Hello! and Help?

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, my name is Shannon and I'm mommy to Liam (4) and Emerson (10 months). Emerson was first prescribed Zantac at 10 weeks old for Silent Reflux. At 6 months, he seemed to be doing well so we weaned him from meds (with Dr's approval). He did well for a while, but symptoms gradually returned and by 8.5 months, we were back on Zactac. A month later, we had a follow up with the Pedi who suggested we try Prevacid since he still had symptoms. After a week on Prevacid, he was the worst we'd ever seen him and we went back to Zantac (1ml 2x a day) in the last couple of weeks, we've added another dose daily (again with Dr's approval).

We're still dealing with anywhere from 4-10 wakings per night, small frequent feeds, and of course the fact that he's generally not comfortable. So many times, I've heard Prevacid was a wonder drug for so many kids. I'm tempted to try it again, but I'm just not sure.

Did/do your LO use Prevacid? Was it alone or in conjunction with another med? Was there a "break in" period while he/she got used to it? Should we have just stuck it out longer?

Thanks!

December 30th, 2011, 07:31 PM
sunnysky24's Avatar Super Mommy
I think you have to give it 30 minutes before eating and give it a week or two to really kick in. The wonder drug was Nexium for us but we had to wait a week for it to really kick in. Your best bet is to talk to the Pedi.

]
December 31st, 2011, 08:38 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
Prevacid isn't prescribed for kids here. We are only allowed to give Zantac or Prilosec (Losec). The thing with PPIs is that they are incredibly weight sensitive. So, if that dose wasn't right, gaining weight will make it even *more* not right.

They are also very dependent on how much food or liquid there is and for the most part, they are absorbed in the bowel vs the gut, but with babies, especially when a tablet or capsule is made into a liquid, it will be absorbed into the gut, rendering it useless.

My best bet would be to get a barium swallow done and see just how much liquid is coming up and go for a milk based food that is either elemental like Neocate or something for refluxers like Pepti junior. If you can't swing those, goat's milk is having HUGE success simply because it's protein is more like human milk than cow or soy. However, the more you can get them off dairy and onto pure fruit and veggie, with some meat, the more success you might have as it's harder to reflux heavier liquids and solids.

As an adult, I have GERD, but mine is a weak LES muscle vs food intolerance. I was prescribed Pantoprazole which I believe is Nexium for you guys. It was BRILLIANT. It's no longer prescribed here, as they've gone for the cheaper drug Losec. It took me about 4 months to really get used to switching drugs because it just wasn't that great in my opinion. If you can get the nexium, try that, but really watch for weight gain and make sure it's not absorbed with food.

As an adult, I have to take my losec 30 minutes before breakfast, though I can have it with liquids like juice or a cup of tea. You might try giving him the PPI with something acidic like orange juice or even puree fruit as that will stop the stomach trying to absorb it and will give it more of a chance to get to the intestine.

Hugs Mama. The period from 9 months to 18 months was, for us, worse than the newborn period when the zantac seemed to help quite a bit. I think a lot of the worst affected refluxers are also very sensitive to stimulation, so look into sensitivities with sound, taste, touch, etc and tried to really cushion all of that.

If you're not eating, you can't sleep. If you can't sleep, you can't poo. And if you can't poo, you can't eat or sleep. That's a recipe for a hugely overstimulated baby who's completely out of sync with the world.

This is a good list for sensory issues: SPD Symptom Checklist For Infants And Toddlers

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
January 4th, 2012, 11:05 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for your input! I called his pedi who suggested we give Prilosec a shot. She felt that the reaction to the Prevacid may have been due to side effects rather than not sticking it out long enough.

He's been on the Prilosec for 6 days. Of course, now he's got a cold and teething, so it's hard to tell how much it's helping. He's still a handful, but so far seems to have gone from screaming to crying. It's a step in the right direction, I guess.

January 5th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We use prevacid now and it was the only thing that worked with his baby reflux as well. (He is now 4.5 years old and we had to restart it about 8 months ago after d/c since 2009.) The biggest thing we noticed with him as a baby was not that he didn't vomit anymore...he just didn't scream when he did. That was as good as we could get for him. :/ I really hope the prilosec does if for you guys!!!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search