Sooo confused....

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Zumbaholic's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Zumbaholic
Hi I'm new here not sure if I belong yet or what. Here is my issue and please tell me if any of you had this problem as well. My daughter who is my third child to have the lovely "colic" aka we don't know what the heck is wrong diagnoses has been having many periods of inconsolable crying so the milk sensitivity/allergy idea has been thrown around lately and they said that with that GERD comes hand in hand pretty much. Well my other two had this "colic" but weren't as bad as she is but around 3 months things just got better. So the doctor has been saying wait it out cause it usually gets worse before it gets better and that at 3 months there is usually a drast improvement. If by 3-4 months she is still having these bouts of crying for hours on end if not a good part of the day we will look into removing dairy and the possibility of GERD.

I've read some of the symptoms of it and it seems like a lot of times babies throw up alot especially projectile vomit and she's done that a handful of times in her life never really projectile. Basically she cries ALOT, is very gassy, has mucousy stools but then again she has had mild rsv, get hiccups very often and sometimes seems in pain but then again hiccups are annoying as an adult when you get them so as a baby I'm sure its the same. But alot of times she is fine then bursts into hysterics and the second I pick her up she will be fine for a few minutes then again just burst out crying. If I pass her to my husband once she's calm or anyone else for that matter she will fuss but again calm down then outta nowhere burst into hysterics. I'm breastfeeding her she refuses a bottle and I'm more than willing to change my diet. She's got 2 more weeks to the magic 3 month mark where my boys totally changed overnight and I know they say it takes about that long to learn if it is a milk allergy. Doctor said to wait till 3 months about and if it doesn't change then we will work on diet change but if she is in pain I hate prolonging it.

So do any of you mommies find this is similar to what your LO's went through before being diagnosed???

My Etsy Shop!
Eco-friendly toys and teethers for children, antique reproductions for your home,
princess canopies, cutting boards and other wood related items!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lizzytish2002

Last edited by Zumbaholic; April 22nd, 2011 at 12:55 PM.
April 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
first off... oh my goodness he is so stinking cute!!!!!!

anyways, I don't know about the wait and see approach, if a baby has reflux they need to be treated. If I were you I would tell them you want to treat her for reflux, with something. Different doctors take different routes on which one is best.
Most start off with Zantac (liek water for my daughter though) then move into stronger drugs.
The GI that I go to and the GIs my 2 friends with reflux babies, tend to go with Zantac first, then prevacid and then Nexium. Not including if they want to run "other testings"

I hate giving medications to my babies, but I would rather her be happy then in pain. BEsides if its bad enough, babies with severe reflux tend to stop eating because it hurts too much.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 22nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
sounds like protein sensitivity (milk allergy) that describes pretty much exaclty what happened with my son. Try cutting out all milk and soy. It helped us for a while... but eventually it stopped working and we're now on hypoallergenic formula.

April 22nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't like the wait and see approach at all, if your LO has reflux or GERD the stomach acid is coming up the esophagas and causes burns, irritations and even errosions. This in turn causes scar tissue which can cause long term issues. If you aren't getting anywhere with your Pedi ask for a referal to see a Pedi GI and get a second opinion before you just wait and hope it gets better.
April 25th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Zumbaholic's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Zumbaholic
Thanks guys spoke with the doctor this morning she's going to be starting Axid as soon as the pharmacy calls to tell me its ready. He agreed that once we put all the symptoms together the wait and see approach was not the right approach. We are also taking out dairy and soy to see how she does. Have to update the doctor in a week and hoping to have a slightly different happier baby by then but I know it takes time.

My Etsy Shop!
Eco-friendly toys and teethers for children, antique reproductions for your home,
princess canopies, cutting boards and other wood related items!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lizzytish2002
April 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a good plan. Axid and a diet change worked wonders for our son Wesley.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search