Did your doctor brush you off at first?

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Mama Melissa's Avatar Bienvenue Canada
Our experience with our pediatrician in the beginning stages of Jacob's reflux were not so good...the doctor brushed off my concerns as "normal"...I knew something wasn't right...and when the symptoms got worse it was obviously reflux to me! He finally believed me!

Melissa

August 18th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cassie Send a message via MSN to Cassie Send a message via Yahoo to Cassie
Our doctor didn't believe us either. "Babies spit up," she said. Yeah they do, but not a few ounces halfway across the room after every feeding!! It took significant weight loss and dehydration for our doctor to listen to us.

August 18th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
Yes! We actually had to switch peds. The first doctor completely dismissed my concerns. She seemed convinced I was just a first-time mom who worries too much. She actually diagnosed him with colic. I asked, "Is it normal for a baby to only have colic when he eats?" He had gone 3 weeks without gaining any weight and he was absolutely miserable at every feeding (yet happy and silly when he wasn't eating ). Once I realized it was reflux, I printed out pages and pages of info and took them to his next appt. She completely ignored my concerns and refused to even consider medication. She said, "All babies spit up" and "He's fussy because he has colic. He'll outgrow it at 3 months." We found a new ped the very next day and she's been wonderful. We tried zantac. He hated the taste (even with grape flavoring mixed in) and he had a reaction to it so we switched to axid. He loves it (tastes like bubble gum) and he no longer screams through every feeding.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
August 18th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Meegan
I got really lucky and got a ped that has tons of experience with the reflux. He was worried for awhile that it was Pyloric Stenosis, so he was watching Christian's weight closely.
August 18th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Dayna1
I switched doctors as well. She didn't listen to what I had to say. I told her that Brayden was throwing up not spitting up. She kept saying spitting up is normal, burp him every ounce. I know the difference between throw up and spit up.

He has miserable. I spoke to two different doctors, both weren't concerned so I'm now at a new doctors with him and he is doing everything he can to help his reflux. The first doctor said not to change his formula from Enfamil Lipil with Iron. She said everything was great. That really pissed me off. The new doctor takes this seriously.
August 19th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were really lucky with our Pedi. He made sure we tried all the non-medical things first before giving a Rx but he was great with keeping an eye on Alex and listening to my concerns and acting on them.

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
August 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
irishxrose
Joshua's Pedi was awesome; she listened to our concerns, and diagnosed correctly.
August 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Mama Melissa's Avatar Bienvenue Canada
Ever since becoming a mommy I am a true beleiver in mother's instinct...I hope our pediatrician renews Jacob's medication...if not I'll be looking for a new one!

Melissa

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search