Thickening?

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Patsy
Has anyone tryed Thickening a thickened formula??? Im thinking about trying to Thicken Enfamil A.R Yes its thicker than regular formula but shes shes still spitting it up..

Should I try oatmeal or rice??

January 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
petalstarlace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would be afraid of constipation...plus, I have read it's not good to thicken just yet, but I am no expert on it. I think they need to be able to sit up with little assistance first before cereals...but you might want to get an opinion from someone a little more educated on it

January 3rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Veteran
We had to thicken Noah's formula at the age of 2 months. We started thickening it with Rice Cereal but he got quite constipated so we were advised to use either the gerber Barley or Oatmeal, which is more gentler on their tummy and more easy to digest. We used the thickening method when Noah was 2 months old. We added 1/2 tsp for every ounce. He did good. Now that he is 7mos and on the Enfamil AR we do not need to add any more oatmeal - he does just fine with the formula as is. Good Luck!

January 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, im not sure I need to think about thickening her faormula anymore. Shes doing Great on the Enfamil A.R since later on yesterday evening! So maybe she was just having an off couple of days! I REALLY dont want to thicken her already thickened formula!!!

Quote:
I would be afraid of constipation...plus, I have read it's not good to thicken just yet, but I am no expert on it. I think they need to be able to sit up with little assistance first before cereals...but you might want to get an opinion from someone a little more educated on it [/b]

When she got Switched to the A.R she got REALLY constipated so I can only imagine if I had to thicken the formula even more! Before I even think about thickening it, im going to try a Diff. Formula!

January 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
itsmemaggi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
I've got Jenna on Similac Sensitive R.S. It only comes in the pre-made bottles, so it's expensive, but I worried about the Enfamil A.R. powder clumping (plus, her pediatrician gave us two free bottles). So far she's not having any issues with it as far as constipation goes. But her acid problems are still there. She's got a more silent thing going on right now (minimal spit up prior to putting her on the new formula, but she's definitely refluxing, just swallowing it before it can come completely up), so maybe that has something to do with it.

If we end up putting her back on Enfamil GentleEase (which is what she'd been on since she was 3 days old), I may try thickening it with some rice cereal. Someone told me about a teaspoon per ounce is good.

xoxo
Maggi

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!

January 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I've got Jenna on Similac Sensitive R.S. It only comes in the pre-made bottles, so it's expensive, but I worried about the Enfamil A.R. powder clumping (plus, her pediatrician gave us two free bottles). So far she's not having any issues with it as far as constipation goes. But her acid problems are still there. She's got a more silent thing going on right now (minimal spit up prior to putting her on the new formula, but she's definitely refluxing, just swallowing it before it can come completely up), so maybe that has something to do with it.

If we end up putting her back on Enfamil GentleEase (which is what she'd been on since she was 3 days old), I may try thickening it with some rice cereal. Someone told me about a teaspoon per ounce is good.

xoxo
Maggi[/b]

Im NOT likeing the A.R! I mean it seems to be Slightly working for Brooklyn but its a pain in the butt to feed her because it does clump real bad! Im not sure what I should try as far as trying a different formula, I was thinking about the Enfamil GentleEase??

Brooklyn is still spitting up the A.R but it seems to get stuck on its way up and makes her choke Possibly due to the clumps.

About you thickening your Formula, I heard its a Tablespoon per ounce?? Im not sure lol

January 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Super Mommy
We thicken 1 tsp per ounce. Have since he was 2 months old per doctor's suggestion. We use Dr. Brown's bottles and if I thicken any more than that, the valve part gets clogged.

January 9th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Heidiree's Avatar Super Mommy
Thickening has never worked for my son... *shrugs* he spits that up just as easy as just plain formula! Same with some solids... right back up they come :/

January 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
We tried thicken it with Rice cereal but exclusively pumping the BM would break down the Rice quicker then Crystal could eat. It was per the GI doc.

February 6th, 2009, 04:36 PM
tristansmom08's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to tristansmom08 Send a message via Yahoo to tristansmom08
My LO is on Lipil A.R also. He's 4 months and we started him on cereal around 3 months old. My doctor recommended it and told me to put no more than 3 tablespoons in a 6 oz bottle. He also said to use rice and not oatmeal.. atleast till he's 6 months old. You should not worry about constipation... My LO was only pooping once a day, now he's pooping after every bottle.

February 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
We do a tablespoon for every 2 oz per dr. recommendations. It has helped tremendously but Luke had silent reflux & we only found out because he has laryngomalacia.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

March 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
momoftwinsand1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my last daughter was on AR, I found that if I made it by the pitcher and it had time to sit it was much easier to use.
John Allen 4-4-06, VBAC 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
Paige Belle 5-21-07, VBAC 5 pounds 9 ounces 17 inches
Ava Marie 2-28-09, VBAC 5 pounds 10 ounces,16 1/2 inches
Jackson Douglas 2-13-13, VBAC 6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search