SN GERD Babies?

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2011, 09:44 PM
qberry's Avatar Quinn - Mommy to 3
We started on liquid prevacid and added liquid Zantac then about 8 weeks ago we moved to dissolving prevacid instead and will be moving to prilosec in 2 weeks.

Just recently we were diagnosed with a genetic disorder and one of the issues is GERD so we are moving in for the long haul.

She is 9 months, 14lbs and 25". Moved from rocking sleeper to pack and play bassinet. Seems to have caused more upset but unsure of the options.

Does anyone have any advice?
July 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
Anything that is in a liquid state has the risk of being less effective based on whatever it is compounded with. Something like cough syrup is quite stable whereas something like antibiotics or an acid reduction agent is less stable.

Prilosec granules are in their optimum state as a granule. They are enteric coated so as not to be digested until they are passed through the stomach.

When you make it into a liquid, you don't have that luxury, so a lot of it can be affected by the stomach acid itself and only marginally effective in some people.

We found prilosec liquid was just a pure waste of time. I can imagine it's the same with any PPI that the pharmacy is compounding.

I would think anything that is putting hard pressure onto her back will cause an upset. There is a sort of negative pressure that is exerted onto the esophagus which can cause quite a bit of pain.

Can you look into a hammock or baby swing to keep her more upright? If you can elevate the pack n play, that might help as well.

Make sure to keep the dose accurate for the Zantac as she will need it constantly upped as she gains weight. If you want to wean her off it, make sure you do it slowly as suddenly stopping any of these drugs can worsen the reflux.

What sort of milk is she taking?

Also, what is the genetic disorder, if you don't mind me asking. I have TRAPS and reflux is one of the symptoms.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
July 27th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We had to roll up a comforter under Danny's crib mattress to keep him elevated. It didn't elevate him much but it was enough that he wasn't laying flat but little enough that he didn't just roll down to the bottom of the crib. When he was quite young we did liquid prevacid as well and it worked wonderfully. I don't know much about prilosec though. Prevacid was the only medication that finally helped Danny. He still threw up at least a dozen times every day but he stopped screaming in pain when he did. We finally found out that at that point he had an egg allergy that made him throw up that often. He had another ph probe done yesterday and we will get those results back tomorrow but based on the endoscopy alone it looks like either reflux or the beginning stages of EoE. He has mild gastritis and esophagitis and many many many ulcers from his duodenum down into his small intestine.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
Hugs, hugs, hugs for Danny and your family. Sophie had ulcerations on her esophagus from so many bouts of esophagitis. It's just awful for them. It's breaking my heart reading about Danny.

I am hoping he doesn't have EE and that they can find a treatment for him. And I hope he feels better soon.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
August 9th, 2011, 04:22 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the other mamas stated above. We were able to keep Wesley in a Papsan swing, sitting more upright, for a long time, but our daughter refuses to sit upright (despite her reflux).

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search