popping in from Jan DDC with a question

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM
mom2mady's Avatar Kami
My son was diagnosed with reflux when he was just a week old. We first did the liquid meds that worked for a little while and then went to the prevacid solutabs...along with doing soy formula. It worked like a charm! At 6 months we decided to take him off the meds to see if he had outgrown it. All seemed to go well so at 7 months we weaned him off the soy formula and back to regular. Now that he's 8 months old he seems to be fighting at feedings. Not necessarily arching his back like when he was first born, but trying to sit up completely straight while taking the bottle or squirming every possible way to the point he almost falls out of my lap! He will fuss somewhat with his solids but it's mainly with his bottle. I just end up giving up after he's had atleast 4 of the 6oz. per bottle. Don't worry, though, he's not going hungry!

Any ideas what the problem could be or what to try first? I don't know what would be better to try first...the soy formula or the meds. Or maybe it's something completely different?

We recently moved and I'm not really crazy about the pediatrician we have seen so I'm in the process of trying to find a new one (in case you're thinking I should just ask his DR.).

September 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM
dcdep's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd love to hear what others have to say....

But I will tell you that we have a great pedi, and he said that even if Elliott starts to act like he is feeling better (he is 6.5 months now), we will not be weaning him from Prevacid until closer to a year.

Our doctor said it can flare up and down during the first year, so there isn't any point. We have had several weeks where things were good, only to end up with a setback.

If you are wondering which to try, I would say it probably makes sense to start with the soy formula. If you had a good month on soy formula and no meds, try that again and see what happens. If things don't improve or worsen, then you can see if you need meds again. I'm all for trying everything before meds. Unfortunately our son is on what I consider a huge dose of Prevacid Maybe not to others, but definitely to me.
September 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would also just keep him on the soy formula, and see about getting him back on meds. If you think he is uncomfortable, it would be better not to take the chance that damage is being done to his esophagus if he is refluxing. I know at the age, Wes was pretty squirmy and acted up when I tried to give him a bottle just because babies start becoming more independent at that age. That might have something to do with his behavior too.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search