Need help so confused

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Jesse's_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Jesse's_girl
Hi ladies I have a 3 week old daughter, we were breastfeeding she was fighting with my breast every feeding never seemed satisfied after she ate and was having an insane amount of poopy diapers. She also wasn't sleeping at all for more than 10-20 min at a time the nights were a killer. We decided to weigh her here at home and she went from 6lbs 4 oz to 5 lbs 13 oz. So I called the pedi and they had us come in on Saturday when they weighed her there she was 5lbs 8 oz. The pedi asked if we have a family history of milk problems which we have a long line of it so he had me just pump for now and give her soy formula till he sees her again on Tuesday for a check up. She did amazing on Saturday and that night slept great. Then on Sunday morning she spit up all over my mom and herself her next feeding no spit up then the one after I fed her and put her in her car seat to leave and she spit up so much it came out of her nose. I called her pedi and he said she may also have reflux and to put rice cereal in her formula I was way uncomfortable with this so I haven't done it yet. She hasn't spit up since the car seat episode. However she is back to not sleeping and is now screaming in pain every now and then. I bought some hypoallerginic formula that is supposed to be for babies who are allergic to soy and milk. I just started that late last night so I don't know if it is going to help. My question is does she really have reflux or is she having a reaction to dairy and soy. She also hasn't pooped since yesterday at 6:00pm. The doctor said if it is reflux than he will prescribe an already digested forumla is this better then taking the reflux medicine?

If you have made it this far thank you
June 16th, 2011, 08:23 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
It sounds like your baby has MSPI (Milk soy protein intolerance) over 50% of milk intolerance babies, also have soy intolerance. Its usually not recomended to try soy at first. I recomend you try nutramigen or Alimentum. They are extensively hydrolyzed.

I'm sorry, i know how frustrating it is first hand. My son is senstive to MANY things, not jsut milk and soy. You can take milk and soy COMPLETELY out of your diet. Not even trace amounts in anything, meaning reading food labels. I did this for 3 months with my son successfully... until he started reacting to other things. Now we are on Neocate prescription formula and doing well.

If you do choose the diet route, it can take up to 6 weeks for the milk proteins to come out.. so progress will be slow. Breastmilk is also a natrual antacid so it helps with the reflux. We are having a lot of reflux issues on formula, though its helped him so much.

PM me if you have any questions.

June 25th, 2011, 11:53 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
I definently think something is causing her pain, be it the milk coming up (and coming out her nose will hurt for days!!) and the spilling just rings both reflux and intolerance.

I think she needs to get all that dairy out of her system and go onto an elemental formula like Neocate for a while. My daughter was hideously underweight due to reflux and sensitivities. I tried to eliminate everything from my diet but I lost so much weight, my milk stopped and I had a starving baby who was dehydrated. Take a lesson from that -- go the elemental formula way!!

Bub is at a very low weight and you need to get water into her, via a dropper or your finger, just to make sure. Keep count of her wet nappies and if they start dropping, go in before your appt on Tuesday.

Like Alice said in the post before, often sensitive babies will develop more sensitivities and it is so hard to eliminating things out of your milk. I was down to pumpkin, orange sweet potato and olive oil. Not fun!!

Also, do you have access to a baby hammock? Often the pressure of lying on your back can make the esophagus tighten, which is not fun for a baby already forcing milk out.

She sounds over-tired, underfed and exhausted. And so are you, I imagine. Call in the reinforcements and get her onto the elemental formula until she's regained weight.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
June 26th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I think any dietary chance is welcomed over the drugs. Drugs for a baby that size come with hefty side effects. Zantac will be a first line drug, and he may well prescribe gaviscon for her as well. The liquid zantac is a mint flavour that is horrid. The gaviscon is ok. We had hit and miss success with it. Sometimes it was all that was needed and other times it did nothing at all.

Zantac has a great reputation for working in the beginning. Once bub gains weight, you have to up the dose. Sometimes the dose goes up just 1ml and you think, really? But yes! Even that 1ml is enough to not be effective.

The next line is something like Prilosec or Somac. This is where the side effects start to really get serious. My baby lost all her hair, was getting migraines and stopped sleeping because the drug was just too high.

It took weeks to wean off.

We just went back onto the Losec and she developed a bacterial infection of her bowel because of the acid production was stopped and the bacteria could flourish.

I would take a bottle-fed baby (even weighing it down with a thickener or rice cereal) over the drug route. I wanted to breastfeed at all costs and it really did come at a cost. No one slept, no one ate. I developed severe PPD and it took years for my daughter and I to bond properly.

I don't mean to share my story as a scare tactic, but try all dietary routes as they're so easy to change and manage before having to juggle 3 drugs at once.

Good luck. Read what you can online and talk to your paed. If you need to vent or scream or just chat, pm me.

Jen + Matt
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

June 29th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Sorry it took me so long to respond we went to Indiana to see family and I have had no tme to get online as she wants to be held all the time. I finally put her on Similac Alementum (spelling?) she seemed to do a little better but she was still coughing at every meal waking constantly so I talked to the ped and he started her on zantac yesterday so I am hoping this helps he still wants me to thicken with rice cereal which I am still not comfortable with. I am so sad seeing her in pain it breaks my heart. She has gained weight she is up to 7.2 yay!!! I think she has silent reflux because she doesn't really spit up it has only happened twice but she does gag and then act like she is chewing and then swallows this was really bad yesterday after her hep b shot I am thinking no more shots till she outgrows this reflux it was awful last night
June 30th, 2011, 07:06 PM
We delayed vax because Soph was having so many reflux issues. People can give you a bunch of hell for it, but honestly, it was the best choice for her.

Zantac should work quite quickly once it's in the system.

There should be a more natural thickener for formula, made from Arrowroot or something similar. We tried it a few times and it was hit or miss (as was EVERYTHING!).

It can take up to 3 weeks to get the other food sensitivities out, so it might be a couple rough weeks for you guys.

Can you get her into a hammock or an upright bouncy chair for her to sleep in? Getting her head propped up, especially during feeding, will help quite a bit.

If she's coughing/choking during feeds and afterwards, it is silent reflux.

Keep us updated. It's such a hard road.

Jen + Matt
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

July 5th, 2011, 04:36 AM
She is doing so much better now that the Zantac is in her system we have actually seen smiles this weekend instead of screams it has been wonderful.
July 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
glad she is doing well! If that zantac seems to stop working (which is common after a period of time) you can look into a proton pump inhibiter like prevacid or prilosec. that was the breakthrough for my son.. That and formula

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search