started spitting up some, which he never did - to the point that I usually feed him without a burp cloth around because I never needed it. If he lays flat to sleep, he wakes up congested and after he feeds sometimes, he acts like he's choking - are those signs of the reflux? He hadn't been doing that for a few weeks and then started up again. Should I talk to his doc about upping the dosage or adding another med?

I feel like I should know more since this is my second, but each refluxer can be so different!

I look forward to getting to know y'all.[/b]
Hi There! I just want to share my blog with you as I have a 4 month old who also had relfux to the point that we were giving her Zantac, Nutramigen (thickening it with rice cereal and "thick it") and doing all of the other things that were suggested but nothing helped. She did the projectile spitting up as well as just spitting up everything. It was awful! She was crabby and hurting and I was crabby too just trying to make her happy and content along with trying to take care of my other 3 kids and do everything else.

Well, it has been 7 weeks since we started taking her to a chiropractor and she is a completely different baby...no reflux symptoms at all and she is no longer on medication or Nutramigen. I also give her probiotics which have helped almost completely stop her spit up. She spits up very little now if at all. She is happy and content and it's just a miracle. I thought I'd share because this might be something you want to check into. It's completely safe and doesn't involve any pain or massage or anything like that. Also, I saw a Mom who stated that one of her children who suffered from reflux later on had ear problems. Had we not gotten these treatments for Maddie, the doctor said she would have ended up with chronic ear infections as well. Interesting! Just thought I'd share... I hope you find something that works. Good luck!

http://lovethelifeyoulive-onehotmama.blogspot.com/

~Michelle

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search