Help with Nexium for 8 week old

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son Jackson was diagnosed with reflux just this last wednesday. They wanted to put him on zantac but I know how horrible it tastes so I asked for something else. Our ped prescribed Nexium powder packs, so he gets 10mg once a day. The doc told me I could mix it with breastmilk or formula or water and give it to him from the bottle. I know that way he isn't getting the full dose because some of the granules don't dissolve and they are left behind in the bottle/nipple. Also is it even ok to mix with breastmilk or formula? How do you suggest giving it to a 2 month old? Are there any other meds that are easier to give? Also how long does it take for it to start working? I just want him to feel better!!!!
Jackson born August 2010

October 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We started on nexium but I didn't keep him on it long because of your issues. Since it's a suspension liquid the packet is full of filler and I DO NOT like giving a med that is so inaccurate in dosing. There is no way to know if one dose they are getting too much or too little. The liquid zantac isn't bad, it's just a very strong mint. It only took Gabe a couple days to adjust to the flavor. But it's not your onlly option, you can try prevacid either suspension (the pharmacy mixes it so it's accurate) or solutabs and there are others too. But zantac is usually the starting med since many cases are mild and over medicating can be damaging in the long run.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search