Help???? Best Medications???

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Veteran
My daughter is 5 months old and has acid reflux really bad. If often hurts for her to eat and she will eventually refuse to eat at all. She also spits up often, even three hours after her last feeding. The dr. put her on Zantac which worked pretty well for a while and then stopped, he increased it and it helped and than stopped, increased it again and it didn't help. So we went back and he put her on metoclopramide in addition to the zantac. I'm trying to give it a chance but im just not sure. She is more tired than normal, fussier over all, and she is eating ok when she is sleeping through her feedings, but when she is awake she is till arching her back and pulling away. She is coming back to the bottle like she is starving but then arches and pulls away again.

I feel like all I do is give the poor thing medicine. She is only 5 months and 10 pounds and I give her 1.2 ML of Zantac twice a day, 0.5 ML of metoclopramide 4 times a day, gas drops after every feeding, a vitamin once a day, and soon she is going to be starting on Propranlol to treat her hemangioma on her neck. I feel bad for her, and hate to have her on so many medications. I'm scared at some point she is going to have a reaction to everything.

I also wonder if her hemangioma could be pressing on her throat causing some of her problems or bothering her ear. We are going to the ENT on Monday so I should find out if it is affecting her throat and/or ear.

What medications have worked best for your little ones? What are your experiences?
February 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Prevacid has always been best for Danny by far. Our experience with zantac alone was like yours. It would get better then stop working, get better with an increase, then stop working, etc. Prevacid has always helped. Lately he has been having more issues but he is also having more issues overall. Don't get me wrong though. He still threw up a LOT....the difference was that he was in no pain and didn't scream when he threw up anymore... He is now on 22.5 mg of prevacid (15 am and 7.5 pm) and 3ml of zantac 2x daily.

The ENT will definitely be the best person to tell if the hemangioma is pushing on anything. They may order a scan or be able to tell from just looking but he will know where to go on that one.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Veteran
Hi,

I feel for you and hope this helps. My daughter has been on prevacid since she's about 1 month old. I know it hurts to always give them medication, but she became a new baby when we gave her the meds. Prevacid works but if the dr prescribes it, be careful if the pharmacy prepares it...I have it prepared for max 5 days. I had a bad experience in the beginning which actually did the contrary effect, it created more acid as the medication became unstable and therefore was not working anymore. this is my own experience and has worked for us. I find that as she is teething, it's getting a bit worse but I'm still at a very small dose of 1.5ml in the morning and 1.5ml at night

If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search