HELP giving prevacid soulble tabs to 2 year old

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2011, 05:57 PM
My son was just prescribed this. He was on zantac which didn't work, nexium which did, but insurance won't cover, and now prevacid. We have tried putting it in his mouth to disolve but he screams and scrapes it off his tounge or spits it out. We can't even get near him with a syringe since the zantac, he just spits it all out. Please does anyone have some tips on how else to give this to him that might work. Can I mix it with anything, any ideas would be great.
August 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds horrible, but I just held my son down and put the oral syringe towards the back of his throat when I pushed, so he swallowed the dissolved medicine. After that, I put on his favorite movie or gave him a little treat. I have to do the same to brush his teeth, lol. Good luck!

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
August 10th, 2011, 06:38 PM
HE doesn't spit it back out at you? When we used the srynge with zantac that's what he'd do.
August 10th, 2011, 07:21 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No. He usually doesn't fight it. I used to get his liquid meds flavored, so I think he still expects it to taste good. Sorry you are having such a hard time. Maybe some other moms will have ideas.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
August 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
You can call the doc or pharmacy to make sure but you should be able to add it to a little bit of juice or milk and then give him the drink. Maybe a 1/2 inch in the bottom of the cup and then if he wants more juice/milk give him more???

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

August 19th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is also 2 and is also just starting previcid. Right now she just started with an oral solution which she won't take so I got the OK from the pharmacist to mix it in some applesauce and give it to her right away. It's still a battle, so now the doctor has prescribed it in a capsule form which has little beads -- not powder! -- and I can open the capsule and dump the contents in some juice for her to drink. I haven't started that yet but I expect it'll be better because it's not supposed to change the taste of the juice.

Good luck!
December 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM
sunnysky24's Avatar Super Mommy
Can you mix it with anything and give it through a medicine binky? That works with Max??

]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search