New to and confused about GER

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Allybug007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Allybug007 Send a message via Yahoo to Allybug007
My 16 month old Alayna was recently diagnosed with GER after about a week of late night vomiting(it also happened two other times BEFORE bed-once right after eating a small amount dinner and another time around lunch after drinking a lot of milk). I had also been sick with the stomach bug twice around the time this was happening. The doctor based the diagnosis solely on the symptoms I described and when they were happening. He prescribed liquid Zantac and a cough medicine since she would cough, then throw up.

We never experienced reflux in children in our family before, so when my sister saw Ally throw up 15 minutes after simply nibbling on some food she urged me to take her to the ER. I was scared and had no idea what this was all about, so we went. The ER doctor said since I had recently been sick, she could've easily gotten the stomach bug from me but they were going to go with the reflux diagnosis that the pediatrician made. They gave us some enfalyte, a prescription for prevacid capsules(after explaining the difficulties we were having with the liquid), and told us we were welcomed to bring her back if she wasn't better by Sunday and then they would do some testing. She was pretty well by Sunday, just still in a bit of a bad mood. She just wanted to drink water/gatorade and nibble on easily chewable foods.

We started the prevacid capsules Sunday after trying to force the Zantac and cough suppressant on her. She won't even drink them in a sippy. She can taste it, so DH started the Prevacid Sunday by putting it in some oatmeal. She has eaten it every day since then.

I guess my main question here is... With GER, do they have relapses WHILE on the medicine or does the medicine pretty much take care of the GER until a higher dose is needed?

I'm just worried that we're treating her for GER when she could've just had the stomach bug. What would you do? TIA for any responses and I apologize for typing so much!!
February 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
itsmemaggi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
Hi,

I'm so sorry you and your daughter are going through this. First off, I will say that Prevacid is now thought of to be the more effective drug for kids with acid reflux/GERD. Second, it takes up to 2 weeks for it to really work. Third, it's very hard to overdose on it, but it's often underdosed. Fourth, I hate to say it, but you're giving it to her wrong. She cannot have a meal with it. It needs to be given on an empty stomach (in your case with the capsules, sprinkle the contents on a bite of something acidic, like applesauce, but only a bite). After that you must wait 20-60 minutes before feeding her. The wait is so the Prevacid has time to work its way into her sytem... I could go into it further but it's not necessary, that's just how Prevacid or any PPI works.

Whew. With all that said, it doesn' sound to me like she necessarily has acid reflux. In my experience, it's rare that it would show up so late. GERD is often associated with an immature lower esopageal sphincter, which is why it's more prevalent in infants, who spit up. Symptoms are but are not limited to: extreme discomfort when horizontal/lying down, spitting up and screaming in pain afterwards, spit-up that smells like acid (for us she spit up clear stomach acid and we knew we had a problem), congestion, and choking. But it sounds to me like your girl has more of a stomach bug or a food allergy. Have you recently introduced anything new into her diet?

Hope I helped a bit; please feel free to contact me with any more questions. We've been dealing with GERD for 2 months now and it's a very tough battle.

xoxo
Maggi

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!

March 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Veteran
Answer to your question....yes it is possible that a child can have a relapse while on the meds for reflux. Most of the meds do not stop a child from spitting up - when they do is reuce the aci in the spit up, therefore making it more comfortable when he child spits up.....most children will out grow reflux. I believe this is the stage we are at now with my son and he is almost 10 mos old.

My son is also on the prevacid and once he was on this we saw a happier baby and even less spit up - although Noah has adapted to the spit up and when he does spt up he usually swallows it...whereas before he would spit it out and it would be a huge mess.

How is your daughter doing on the Prevacid? Noah was given Zantac as the 1st med. I tasted it and it was awful, so to get him to drink it we would have to give him a little at a time and then hurry and place the bottle in his mouth to wash it down....this went on for a month before we realized it wasnt helping at all. Does your son spit up alot? Or is he more quiet when he spits up? I ask because I am wondering if she had silent reflux....there is a bit of a difference. Keep me posted.

Oh, by the way, what formula is your daughter on?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search