Silent Reflux Help

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DDSMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Hi,

My LO is 6 weeks old today, and we are first time parents. At 2.5 wks old we started to notice that she was clearing her throat and making chirping noises after nursing and bubbles would come out of her mouth. Hiccups all the time, arching her back with the noises, waking up crying mid nap, crying during nursing, sneezing. Now we are in a full swing silent reflux nightmare. Dr tells us she is gaining well (at 2oz/day!) and not to worry...all babies have reflux. I am telling him, my baby is in pain, wakes every 20 min to one hour screaming. She wants to nurse all the time. He did put her on 1ml zantac every 12 hours when she was 7lbs, 10oz and told us to put her to sleep in her car seat or elevate the crib. The zantac didn't seem to help, but then again I think she was overeating. Now I wonder if her zantac dose needs to be increased. Turns out silent reflux babies either eat very little due to pain or eat a ton trying to soothe their throats. I am going to share what in the past 72 hours we have tried and would like any input.

1. I exclusively pump. We needed to get out of the vicious cycle of eating too much, having pain, and eating again to soothe
2. She gets 2oz every 2 hours
3. We burp her for 15-20 min upright
4. We hold her upright until at least 30 min after feeding
5. I have completely changed my diet and cut out all products containing milk and soy, no processed foods etc. I can post the diet if someone is curious
6. We push (me more than husband and grandma) pacifier as much as possible to create more saliva to keep the acid down
7. We keep her either on her back in an elevated crib, elevated pack-n-play or swing
8. We don't let her get to crying for food if we can help it.

Due to the above someone has to be with her all the time. It's so stressful. I go back to work in 2 weeks and currently take the nighttime shift. With all of the above changes, she is at least getting in solid naps as opposed to not. She also cries much less. We've tried to push her with 2.25-2.5oz to extend her naps, but it just gets worse. I am sure she was getting way too much milk nursing, and I was worried I had a supply issue. I don't have a supply issue after pumping; she has silent reflux. Before my internet searching, we got like 3.75oz in her once...that was a really bad afternoon.

After going to pediatrician multiple times and him continually blowing me off, I asked for a pediatric GI referral. he also gave me alimentum and told me to use this for a day to start to get a supply for work stocked. She had an elevated temp of 100 and got diarrhea. We see the occasional green stool here and there and today she had a bout of diarrhea again. Dr over the phone said maybe a barium swallow, but when he saw her one of the times and her weight gain he said she was fine. He thinks she doing great! and continually asks how I am doing. I know I look tired, but I asked my mom if I looked like a hag when we left.

Any silent reflux moms out there, what helped, how long did it take to get better? Any working silent reflux moms? Any comments on zantac and/or prevacid? I hear prevacid is hard to get off once on...why? Anyone go to pediatric GI and was it helpful. Anyone change their diet and did it help? Pretty much any comments at this stressful time would be great. Anyone try a chiropractor or infant massage or a probiotic?

Thanks,
DDSmommy
tmac likes this.

Tags
chiropractor , prevacid , silent reflux , zantac

« Reglan | GER- Reflux | - »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search