New here

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
petalstarlace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My name is Ashley, Hi I'd like to join your board!

My baby is a month and a half old. We have been through the ringer.

The first week was great. Gabe took Similac Early Shield well, if not slowly at first. We had to coax him to eat but he caught on. Then three days after we get home from the hospital, the spitting up started.
Then the screaming during feeding started.
So to the Dr. we went. Many many mannnnnnny times. Those first couple of weeks are just a blur of formulas and Dr's appts. He was tested for Pyloric Stenosis, it was negative, so the Dr. diagnosed him with GERD.

We tried
Similac Early Shield (excessive spitting up)
Good Start DHA/ARA (excessive spitting up)
Similac Isomil (soy) (then he developed colic, pediatrician took him off of it because he "doesnt believe in" soy)
Nutramigen (to manage the colic, ended up making his spit up worse than it had ever been and he actually lost a LOT of weight while on it which didn't happen during any other formula)
Alimentum (excessive, TERRIBLE gas poor thing stays in a wimpering ball the whole time he is on this stuff and he was colic -on the colic preventing formula...go figure-)
Enfamil A.R. (colic was heinous on this, too much for his stomach, it only took one bottle of this stuff to swear me off of it for good)
Good Start Supreme with no DHA/ARA (colic)

Somewhere in the midst of all this he started only pooping every three days.

He was on Zantac .3 ml a day...then that stopped working, upped it to .5 ml a day...then that stopped working so they put him on Axid and now he is on that 2 times a day at .5ml and they refuse to up the dose anymore. After repeatedly going in (literally every other day) to the Dr's office with problems (choking, choking in his sleep, vomiting entire bottles, screaming while burping/feeding) they finally referred us to a Ped GI and our appointment isn't until the 12th.
We are on Alimentum right now, suffering, because we don't know what else to do. I don't know what else to try. I am counting down the days until the appointment.

Nice to meet you

January 3rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Patsy
Ashley, We'll get through this togather Im in the same boat as you but its nice to know that Gabe and Brooklyn are only 3 days apart and we can learn from eachother, or should I say Eachothers babies

Have you tryed switching Bottles or Pacis?? I switched Brooklyns Bottles 2 days ago from the Cheap Parents choice bottles to the Playtex VentAire Advance, I havent seen much of a difference but I do notice that she seems to sleep better?! Ive also switched her Pacis from the Green ones you get in the hospital, to the Gerber Pacis, the nipple is a bit bigger and has a goofy shape to it but man do they help with the Screaming fits!

January 3rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
petalstarlace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I havn't tried switching Paci's but I AM using Dr. Brown's bottles. I think they make a slight difference in the colic honestly. Nothing major though. I was using drop-ins before that.

January 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Veteran
Ashley,

Welcome to the board! First off I can realte to your stress and the troubles you have been having and what little Gabe has been going through. My son is 7 mos now and was dx with reflux/gerd at 2mos old. We found out through a freak accident - he started choking and stopped breathing. They did Sleep Apnia testing after the episode (which happened 3 times that same day) and it came out normal.

He's been on Zantac (only worked for like a week), Reglan (didnt help at all, made him more hungry) and finally Prevacid. Now he is on Prevacid 2 times a day and Reglan 4 times a day. Ever sicne then he has been a trooper. The Reglan helps alot because it helps empty the stomach faster, therefore preventing formula from staying in the stomach for too long, therefore causing spit up. His reflux acts up off and on but he is teething right now and reflux gets bad again around teething time.

When you were describing how Gabe chokes alot it brought me back to that incident Noah had. Have you brought up possible sleep apnea? Somewhere along the line Sleep Apnea and Reflux can be related. You may want to bring it up when you see the GI. By the way, I cant believe the GI cant get you guys in sooner, especially since Gabe is so little.

Hearing the Yo-Yo formula routine is frustrating for me, so I can only imagine how much hell it has been for you guys. I read the long list of what you guys have tried and havent tried. Has Gabe's Pediatrician suggested Enfamil Gentlease? It's for colic and stomach issues. Noah never tried that kind because he did so well with the Enfamil AR, but he was also BF for 5 months. Um....oh, and sometimes babies have such horrible reflux to the point where the only formula they can tolerate is Neocate. This stuff is expensive and I think you can only get it from a pharmacy - it's very hard to find. I work in a Pediatrics office as a nurse and we get samples of every formula there is except the Neocate...it's very hard to come by.

So is Gabe doing good on the Axid?? If not you might want to bring up Prevacid to the GI. Oh, and try to stress the issues....I found that Noahs GI didnt really help much or do anything to help until I said, "Look my son isnt thriving, sleeping or eating. We'v tried tons of crap and havent gotten anywhere. If he was your son what would you do?" and things got done...needless to say.

I keep rambling...ugh. Anyways keep us posted on Gabe and welcome to the board. Look forward to talking with you!

Sincerely, Jess

January 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
itsmemaggi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
Hi, Ashley!

I second trying the GentleEase... Jenna did wonderfully on that. Until she got reflux, of course. But her new formula isn't helping much, so we may be going back to that, anyway.

I hope things go well with the GI. Definitely bring up the Prevacid; it's pretty safe to give even the littlest babies. Also, he may be checked for MSPI, and if that's the case, Neutramigen, Alimentum, or as Jess mentioned, Neocate may be your best bet. Does he have any rashes, or mucus or blood in his stool? That's usually a sure sign of an allergy, which can cause reflux.

We too are using Dr. Brown's. And Jenna prefers the NAM pacis. The only way she'll sleep is if she starts off sucking on one of those babies.

xoxo
Maggi

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!

January 15th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
Hello and welcome. Sorry it took me to say hi but baby hospital 2 at home i have little time to think LOL

Crystal was born 8 wks early and we have been thru the ringer with her GERD. She was diagnosed early but still went thru 100 tests, endoscopes, UGI, Scanti scans, ph probes etc. She finally had tubes placed and adenoids removed because the GERD caused chronic fluid in the ears which basically made her hard of hearing and now thats better.
She is 22m and its still a daily struggle.

She has gastroparesis on top of it, which is slow gastric dumping and was on reglan but now is old enough to take just Miralax which thank god I hated the side effects.

We went thru zantac, axid, prevacid, protonix, pepcid until getting the combination of Axid and nexium to work well enough she can tolerate life and we can tolerate her She just learned to sleep the night at 15.16months which was around the tubes and the switch to the 2 new meds. We did a clincal trail for nexium and thank god we did.

i rememeber waiting 2 - 3 weeks with Crystal to get into the GI it sucked but after was so much testing and getting things going it was worth the wait.

Be proactive read up on GERD, the research, the meds etc. Ask for testing to see where it is, how far up etc. We all hate seeing our kids suffer and the tests aren't as bad as not knowing.

I exclusively pumped so no help on formula. I know nothing about formula.
Good luck and the frustrations, tears, and tiredness are so normal. They so will pass but it sucks until you get there. My mom would come home to me crying the baby crying and it was a mess. My 4 yr old thought i was losing it lOL
February 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM
tristansmom08's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to tristansmom08 Send a message via Yahoo to tristansmom08
Well.. sounds like you got your hands full. My 4 month old has colic as well. We have been using the A.R lipil.. some people say hell no others think it's a god send.. What you really need to do .. is ask your doctor about prevacid! Zantec didn't work for Tristan either.. Prevacid was like day and night.. it was wonderful! Hang in there...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search