wanting to wean off of Reglan

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Veteran
So Noah has been on the Reglan now for about 3 months. He gets it 4 times a day. Later on I found out some side affects and long term damage that the Reglan COULD cause. It worried me alot. I consulted Noah's Pediatrician and she assured me that if any of these affects were going to happen they would have already happened in the 1st month. I felt better about it for awhile until I read it sould do long term damage over time. I want to start weaning him off, but the Reglan does help him. Yesturday I tried to only give him 3 doses instead of 4 and it was a disaster. He was spitting up alot. He still gets his Prevacid but that seemed like it didnt even help.

We have our good and bad days, but right now I find myself in a pickle. I'm going to take Noah to see the G.I sometime this month (its hard to get into see him) and go from there. I know the G.I. talked about taking him off of meds completely to see how he does within a few months...so we'll see. I kinda just wanted to vent and see if anyone else has weaned their LO off of the Reglan and what the results have been.

December 29th, 2008, 10:10 AM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
I was WORRIED SICK about having my son on Reglan, for the same reasons you are worried. Our Ped reassured us that the side effects are ONLY if they are on the meds for VERY LONG TERM. Honestly, with the amount of pain he was in on a daily basis, I'd rather take the very small risk of the side effects than to see him in such pain.

We weaned him from the Reglan VERY slowly (and we waited until that 1 year mark!) If he isn't doing well with just taking away one dose, imagine how he'd be without the Reglan at all.

We are now 100% medicine free, and our son is FINE. We have NO weird side effects from the Reglan. He is a happy and healthy 14 month old!

Good luck! Please, please, PLEASE trust your Ped. If you have faith in the DR, you should trust that he/she wouldn't put your son in harms way!

December 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Veteran
Thankyou so much for your kind words and encouragement. I have come to the conclusion that i would much rather not see him in pain - I still do worry about any long term damage it could cause down the road, but I am going to trust the docs and continue on the meds for as long as we need to. Thanks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search