Hi ladies... Im new!

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Patsy
Hello everyone! Boy am I glad I found this thread! DD (Brooklyn) was diagnosed with GERD this past Monday. She's 5 weeks old! I knew she had it from day one! I was born with GERD so I guess I passed it on to her (poor baby)! I really dont know too much about it but Ive turned to my mom for ALOT of support! I mean, She got me through it!

So, heres whats been going on so far.... After we cam home from the Hospital (11-27-08) 2 days after she was born, I started her on Enfamil Lipil with Iron and Breast milk (I was pumping like crazy because she wasent intersted in taking the boob). Id feed her 2oz breast milk whenever she was hungry and if she wanted more than 2oz id give her another 2oz bottle with formula in it (shed usually eat 1oz of that). I notice shed spit up at least 1-2 oz up within 45 minutes after feeding her.

at 2 weeks old, I dryed up so she went to strictly formula and was eating 3-4 oz and shed spit up 2-3 oz. Thats when she started choking on it and it would come out her nose and she would literally stop breathing until I was able to clear her nose of it! Im not talking just spit up either! Im talking it was thick and mucusy and slimy! No clue what the heck was up with that!

at a month old, i finally made her another Dr appt due the the spitting up and chokeing! He switched her formula to Enfamil A.R and told me to see how that does and come back in 2 weeks! He also said when she has her 2 month check-up we'll talk about possibly giving her Zantac... Well, why the heck couldnt he give her some meds when I was there the first time?!?!?! So, we started the new Formula 12-29 and she seemed to be doing pretty good tyhe first 24 hours! she didnt spit up or choke or stop breathing! I thought i was done with it! Nope, 12-31 it started all over again, but not as bad... she eats a 4oz bottle and she'll spit up maybe an oz but its really curdley! kinda like sour milk?! and after I feed her she SCREAM bloody murder for awhile then she seems to calm down and fall asleep?!?! WTH!!!

Ive also noticed right before she seems to not be avle to breathe... she might cough up or burp up a clear fluid?????? No clue what it is but what ever it is seems to be making her do it?!?!?!? Yesterday DH and I went out and bought new Bottles, The Playtex VentAire advance thinking maybe that will help a little....Im not thinking it is because shes still spiiting up "sour milk" and seems to have the worst belly ache in the world!!! ive also changed her paci from the hospital ones tp gerber ones that are supposed to help colic!!! So now im at a total loss! I mean shes slept in her carseat since day one so that she wont choke if she spits up at night!!!

so, here I am, looking for answeres and somebody to talk to who knows what im going through!

January 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
petalstarlace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
and after I feed her she SCREAM bloody murder for awhile then she seems to calm down and fall asleep?!?! WTH!!![/b]
This is exactly what Gabe does. I have NO IDEA what that is all about but it sure is nice to know that someone else is experiencing it. I am so sorry your baby has reflux

I have been through just about every formula on the shelf so I have no solution as far as formula goes Your baby would probably benefit greatly from some Zantac/Axid. That might help you with the screaming. My baby is on Axid.

January 3rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Brooklyns started to scream when I try to burp her 3 days ago! Is she really in that much pain do you think??

I know this sound horrible but I actually found that If I dont burp her, she dont spit up hardly and she dont cry?!?! I know it cant be good for her, ive only done it twice!

January 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
petalstarlace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I notice the same thing with Gabe if I don't burp him...but he will reflux later and a LOT will come up so I don't know how good that is for him either. I just burp him and deal with the spitup. Gabe would downright scream while burping until we got on the Axid. It REALLY helped, so yeah they must be in pain. Have you ever had heart burn or indigestion? Imagine that, in your throat, and then trying to burp! Yeah she probably does hurt poor girl

January 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Veteran
Noah was the same exact way. It was very crucial for us to burp him after every ounce...no joke. Brooklynn does need some medicine. Babies cry out like that because they are in pain. I dont know if either of you have experienced acid reflux, but thats basically what reflux is for babies as well. It's burning and hurting their tummy. It's awful to think you baby is in pain like that and uncomfortable.

Do your LO's sleep in their bed/basinet/crib? I know with Noah we had to keep him elevated always and he slept in his car seat for the first 5 months of his life. This helped alot. Patsy, you especially might want to put Brooklynn in the car seat for sleeping. I say this because Noah had the same exact "choking episodes" that you describe Brooklynn having. I actually had to almost start the Hymlic and CPR on my son when he was 2 mos old. Something else we were advised to do was to keep Noah sitting up while feeding him and keep him elevated for at least 30minutes after a bottle. This helped alot. Very rarely could we ever lay Noah flat on his back - to this day his mattress is elevated.

Patsy, When you describe the formula coming up as "curdled like" I would say thats because of the Enfamil AR. It's really thick and as the digestion process starts it starts to get thick...so she's is probably spitting it up in chunks because thats what Enfamil AR is made to be...thicker than most formulas. Noah is on Enfamil AR now. He also uses the Ventaire bottles and Dr. Browns which has helped alot - he has and had alot of gas so we usually add 0.8 of Mylecon gas drops to every other bottle. Reflux babies suffer with bad gas as well.

I hope I helped a bit....once the right meds are given it will make the world of difference. But elevating and burping are also key too.

January 4th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I notice the same thing with Gabe if I don't burp him...but he will reflux later and a LOT will come up so I don't know how good that is for him either. I just burp him and deal with the spitup. Gabe would downright scream while burping until we got on the Axid. It REALLY helped, so yeah they must be in pain. Have you ever had heart burn or indigestion? Imagine that, in your throat, and then trying to burp! Yeah she probably does hurt poor girl [/b]

I was born with GERD and now that im older its turned into really bad Acid reflux so i CANT imagine our babies going thru that! Okay so me not Burping Brooklyn went horrible! She got gas SOOOOOOO bad all she did was cry and scream and then she refused to eat! So at 6pm last night I got her to take a 4oz bottle and I burped her while she screamed and clawed at me and a HUGE burp came out and she stopped crying and was just a tiny bit fussy! =) Like a drinking beer all night burp lol!! plus she sat and tooted on me for 35 minutes! So Note to self, BURP THE POOR THING! lol

January 4th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Noah was the same exact way. It was very crucial for us to burp him after every ounce...no joke. Brooklynn does need some medicine. Babies cry out like that because they are in pain. I dont know if either of you have experienced acid reflux, but thats basically what reflux is for babies as well. It's burning and hurting their tummy. It's awful to think you baby is in pain like that and uncomfortable.

Do your LO's sleep in their bed/basinet/crib? I know with Noah we had to keep him elevated always and he slept in his car seat for the first 5 months of his life. This helped alot. Patsy, you especially might want to put Brooklynn in the car seat for sleeping. I say this because Noah had the same exact "choking episodes" that you describe Brooklynn having. I actually had to almost start the Hymlic and CPR on my son when he was 2 mos old. Something else we were advised to do was to keep Noah sitting up while feeding him and keep him elevated for at least 30minutes after a bottle. This helped alot. Very rarely could we ever lay Noah flat on his back - to this day his mattress is elevated.

Patsy, When you describe the formula coming up as "curdled like" I would say thats because of the Enfamil AR. It's really thick and as the digestion process starts it starts to get thick...so she's is probably spitting it up in chunks because thats what Enfamil AR is made to be...thicker than most formulas. Noah is on Enfamil AR now. He also uses the Ventaire bottles and Dr. Browns which has helped alot - he has and had alot of gas so we usually add 0.8 of Mylecon gas drops to every other bottle. Reflux babies suffer with bad gas as well.

I hope I helped a bit....once the right meds are given it will make the world of difference. But elevating and burping are also key too.[/b]

I wont let her sleep anywhere but her carseat for that exact fact of the choking!!! The worst its ever gottin is when i fed her and layed her down to be changed and she spit up like a few drops of a clear fluid and all the sudden she couldnt breath and I litterally had her upside down before she gasped for air! Ive never been so terrifyed in my life!!! I keep her in her car seat or viberating bouncy for at LEAST 45 minutes after she eats!
When you say you added the Mylecon drops to his bottle, you mean you can add it to their formula?? I didnt know that! that would make it SOOO much easier to give it to her cuz she usually spits it out!

Yes thanks for all the advise, and I can not wait till we start meds at the end of the month! And I learned My lesson from not burping her after she eats! I just was trying new things with her thats all!

January 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Veteran
Patsy,

I know you mentioned that Brooklynn gets the Enfamil AR - well i dont know about you but I always have a problem of having alot of foam. I've noticed that after i make his bottle, if I add a few drops of the mylecon frops that is makes the foam go away....works like a charm.

January 15th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
Gripe water is the best for gas, it works 100 times better then mycolin drops but it is more expensive, unless your in Canada then its 4.99 (CA) for a huge bottle. I make my BFF bring it to me LOL

The car seat unless you have a special prop the GI will tell you is the worse place for a infant with reflux/gerd. The seats are designed where they sink and the belly gets squished thus pushing the formula or food up, causing more spit up.

You should try to keep baby upright 30m after a feed but with Crystal we had to literally do it 2 hours after a feed. We would let her sleep in the swing 99% of the time or on her stomach.
I am not a advocate for going against the AAP recommendation of back sleep but let me tell you, crystal slept 100% better on her tummy and I knew if she vomited it was going else where they possibly back down her lungs. After 2 trips to the ER for aspriation i came to the conclusion her sleeping on her tummy out was the way I was going.

Meds should be given 30m before a feed on a empty stomach.

I lost my thoughts sorry..... i am so tired I can't think LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search