Adding Rice

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2010, 06:22 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Were you told to add rice cereal to your baby's formula or pumped milk? Did you try it? Did it help any?

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
September 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is the only thing our Pedi was smart about in my opinion. We're a military family so we're stuck with whoever we are assigned to on base. But our Pedi said not to add anything to a bottle, it adds calories baby isn't ready for. Infants judge full differently than kids or adults. Instead of the stomach being able to discern differnt weights of foods and decide full based on what you eat a baby's stomach judges full on total volume. It's easy to add too many calories by adding things to formula or breast milk. He did have us start cereal as soon as Gabe could swallow from a spoon, for him it was about 8 weeks or so, but it only made the reflux worse for us.
September 16th, 2010, 11:33 PM
taterm's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had to add cereal. Her stomach would rumble and grumble without it and about 30 minutes later she would be screaming. And she would scream for about an hour and a half.
She is 8 months and we still add cereal. I am scared to try to take it out of her bottles again.
The pediatrician isn't worried about the added calories.

*Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!
September 17th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Our GI doc had us add rice to his bottles to thicken the formula/bm. When he had a bottle without it, he would spit up alomost everything (we would feed, weigh him, then weigh him again after he refluxed). Wesley was losing weight until we added rice. He is still a small guy, usually around 8% for weight, but he's healthy. I don't think it is great for all babies, but it helped us. He still gets rice mixed in with his Lactaid.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
September 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have Gabe on Silk, how does Wesly do with the Lactaid?
September 17th, 2010, 01:48 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
It was suggested but I opted not to. My pedi said that it sometimes helps but not always. Abri was gaining weight fine (she was pretty much latched on what seemed like 20 hours every day). I was worried that adding the rice cereal would fill her up too much and then affect my milk supply. I had a hard time breastfeeding my first, so I really wanted it to work this time.
September 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
He loves the whole milk Lactaid. He seems fine on it. He drinks it when he eats his snacks, so about 3-4 ozs a few times/day.

................ ...

Ruby (2.16.11)
September 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Adding rice + meds was going to be our next step to try after we tried AR formula. Fortunately he seems to be doing pretty well with the AR formula so we hopefully won't have to go to that.

September 27th, 2010, 05:35 AM
The "AR" means added rice, so that should be all you need. : )

................ ...

Ruby (2.16.11)
October 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Zombiie's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Zombiie Send a message via Yahoo to Zombiie
Our pedi suggested that we add rice cereal to DD's bottle because of her poor weight gain. DD would spit up nearly all the formula. I wanted to delay solids but I decided to add the rice cereal. She doesn't spit up as much now that we put the rice cereal in her bottle.

DD has her 4 month check up on the 12th, I hope she gained some weight. At her last doctor visit she was 9lbs 14oz (13 weeks old).

I think rice cereal is needed for some babies with reflux. DD's reflux is pretty bad, she needs the rice cereal.

TTC #2 since December 2010 (officially).
March 2012- Femara = BFN
April 2012= HSG
May 2012= 100mg Clomid IUI (no trigger shot)
October 2nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We tried the AR formula and luckily that seems to be working for us, but the pediatrician said if that didn't work we would add meds. But he also said we would have to go to a different formula and just thicken it with rice if we started meds (I think he said Zantac, maybe?) because they wouldn't work with the AR formula. I hadn't heard this before. Does anyone know the reasoning for this?

October 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Interesting. I've never heard of having to switch formulas to start meds. Wes was breast fed when he started meds. Maybe some other ladies will know more about that.

................ ...

Ruby (2.16.11)
October 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Zombiie's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Zombiie Send a message via Yahoo to Zombiie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent'sMommy View Post
We tried the AR formula and luckily that seems to be working for us, but the pediatrician said if that didn't work we would add meds. But he also said we would have to go to a different formula and just thicken it with rice if we started meds (I think he said Zantac, maybe?) because they wouldn't work with the AR formula. I hadn't heard this before. Does anyone know the reasoning for this?
I've never heard of that. My daughter is on Zantac and on Similac R.S, she's been on a ton of different medicine with her formula.

TTC #2 since December 2010 (officially).
March 2012- Femara = BFN
April 2012= HSG
May 2012= 100mg Clomid IUI (no trigger shot)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search