Intro from a newbie

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Hi! Brayden has recently been diagnosed with reflux so I thought I'd come in to read and introduce us. He was born 12-8 and I knew right off the bat that something was wrong, but family and doctors kept telling me I was overreacting (he's my first so I can't possibly know what I'm talking about right ). A couple of weeks later, after he'd been puking up BM, Similac Advance, and Enfamil lipil (not to mention the back arching and constant need to eat and have something on his stomach) we tried him on Enfamil A.R. since his pediatrician suggested it. It was bad! It made him constipated and was so thick that getting 2 oz to him took an hour, even with larger nipples, no matter how I tried to mix it. All the while his pediatrician is telling me that his behavior is normal and that he can't really have reflux because he'll outgrow this stage and he's still gaining weight. I doubted my instincts again and gave it more time until I realized that the usual changes (upright feeding/sleeping, etc) weren't making a difference.

Fast forward to last week. We've had him on Enfamil Gentlease for a while, which is the best for him so far, and I still BF at night. I switched him to a different pedi who last week advised me to thicken his formula, 1 tsp of rice to every oz of formula. It does help him keep it down initially but he still has crying and spitting in the hours between feedings. So I took him back in today and the doctor put him on Zantac twice a day. I hope this is all he needs to help him instead of going further down the road it seems that some of you have. I'm optimistic because his weight gain hasn't been affected and he has good bowel movements.

Sorry for the book but that's where we are so far! I look forward to learning from you ladies who have been there!

February 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Veteran
Welcome! Sounds like a repeat episode of what we went through in the begining. Does Braydon experience any constipation with you thickening his formula? Noah did have severe constipation so we thickened with Oatmeal or Barley, which is gentler on tummy and digestion. The Zantac is the first thing he was put on after diagnosis - he did great on it for the first month and then it was like someone flipped a switch and it was all down hill from there. I do believe that some babies do great on Zantac, but I also know through research and discussion with other mom's(and personal experience) that the Zantac will only work as a temporary fix until something else is prescribed. If Brayden is doing well with the Zantac and the thickening then that is good news.

If the Gentlease for whatever reason ends up giving him problems (spit-up, colic...ect.) you could look into Similac Alimentum - which is just as expensive as Gentlease. I know that Gentlease, Enfamil A.R and Allimentum are the most used for babies with Reflux/Gerd. Hope he's doing ok and keep us posted, and again welcome to the board.

February 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM
tristansmom08's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to tristansmom08 Send a message via Yahoo to tristansmom08
Welcome.
Sounds just like little Tristan, except the A.R was a godsend. He had a really hard gaining weight though, he was at about 10 lbs at 3 months which was not good. Ever since the doctor put him on Prevacid he's been the best baby anyone could ask for, he still spits up but he's not in pain which is all I care about. I hope that everything gets undercontrol. Usually once you get it figured out it's easy to control. My family and doctors treated me the same way and kept saying
" no he's fine he's just a spitter"
Crazy people!!
anyways, welcome to our family!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search