need help..

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Mama to Aidan & Caleb
hello ladies,

looking for some advice, my son is 4 months and he was diagnoised with reflux at 6 weeks. I used to breastfeed but stopped at 12 weeks, he's been through so many formulas its ridiculous even Similac Alementum (spelling?) and he's hasn't kept 1 whole bottle down. Ive tried rice cereal but that hasn't helped either, he's on Zantac but i believe its pointless. I don't know what to do anymore, he's okay weight wise but he's uncomfortable and cronically seems starving even when he was just fed within the hour, he goes through atleast 5 outfits a day, more bibs then i count, countless burp cloths and usually a roll of paper towels. Sometimes its even coming out his nose or coming up almost yellow in color. There has even been times he gags but theres nothing left to come out. We go through a few screaming tears rolling down the face crying episodes a day which break my heart, I'm just so lost anymore. It seems like everytime we see the doctor they write it off as either normal or a stomach virus, which i know its not. Does anyone have any advice for me, if so I would greatly appriciate it.

((Thank you so much Bokkechick for my beautiful signature photo))
June 30th, 2011, 07:12 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
Find another paed.

If this milk is coming out the baby's nose and is chronically hungry (possibly dehydrated as well), you need medical help and investigation.

In my opinion you need to do a course of the formula NEOCATE to clean out any possible milk/soy proteins which might be the cause of his unrest.

Zantac is pretty pointless in a baby with serious issues as it lasts so briefly and is spit out so frequently.

Doctors don't know a lot about babies, especially if this is a family practitioner you're seeing. So many will say, it's JUST colic or their stomachs are so immature, etc.

I would think if you're baby is 18 weeks old and has a yellow fluid coming out the nose, a doctor would want a barium swallow or an endoscopy to see if there is chronic esophagitis or even eosinophillic esophagitis.

I know how hard it was with my daughter. She had chronic esophagitis and never wanted to swallow anything at all and would work to spit things out vs swallow them. This was a huge symptom.

Can you get him into a bumbo and try feeds in that so that he's completely upright? And a hammock to take the pressure off his back while he sleeps?

You need a doctor who will listen and HEAR what you are saying, not just nod and keep going with what they want.

You need serious investigation for this baby. He's probably hungry, thirsty, exhausted from chronic sleep deprivation. He feels like crap, plus all the other things. Physical development, growth spurts, having to have his clothes changed so often, stress around the family.

It's a horrid time and you probably need someone to relieve you a few hours a day just so that you can find your mind, spirit again.

How is his poo? Is he constipated a lot? I know my daughter was always constipated and that caused a lot of pain for her too.

Hugs. I know how hard it is and I am sending a ton of hugs your way.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
July 1st, 2011, 01:13 PM
Mama to Aidan & Caleb
What makes Neocate help?? I'm currently using Similiac sensative for spit up, he seems to be doing a little better on this when he was with the similiac alimentum which was basically pouring out of him.

((Thank you so much Bokkechick for my beautiful signature photo))
July 2nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
If the new formula is working then stick with it. Poor guy, I really feel for him. I don't have access to the formulas you've tried so my only reference is going to Neocate.

Neocate has no milk/soy/dairy/animal proteins at all. It's completely elemental.

This is from the site:

Neocate is a hypoallergenic, nutritionally complete powdered infant formula designed for babies and young children with severe Cow Milk Protein Allergy and/or Multiple Food Protein Intolerances (e.g. allergies to soy protein, hydrolysed protein in other infant formulas, fish, eggs and nuts).

Neocate provides all the necessary nutrients required for an infant's and young child's growth and development. It contains 100% free amino acids and is manufactured in a milk protein free environment.

Neocate rapidly relieves the diverse symptoms of severe infant food allergy and can be used for a range of allergy induced conditions such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and eosinophilic esophagitis (EE).
Neocate has been recommended by the doctor and/or dietician because of the difficulty your baby has in tolerating or in digesting other infant formulas.

(Neocate)

Make sure he's having plenty of wet diapers and hopefully this sensitive formula will help him settle.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
July 9th, 2011, 12:28 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
My son was horrible with similar symptoms until he was put on neocate and prilosec. (the adult kind) he was allergic to the compounded liquid. I open a capsule and give him the beads.

July 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Zantac never did anything for my DS. If the formula is working ok that he is on now, stick with it. I agree with the others, talk to your pediatrician about other medications. *hugs*

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search