Reflux? What do you think?

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Veteran
Ds1 had a horrible case of reflux, and now I'm wondering if ds2 has it. Maybe I'm just paranoid. He had significant problems sleeping and was obviously in a lot of pain for several months, yet he didn't have any trouble eating solids. A couple of months ago, he was diagnosed with multiple food allergies. By avoiding the allergens, the problems are 80-90% better but still not completely resolved.

We're still trying to figure out if the remaining issues are caused by digestive intolerances or reflux. A month ago, I made his mattress flat (we had elevated the head months ago "just in case" of reflux). The next morning, he woke up with a very hoarse voice which continued for several days with no other sign of illness (no sniffles, no fever, nothing). The pediatrician looked at his throat and said it was "too red and irritated to be caused by GERD" but was negative for bacteria so must be a virus. We re-elevated the head of his bed and it eventually got better.

Well, he continued having issues to we decided to do a trial of Prevacid -- 15 mg in the morning (he's 22 lbs), prescribed by the allergist. On day #4 of the meds, we forgot and he didn't get it until 3 or 4 pm. He had trouble sleeping for the next several nights, and within 2 days his voice was completely gone--no other sign of illness. This is the second time we've seen this in the past month. It just seems rather odd.

It seems strange to have this hoarseness without reflux which makes me suspicious, but would missing one dose on day #4 cause such a significant problem (we're now in day 10 of medication and he still has no voice). Did anyone else's dc have hoarseness as a symptom? Was there redness and irritation visible to the dr looking in the throat? Do you think this is reflux?

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

June 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
The medicines for reflux build up so missing one dose wont cause a significant cause, plus all these medicines need 2-4weeks to get to full potentional. They dont cure over night.

When you were talking with multiple allergies and hoarseness etc. Has he ever been tested for EE?
Hes over a year, its uncommon for 'gerd' to rear its ugly head now. And EE is very VERY commonly misdiagnosed for years by doctors are gerd.

Here is information on it. My daughter was tested after she hit 11months and no signs of improvement from her Gerd. She had multiple food and other allergies. Etc... Its tested by a endoscope. More scary for us then them. He would be knocked out and test done and in recovery in 45-1 hour. They take biopsy's and test it for allergies, EE/egid and see the scarring if any from reflux.
I would ask for a referral to a pediatiric GI. You take him to allergist because he is more informed on treatment and allergies, a GI is more knowledgeable of all the possibilities of belly, stomach issues

EE/egid info...

Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Eosinophilic Gastritis (aka Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis)
June 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Veteran
Very interesting! He has not been tested for this. I will need to read some more. The hoarseness didn't start until after the allergens were removed from his diet, but it's still possible that something is triggering this. It will be interesting to see if the hoarseness continues after the Prevacid has had more time to work. I will read more and see if I can find a pediatric GI who I can trust. (We had some really really awful experiences with doctors with my oldest son.)

It's funny, but reading that info made me think of my oldest son. His 2 main symptoms were difficulty swallowing and heartburn. In fact, he could NOT swallow any non-liquids--not even baby food until he started Prevacid at 25 months. Then he did great for 6 weeks and started getting worse again. Even increasing Prevacid to the max dose and making dietary changes didn't resolve the issue. I really wonder if EE was the problem with him instead of GERD after all.

Thank you for mentioning this!

June 7th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
your welcome kup1 if you call your local hospital with a nicu the nurses are usually great at giving doctors who can help. i had to do it with my newest daughter being so early we need docs in our new town for her to just continue on care when we move, she cany afford lapses.

good luck

also we did prevacid with no help. Crystal got into a trial at 11m for nexxium and it did wonders. she still suffers but so much more manageable, Shes now 2.5 and 30lbs still on the same 20mg a day since 11m and its still all good.
you may discuss nexium with the doctor. she was 17lb when she started 20mg
June 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
HI STACY!!!!!!!!!!!, been too long. Have you talked to Dr Denson about ds2? I'm sure he would at least answer some questions for you without getting a referral. I'm still around if you need anything

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
June 11th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Veteran
MrsHowdy!! I'm surprised you remember me! It has been a very long time. The good news is that I haven't been around a lot because ds1 is doing so awesome! How is your little one?

We have a pedi check-up scheduled next month after the Prevacid trial is finished, and I think I'm going to request a referral to Children's GI dept. The more I hear about EE, the more sense it makes. In fact, last night ds had another episode of horrible stomach pain. His poor little belly was rock hard, and he was thrashing around so much that he kept falling off my lap even though we were both trying to keep him there. Benadryl did the trick, and I've been reading that Benadryl can help stop an EE reaction. The EE would explain why he has both upper and lower GI problems also. Hmmm . . . hopefully we'll get the answers we need soon. I really hate going through this process a second time!

Hope you and your family are doing well!

June 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
I hope you get the answers you need its nerve wrecking but be vigilant. kmp on yourself and DS

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search