Starting Prevacid Solutabs *FAIL*

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I called Teddys GI today because he is still having reflux and liquid stools. Nothing was said about the liquid stools.. i'm going to have to bother them again i think... but they called in a prescription for Prevacid Solutabs. Anyone use these? Whats the best way to administer them if you do?

Last edited by alicenwonderland; April 23rd, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
April 21st, 2011, 08:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
what dose is he on? it's typically either 1/2 tab (7.5mg) once a day, twice a day or 15mg once a day.
I would guess at his age he needs it twice a day.
They are EASY to give! When Avery was this age, I would just break the tab in half and stick it in her cheek. Done! lol
Now that she is 21 months old, I just stick the whole tab on her tongue and she sucks on it while saying "mmmm" lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
he's only on 7.5mg once daily... not sure how i feel about it.. but he's not very severe. I tried just putting it in his cheek today... it disolved and he loved it and then he spit out all the beads... I kinda shoved them back in and gave him a paci. Disolving in a spoon seemed to work better. Still learning.

April 23rd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would start on 7.5 if that is what they did. Now it can ake 2-3 weeks to get full effects of the med, so don't give up early and think its not working.
If after 3 weeks its not working call and maybe bump him up. Most GIs I see don't do 7.5 once a day especially if baby is breastfeeding, because the body digests it too quickly.
Sometimes I would stick the tab in her mouth and nurse her right away, then she sucked it all down. But if the spoon works, go for it

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 23rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
well that was a fail. 48 hours after starting the solutabs, he is now having acid diarhea and not sleeping. His bottom is bright red. I'm guessing its some inactive ingredient.

April 24th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If you are giving it by spoon already dissolved then he is not getting enough of the medicine. Solutabs are meant to absorb directly into the blood stream in the mouth, when you have him swallow the meds they are going into his GI tract which will most inactivate the medicine he should be getting. Also sometimes their little bodies have to adjust to new meds and can have a small reaction to the change. Its best to let the med run its full 2 week trial before switching again. The constant change can be just as bad on their bodies as the reflux itself.

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
April 24th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowdy View Post
If you are giving it by spoon already dissolved then he is not getting enough of the medicine. Solutabs are meant to absorb directly into the blood stream in the mouth, when you have him swallow the meds they are going into his GI tract which will most inactivate the medicine he should be getting. Also sometimes their little bodies have to adjust to new meds and can have a small reaction to the change. Its best to let the med run its full 2 week trial before switching again. The constant change can be just as bad on their bodies as the reflux itself.
Actually, the solutab is just a method of administering the eteric coated med in a way children can swallow. All disolving it does, is break the binder. The enteric coating remains on the beads, which are swallowed.

But this is not our problem. The med actally worked very well! He had no reflux at all. But he immediately had a FPIES reaction with acid diarrhea (literally peeing out his butt) every couples hours until it was out of his system. This is a reaction i've only seen with him when he eats one of his trigger foods. He must be allergic to the binder. Asking his doc for a PPI in another form. I hear babies can have the beads from inside a regular capsule, but they just woulnd't have the yummy flavor.

April 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Ack his reflux is sooo awful. I'm giving it a second chance and hoping it was a coincidence.

April 26th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
remember it can take a few weeks to start working well as well. I mean yo might get some results sooner but full effect is 2-3 weeks.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 26th, 2011, 05:01 PM
It must work quick for him. 2 days in and his reflux is better again. Jury is still out on the poop situation though.

April 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
oh you can get results sooner but you get full effect in 2-3 weeks. Glad it seems to be helping now, but not so good on the poops!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 29th, 2011, 05:07 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you can figure out the poo issue. I'm glad it's working for the reflux.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
May 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
Question: Have you noticed his poo is like that only when he is having acid problems? My middle child has acid reflux pretty bad and when he has flair ups he gets watery poo.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search