I'm so confused, long, but need input

Forum: GER- Reflux

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Background: our older son, Sam, was a projectile vomiter for several months, bordered on failure to thrive as far as weight, had a barium swallow at 8 months that showed "no reflux" to which I said BALONEY since whenever he threw up or spit up, I could smell the acid so bad it would set MY reflux off. We tried Zantac for one week and it made things worse.....went from 1 bottle every other day coming back up to 1-3 bottles every day coming back up. (we wound up on Gentlease for a while, then cow's milk and we're now on Lactaid)

I have NO clue on what normal spit up is because Sam never did it.

Fast forward 3 years....we now have Henry. Henry is really congested all the time and despite saline drops and suctioning, he remains so. He doesn't really spit up, but he's been having gasping/choking/apnea episodes since birth.

Pedi had me start him on Zantax. I asked if he thought it would make it worse again, like with Sam, but he said no since Henry doesn't have Sam's issues.

So I got a partial dose in him last night and it was "okay". He spit up just a little. This morning I go to give him another dose (he gets 1 ml twice a day) and within a few minutes, he spits up three times. Not teeny quantities and not throwing up, but enough for me ot have to change my shirt and his clothes, though.

He has NOT been arching his back or writhing in pain and he's not colicky. For the first time in the 3 years we've been going to him, I feel like I'm second-guessing our pedi (who I love).

I hate to be giving him the Zantac if it's going to make him spit up. (that stuff is nasty....for a LOT of GERD/EE sufferers, peppermint can actually aggravate reflux, it does mine)

I don't know whether or not it's silent reflux, I just know that my baby is congested beyond my means of decongesting him.

We are waiting for a sleep study to be performed, but wanted to hear other experiences on Zantac.
Andrea, Tec Me Quilts on Facebook!

April 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I KNEW I wasn't crazy! Well, not because of this!!! Hi! I'm Jessica. My son, Milo, has all sorts of issues, but among them, GERD. He had a g-tube, and for some reason, they didn't think that he needed a fundoplication at the time. (Ugh-had to go back in for that surgery!) Anyway, they sent us home with Zantac. First dose, Milo immediately vomited. I thought that it could be coincidence. I waited until later, same thing. And the other 4 times I gave it to him, same thing. I discontinued it, and they prescribed something else. Same thing happened. They were pretty sure that all the vomiting and all the acid was contributing to breathing problems. He has had a fundo and adenoidectomy recently, and he's not really any better, other than not projectile vomiting. He's now on Zegerid, which doesn't keep him from throwing up, but it changes the pH of the acid so that he won't burn his esophagus or lungs. The surgeon did a few studies that didn't show significant reflux, but Milo vomited ALL the time. He just wasn't getting it at the right time. They finally did an overnight pH study, and it showed a lot of reflux, even though Milo didn't throw up during the time that the probe was in. I DO believe that Zegerid saved a lot of damage. He's still on it because he does overproduce acid, and he still has breathing issues. The fundo helps, but it's not a cure-all.

Blah, blah, blah. I just wanted to let you know that we've been there. It's tough to tell the doctors over and over that you KNOW that it's getting worse, even when all medical studies show that it should be getting better. Ask them to switch his meds. Hopefully, that will give all of you some relief. If not, then I would ask about the pH probe. There may be something besides just acid problems. And once that's under control, perhaps a sleep study to make sure that the problems were related to reflux. I would sit down with whichever doc will listen to you for the longest and give your list of demands! Your child is suffering, and it's their job to help, not wait and see and hope it goes away.

Good luck! Hugs!
April 16th, 2009, 07:27 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son never had problems w/ Zantac, but it was also very clear that he had reflux. If what your LO has isn't reflux that could be why he's reacting that way. Personally, I'd give it at least another day or two...it could just be him getting used to it. Also, the Zantac can be made into a grape flavor, though most pharmacies charge a few dollars for this. The first time we had it filled we didn't do the flavoring. DS took it, but he always looked like he was swallowing a shot of strong booze, lol. Once we got the refill and had it changed to the grape flavor he actually started sucking on the dropper, LOL! Good luck!
Dominic (8/11/08) & Gabriella (7/21/10)

Cara's sweethearts
April 16th, 2009, 08:02 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam

I'm STILL waiting on the pedi to give me the referral for the sleep study. Henry's 2 month check up is next Tuesday, so I'll be asking then about it.

I was a really bad mommy and didn't give the Zantac, but did start it again today. I decided to go ahead and just start by putting it in his bottle. I know he needs it separately, but this is a way to start.

It must have done some good, because for the first time in three days, he took a really good day time nap. I do believe he has some reflux. It's hereditary, I have EE, my dad has Barrett's. It was only inevitable, kwim?

Wish I'd known abotu the pH probe with Sam....probably would have shown what I needed it to. He still has issues, though not as severe.

we tried the grape flavoring, Target pharmacy does it free. Didn't work though, I thought it smelled worse. like someone took a candy cane and coated it with grape jellybeans
Andrea, Tec Me Quilts on Facebook!

April 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
We have never used Zantac with Calleigh, we learned with Crystal it didn't do crap. We don't will only use Nexium or Prevacid. Prevacid is the only option at this age, because Nexium is adult capsult you give with food, or teach the kid to swallow the pill like I did my 2 yr old.

EE I know they have to have a endoscope biospy to confirm or deny, Crystal went thru it at 11 months. Its how they do all allergy testing in the GI field here.

Both girls have had Scanti Scan. UGI follow thrus, Ph probes, etc. Crystal has had 2 endoscopes so far.

My feelings are if my kids weren't screamers, back archers, spitters, MISERABLE SOB's I would never ever med them. Because of the fact that life with them without meds was much worse then with, I give the meds.

Crystal has aspirated more times then I want to know. She sleeps still on a angelcare monitor, i bought two as soon as she was taken off her apnea monitors at night. Calleigh is still on monitors at night so we are all good but I have the angelcare for night in case.

All these meds a GI will tell you needs 2-4weeks to take full effect.
All meds should be given 30m PRIOR to feeding, and if baby wont take alone, mix with SMALL less then 1 ounce of boobie milk, formula or water.
Both mine are crack ****** they take it straight lol

Here is the meds that I know are available for pediatrics. I would give it a bit then switch.
Prevacid, liquid, powder or tabs
Nexium capsules (must be over 6m i believe )
Axid (tastes like bubble gum) liquid
then there are generics like rinitidine etc.

NONE of the meds will stop SPITTING UP! NONE.
They are to reduce acid only so that its not painful. Crystal still spits up, difference at 2 she swallows it like a rider burp.
reglan (severe nuerological side effects) can help with gastric dumping to aid in spitting up reducing but..
theres also Domphiene but is only available in Canada. Which stinks because its the same as reglan but doesnt have the wacky side effects.
Crystal was on reglan and NEVER again would i do that to a child..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search