Feeding Question :)

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My LO is breastfeeding right now but due to PPD I am considering switching her to formula. She is still EBF right now. How did you ladies go about finding a formula for your LO's? I have been considering Similac just not sure which kind I will try or what will work best for her. She is 3 weeks old right now but will be a month old next Tuesday!
October 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't have experience choosing a formula with a reflux baby, but if you would still like to continue breastfeeding there are safe anti-depressants you can take. I started on Zoloft at 36 weeks pregnant and continued until she was about 3 months old as a preventative (I had PPD with my first). Whichever route you choose, I hope you can get back to feeling like yourself soon! It's important for you to be healthy so you can take care of your little girl.
October 8th, 2010, 06:34 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not to push you either way, but I have severe PPD with Wesley, and the only thing that ended up helping was breastfeeding. Once we got it down (8 weeks or so), and he did great eating, it was so helpful to both of us. It gave me all the happy mommy hormones, and bf'ing was the only thing that comforted him when his reflux was bad. He nursed to sleep, and I just wore him all day.

That being said, I dried up when he was 6 months (I was pregnant). He had food allergies, so he went on Similac Alimentum. He has been on Enfamil AR, and that works great for a lot of reflux babies. Weaning was a nightmare because he kept trying to get milk, but he did catch on and took the formula just fine.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
October 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
Sorry I have to advice.... My EBM was always fortified so I guess he was used to having a little bit of a formula taste from day 1 (as he was only 2lbs 7oz when born) as he had to have as many calories as he could get. When I had to switch him over to complete formula because of his sever lactose intolerance and reflux we just went haft and haft and then onto the formula 100% and he didn't really seem to care at all.

So sorry you have to go through all of this and I hope you find a good solution that works for you both
October 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just another thing to add in about FF and reflux. Most babies do better on BM since it is digested so quickly. If you wean and your LO's reflux is worse will it have a negative impact on how you feel each day? Will the added stress of flares add to your PPD or is the stress of BFing worse? It's a lot to think about and it is a hard decision to make so take your time and choose the one that works best for you.
October 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Mamas. I am still BFing my LO. We haven't even gave her a bottle of formula. I am going to get her insurance fixed tomorrow (my DH is in the military and they put her on a insurance her doctor won't take!) and then I will see her doctor Wed. morning! I think we would of both been better off by now if my doctor hadn't refused to give my LO any medicine to help with her reflux until "she is screaming all day & night.." the vomitting wasn't enough b/c she was gaining. I want to stick with the BF as long as possible. Hopefully we will get a solution to help both of us out on Wed. It is really hard dealing with PPD and having a LO who throws up almost every feeding. The refeeding is what makes it more difficult on me. I hope we get a solution!
October 12th, 2010, 05:54 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you can get some medicine. Reflux is so stressful no matter how you feed.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search