Choking- pLease help (not choking right now obviously...lol)

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter, Suzannah, is almost 3 months old (Nov4th) and was diagnosed with Reflux at 6 or 7 weeks. She is on .8ml of Zantac every 8 hrs.

She doesnt spit up..hardly ever (never has...she has silent reflux)

But in the last two weeks she has started vomiting and choking on it. This has happened probably 5 times in the last two weeks. She will be sleeping (not on back but in chair) and when I pick her up she will make an awful noise and let out this mucusy sticky vomit. Then she gasps and chokes on it. I have to hold her upside down and whack her on the back and sweep her mouth so she can breath again. She has turned blue/purple/bright red a few times and it really stresses me out.

Im taking her in tomorrow, but what should I ask for. What would help her?

Pyloric Stenosis was ruled out a few weeks ago. th scary thing is that this last time she choked she was on my shoulder! SCARY! What happens if she chokes when she is sleeping?

Any help would be amazing.
Suzannah (2.5)

October 24th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For starters, unless there is a solid object lodged in her airway you shouldn't be tapping her back it could cause her to suck air in and aspirate instead of clearing it out. Other than that you're doing everything right, turning her to face the ground and tipping her head down along with sweeping her mouth will clear any mucus. She may have a cold that is causing post-nasal drip, or it could be that the zantac isn't giving her enough relief and the acid is causing her to over-produce mucus. Also if she sleeps on her back put her on her side or preferably on her stomach so that she can clear her mouth sith gravity if it happens when she's asleep.
October 24th, 2010, 04:35 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree. We went through this with Wesley. I know it is sooo scary. Wesley slept on his stomach from his second day on because he was refluxing since birth (not silent). Ask about increasing her med dose, or switching meds if you haven't seen an improvement. I hope you get some answers tomorrow. *hugs*

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
October 24th, 2010, 11:24 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks for the advice girls I whacked her back more out of "oh crap what do I do" then anything else...the sweeping wasnt working fast enough. oops

I am terrified of tummy sleeping...I just cant do it. She loves to be on her tummy, but a good friend of mine lost her baby to SIDS when he was on his tummy. I know it could have happened regardless, but it scared the bejeezus out of me ever doing it.
Suzannah (2.5)

October 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With a reflux baby you shoud be more worried about mucus heavy vomit that they can't clear from their mouths. If she aspirates vomit she can get pneumonia almost overnight and if she's on her back and can't clear she can suffocate because the mucus acts like a plastic bag. Also most cases of SIDS with babies on their stomachs can be traced to too many blankets, stuffed animals or even pillows in the crib. If you remove everything except the baby, the bumper if you have one and a light blanket then chances are she'll be fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search